Bonzer fins etc.

About to start a new project, and thinking along the lines of s bonzer set-up. Had a thruster with a bozer bottom configuration as a kid and it went well. For this board I’m going for the more traditional five finned design (like the great black one in the resources). What I need to know is fin angle for the sides, does 7 degrees sound about right, and 8" for the back fin (in a box or not?). All advice will be helpful. The board is to be 6’6" by 19 1/2" by 2 1/2".

I don’t own a bonzer but 7 degrees sounds way off to me (not enough cant)… those side runners are really tipped. A couple posts in the archives say 18 degrees, that sounds a lot more in the ballpark to me based on the bonzers I’ve seen & handled.

By ‘traditional’ do you mean glassed on fins? 'Cause if you’re thinking about going with fin boxes, I think I read in one of the threads recently a post from Tom at Daum/RedX saying that they had a template for installing the Bonzer setup for the RedX fins… Sorry, can’t remember which thread - way past my bedtime and I’m spending way too much time pressing the backspace key to correct my typos from brain shutdown…

Good luck…

OK, found the post. Was from Nov. 2003, but I’ll bet he still has the template. I just typed “RedX bonzer” into the search and it was the second hit down, titled “bonzer fin settings and red x installation”. Now I’m off to bed…

The fin box was for the larger back fin to “fine tune” it. The sides will be glassed on.

Bonzer side runners are supposed to be set at 20 to 22 degrees. Most important is that the 2 fins on both sides are at the same angle. If you set them at 7 degrees, you will not have a “bonzer”.