Bottom shapes on the 5'5" Lis fish

"Wanna get into Steve Lis’ the rails ? Herb "

Bring it on !

Tucked all the way through ? How thick ?

Quote:

"Wanna get into Steve Lis’ the rails ? Herb "

Bring it on !

Tucked all the way through ? How thick ?

Yes,on the old schools a nice soft,full boxed rail , just about the thickness of the board or a low, downed rail with a soft tucked edge. both rail types go sharp/hard edge in the last foot or so…his newer stuff has come more to time.Herb

PlusOneShaper,

Any chance you could send meths rocker numbers? Im trying to get ultimate speed and trim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Dane

Hey Dane I notice you posted this question on an 11 year old thread, to plus one shaper (George Gall) who hasn’t logged in to swaylocks in almost a year. He might show up with an answer, but if you start a new thread and post your question to the site, there are lots of qualified board builders who could help you out. Just a suggestion.

More please

why are channel bottoms rarely seen on a fish ?

Interesting…
Really been having fish schooling in my head lately.
Been using USB 6-5 A W/ -1/2" N. for 5-8.
That’s lots of foam to fool around with
paddles and glides over the flats.
Totally flat with tucked edge (GG).
Seen some impressive FISH stuff lately.
Just thinkin’ this might be a stoke factor for this oldphart.
But channels???

I have a 66-page pdf of a 1977 design book that actually has a breakdown on the bottom, rail banks at 12" increments and the template, foil and keel placement for a Lis 5-5 fish.

Flat bottom with a very subtle 3" wide chine. The chine is 3/16" at both ends and 1 touch more than 1/4" in the middle.

I’ve used the flat bottom + subtle chine on several different types of boards in the wider widths and it’s always worked out. I think that for the wide boards that don’t need any additional lift in the bottom contour the flat+chine provides a very predictable feel of control, whereas adding concaves to wide boards only adds drama to their handling characteristics.

YMMV

Hey gdaddy I’m interested in the chine and flat bottom on a wide board in making. Does the chine carry the same width the whole length or taper in from the nose? Do you carry it right out through the harder rail at the tail? Cheers

I don’t recall when/where I scored that pdf but I do know it was given to me, so I’m perfectly willing to share it with others from Sways. So long as those others actually are part of our community. If you PM me an email address I can just send it to you and you can see for yourself.

Are you talking about the J.F. Kinstle book, “Surfboard Design and Construction?”
http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/documents/38-SurfboardDesignandConstruction-ByJimKnistle1977.pdf

I recently shaped the Steve Lis fish from the 1977 Surfboard Design book (Or at least as close as I could get at my skill level). I kept the bottom almost completely flat. It rides great. The board actually turns pretty well even though it was originally shaped as a kneeboard.

1 Like

Your board came out nice swanny. I think fish are a pretty simple design. One piece of advice i got from sways(maby Herb S.) was 'don’t over shape it. My lis is 16 or 17 years old and has a single concave running through the fins to around24 inches from nose. It’s 6 foot long. Hard edge a couple of inches in front of the fins, a bit of belly as it transitions towards the nose. Mike

Here is an interesting piece…
http://stabmag.com/style/is-the-fish-surfings-most-misunderstood-design/

The fish boards Greg Griffin made for my brother and I are not like any fish I’ve ridden before. These boards will not do spin turns. They have a pulled in tail and 5 fins in an alignment I’ve only seen from Greg. Flat bottoms and tucked under rails with a hard edge running almost all the way through.
I use a lot of design elements like low rocker, flat bottom and tucked under rails with a hard edge in most of the boards I’ve made recently, and I’m very happy with the way they work. I’ve found that combination and a wide tailed short board outline make a great 3 fin board.

My first fish. Thank you to gdaddy and everyone for the help! Aloha from Honolulu.

Dane

Gonna bump this up
I would really enjoy more feed back.
Better known asa no BS ride report
Coupl’a things,
I own a balsaflight Lis style board.
With too much vee, as I see it.

And have made a 1/2 dozen GG style dead flat, tucked edge and just enough rocker.
Of which IMHO is killer.

Thinking about the Fish outline w/ a GG touch…

'ow bought it…

Hi Matt. This is my no BS report. I’ve made 30 or 40 lis type fishes. Almost all for me. I’m an old soul 70’s surfer and like to pump and glide, carve big cut backs, and get toobed. I love the frictionless sensation of speed. Addicted to it. I found I can get that from a 5-8 to a 6-6 keeled fish. I think they are easy to surf (except I’ve been feeling older lately). I have not found single foiled fins out perform double foiled. They get loose with speed. They surf well on the backside. I like the Pavel quads, but think you sacrifice a bit of looseness for down the line speed or drive. My favorites have all been flat bottomed or a bit of vee. I’ve done a couple of single concave and didn’t notice a huge difference in ride compared to flat. Could just be a different board. That’s my no BS observations. Mike

Around 2005 my brother bought a Firewire fish. Not sure how big it was, but we both didn’t like it much. We were spoiled by Griffin’s 5 fin fish which paddled better and rode way better. My brother has 6’4" Mandala quad fish that is currently at my house, and it’s a pretty good board. I haven’t used it for about a decade. When I last used it, it seemed a bit too big, but I’ve since gained and lost weight, so I should give it a go again. I made a twin keel fish about a year ago. It was supposed to be a 5’5" based on the original Lis outline, but I while I was shaping it (from a slab of XPS with no stringer) I snapped the nose off so I ended up making it 5’3" with a slightly blunt nose, ad flat bottom. I’ve only used it once because I had a hard time catching waves. I was riding boards between 6’6" and 8’, so a 5’3" was really short. On the waves I did get it was insanely fast and turned on a dime. I don’t like the way a fish will do a spin turn when you make a cutback or top turn, so I wasn’t very happy with it. I’ve been riding my short boards again, so I should give it another go. I think the shorter boards are best surfed with a lower center of gravity, so keeping your legs bent and staying over the board more should help keep the board from doing the spinning turn that I tend to get with an upright stance. The best way can describe what it feels like is riding a skateboard. Riding a fish is very similar to riding a skateboard. If you push with both feet the board will make a driving turn. If you put too much weight on the back foot, the board will whip around, like turning a skateboard with just the inside back wheel touching the ground.
Back around 1977, I made a small fish and it was my favorite board. I was only 135-140 lbs and rode my skateboard almost everyday, so that little fish was perfect.

Thanks!
Pure Rooster.
And food for thought Sharkcountry…
Big Mahalo!!!