Bottom color work

Hi, 

I would like to know your opinion on a board that I will do, I have a dilemma on how to do the work with the pigments, and the lamination process.

The board I’m going to make is a 7’2 "Egg, I’m planning to use a 6oz layer on the bottom and a 6oz + 4oz deck.

On this board I will use pigments, what I intend to do is an opaque blue navy on the deck, with a cut lap wrapping the rails to the bottom, and in the middle of the bottom a mixture of pigments. I found a very good job, from the shaper Thomas Bexon (I show in the attached image what I would like to do). 

In a post I did here on swaylocks awhile, I figured out how to do the inlay with the mixture of pigments on the deck, now I find myself confused to do the opposite, in the bottom.

The process I was thinking about is:

1- Laminate the bottom first 6oz (with pigment blend);

2- Cut Lap wrapping to the deck;

3- Laminate the deck whit opaque 6oz color (Navy Blue);

4- Cut lap wrapping rails to the bottom;

5- … Here I am in doubt, I give a layer of clear resin on the deck 4oz?

Or is there another process to do this work?

Thanks a lot

*I posted this post twice, but one ran out of topic

Nice bottom color there.

Do your colored bottom laminate as planned lapping it over onto your taped off deck. 

Do your 4 oz. & 6 oz deck layer at the same time. Tape off your lap line along the bottom where you desire the 6 oz cloth to trim to.  Roll out your 4 oz. cloth first and cut it along the rail past the apex curvature of the rail even along the bottom of the board, then roll out your 6 oz cloth and cut it so it has enough to lap over the tape you have placed for trimming the 6 oz.

If your deck pigment is sufficiently opaque, it will come out as you have intended.

Have fun!

Hi Deadshaper, thanks for the tip!

if I realized what you said, I cut the first 4oz layer of the deck a little longer than the rail apex, but not as long as the 6oz layer that goes to the cutlap tape, right?

yes that is correct.  Cut the 4oz just a bit past the aprex of the rail.  The 6oz should be hanging way over the rail so that it can be lapped onto the bottom of the board and onto the tape that you laid on the bottom of the board for your cut lap.  Laminate your fiberglass to the board.  Wait a while until the fiberglas has gelled to the point where it feels like tough leather then take a new razor and trim along the tape line for your bottom cut lap.  Before catalyzing your resin, take a piece of scrap foam and put a scrap of fiberglass on it.  smear some of your pigmented resin on the fiberglass to check for opacity.  To cover up a resin swirl to the bottom cut lap you will need your deck lamination to be pretttyy opaque.  

Thanks @Surfer for the advices, now just need to do :)

Good Luck!