broken future fin

A buddy of mine recently broke a side fin off his board. There is no fin box damage, just a broken fin. Would it be worth trying to somehow glue it back together assuming that it will fit back together tightly as it was before? If so, what do you recommend using as the glue? Epoxy? Would the fin just snap again during his next bottom turn anyway? It is a side future fin. It looks plastic but it’s obvious some sort of composite, looks to have chopped glass in there or something similar.

Thanks

well unless your budget doesnot allow you to get a new one you can try anyone of your own ideas or call Ames and see if he has a thoughts,but being that a fin is so vital to a boards performance why waste your energy better yet, get a fin panel make a template and foil your own a much better exercise in building than repair.

privateer, i agree with you, however it is not 4 me, it is a friend. Also, being forced to by a brand new set of fins when only one is broken is definitely worth a repair attempt. Just trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

thanks in advance.

I found a red & black future fin on the beach the other day, which side are you in need of? Could mail it to you if it would help.

i lost one futures longboard sidebite awhile back… went to my local shop, and they sold me a replacement for $10.

Get in touch with Future Fins. They’ll provide an acceptable alternative. But, if you have a broken glass filled nylon fin, you will not be able to fix it. And, even if you have a laminated fin, the diagram you drew of the break shows major reconstruction to get skin thickness and fit tolerance back. If you just glue it back together it will last through one turn, if that.

Quote:
Get in touch with Future Fins. They'll provide an acceptable alternative. But, if you have a broken glass filled nylon fin, you will not be able to fix it. And, even if you have a laminated fin, the diagram you drew of the break shows major reconstruction to get skin thickness and fit tolerance back. If you just glue it back together it will last through one turn, if that.

Tom’s right on. Futures is usually pretty good about replacing their composite fins, but lousy about replacing glass fins. I’ve got an extra set of composites in Santa Barbara. If you’re near, I can just give them to you - PM me. Remember, they are the bottom of the line ones (the extra pair I have is the CI template).

-SSS (aka, ShShSh)

Don’t bother trying to fix it. It’s not worth it. And new ones aren’t that expensive. Or… make some.

It’s always a good idea to have extra fins around. Tell your buddy to go out and buy two new sets. I’ve got tons of fins - many duplicates. If you surf around rocks fins get broken off once in awhile. Last year I broke two side fins (the same side) in one week getting out of the water… probably on the same rock.

Shops will sometimes sell single fins too.