bonzer side fins ['runners']

I've just cut down my blue tint keels / turned into half moons [didn't like either setup ] , so now I'm going to try them in incarnation #3 .... [uncanted] bonzer3 runners !

They will, at least , have 6 degrees of cant ....when placed in the probox , in my orange 6'er. At present , they are in the walden diamond tail's back side plugs.

Because I'm still not 100% certain on the finished size I'll settle on , I did a "google" search , looking for a few different setups to get me going .....

bonzerrunners

my one question ...were the "bonzer3" *  setups a bit too 'tracky' ....

http://bonzer5.com/history/timeline/1971-the-second-generation/

..... is that why the two large side runners  were split into two smaller runners per side , to make the "bonzer5" setup we have today ??

http://bonzer5.com/history/timeline/1983-grow-fins/

cheers !

ben

...the existing cutdown measures

6 1/2" base x 3 3/8" depth x c 1/8" [?!] rake.

I'm thinking ...

6 -6 1/4 base x 2 3/4 or even 2 to 2 1/2" depth [I've made cardboard templates for all three] ....

my thinking at the moment is ....

"IF" I do them 'mid-sized' , I can still do the 'bonzer5' setup with them too, as well as using them as a [modified ] 'bonzer3' type setup....

this , [along these lines , anyway ] , appeals to me at the moment ...

[this 'runner' shows on my screen now as around 6 1/4" base by just on 2" deep ]

.... but , with a slightly more curved leading edge , like the li'l "carbon strip inlays" pair that  I previously made ....[and perhaps a smidgeon deeper , too...]

.... to be continued....

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012res008.jpg

I was playing around with these last night , and when I put the [so far] single-foiled blue ones in the plugs , I DID actually get a few degrees extra 'cant' out of them , when the runners were switched [ie:  putting the flat  inside edge , on the outside edge]

Probably be double-foiled in the end , and it could be worth giving some thought to the tabs , so I CAN  have the ? 22 degrees ? of cant [in the walden , fcs-plugged setup ].  

I have OTHER very small runner type ones lying around , and their tabs are wafer thin , so as I did with the curved fin panel , when I get more resin , I shall have a go at building / ?moulding fin bases? [a thread] into the existing small ones , for the "bonzer5" option , also .

I've always WANTED to ride both a bonzer3 and a bonzer5 type board , since I first saw photos of them in the magazines [just as much as I have wanted to ride a six-channel pintail in good waves ]...now I might , finally , have the chance .

It may not be a Campbell Brothers one , unfortunately [I'd LOVE to borrow Simon's one !] , but it 'could' be FUN [HOPEFULLY !]  to try to feel out what those fin setups, combined with the decent double concaves , and 'chine' in the Walden , do...

cheers !

ben

very nice chippy, i have never ridden a bonzer but would love to someday. ride report once they get all done!

Looking good Ben. More pics please !

Ben, they look incredible, very nice work indeed

I like the look of the bottom left,  the cant will be important, I can’t wait for some feedback on this topic as I’ve got a bonzer type board in the wings as you know mate

well, window period ...day off , howling onshore , ugly day [but no rain thankfully ... and , the place to myself !]

got them done , and even cut out those mini curved fins panel too ...yeehaaawwww !!

so ...here they are , in the board...

(funny you should mention the bottom left one , digs , that's pretty much what I went with too ... 6 1/4" base , around 2 1/2" deep [ 2 3/4" ,  and 3" depth  just looked too deep , to me ?] )

....now , when the wind swings ['one day' !] ,  I can't WAIT to give these a go !!

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012053.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012055.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012054.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012056.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012059.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012075.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012077.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012060.jpg

bonzerrunnertemplatesapril3rd2012061.jpg

....STOKED !

ben

OP asked if the 10" old skool runners were a bit “tracky” hence the cut down to 6-7". I really like those glass ones (with Bonzer word on the fin). I was going to make 10x3" but on a 6’2" board I am thinking of cutting down to nearer 6x2.5. Anyone got experience of the longer runners, and maybe the shorter ones too? Does the board loosen up? If I had to choose (based on the rider) then speed and long carving turns is more the soup of the day, not doing spins and ultra tight turns. So if i went too far in either direction I would rather go too far in the tracky direction than the loose direction! But would rather not go too far in either, so I am wondering if those with experience of riding these bonzers would take a stab at a happy medium for me to try making some glass runners (first time making fins too!)? 7x3 sound about right, or shall i just say balls to it and go for 10x3 like the good old days? :smiley:

7 x 3       AKA, seven by three.

Thank you Bill. 7x3 it is, or maybe seven by three. :slight_smile: