Bumpy rails post freelap

Avid surfer here novice board maker apparently. Making a noserider 9’ 10" and everything was going smooth. Thought I’d do a casual 6 oz freelap and ended with a bit of excess resin bump on the deck (underside) because i didnt pull the excess resin far enough over the deck.

Now onto the real problem my foam is painted so sanding is out. I carefully knocked down as much as I could to avoid the inevitable air bubbles.

Phase 2:  Did 1 layer of 6 oz cutlap on the deck (yes i was originally going to drop 2 layers and a knee patch but the bumps had me worried about air bubbles so opted to see if the airbubbles would be as bad as I thought). Came out MUCH smoother with no air bubbles but the small aesthetic bumps remain semi problematic in my eyes, not performance related but because it’s SO close to being perfect.

Now that I’ve got the airbubbles eliminated, what would be the best wat to approach the uneven lam resin on the deck along the rails  (which is only in a few spots)? Do I drop a bit of sanding resin in the problem areas and spot sand it or lay the final lam and deck patch in hopes of it filling the nooks and crannies a bit more and revisit it then?

Would it be more difficult to fix now spot sanding or later after I’ve layed 2 layers of 6 oz and a knee patch?

Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance

Here’s the shape I’m working on pre glass 

I think the general consensus is that it’s better to fix the problem in the stage where it occurs than to attempt to fix it in a later step.  So I’d vote for doing a cheater coat, taping off the problem spots so you can take them down without touching anything else and then removing the tape and featuring in the remaining high spots.  But I’m sure there are other suggestions that will follow.  

As for deck patches and knee patches with heavy glass jobs, I’ve been doing the patches first - by themselves and with a cutlap, then doing the primary lam over that.   Then again, I’m just a backyard hack with minimal glassing skills.  

Much appreciated. I would have done the knee patch and 2 layers of 6 oz all in one shot but the inconsistent drip made me think twice before I went full kamikaze suicide mission. The juice wasnt worth the squeeze in my eyes. Defintely going to follow my gut and get it cleaned up prior to the next round of glassing

Don’t rush off just yet.   Someone could very well come along with the better solution.  Let this thread sit for a day or so and see what it looks like then after some of the pros get a chance to weigh in.  

Baste the lap withlam resin and proceed to the rest of your lamination.  A heavy baste fills in.

Thanks! I forgot to mention I did baste the raill after discovering the bumps. It helped but didn’t get them out completely. It ended up being pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Decided to move on and get the final 6oz lam on and so far looks pretty darn good! I think after the sand and and a hot coat it’ll be remedied 

Sounds like you’re already in the clear?  If board wasn’t sprayed with color, it would be a cake walk.  As it is, I think you’re on the right track.  You’ve basted and now have a layer of glass, correct?  I wouldn’t be too afraid of carefully knocking down any remaining high spots with a clean surform or coarse sandpaper and perhaps dabbing some styrene on any exposed cloth areas before laying a layer of fiberglass tape over any damaged area.  Once hot coated, you’ll have a bit more sanding to do but your rails should be pretty strong and it should look fine.  If you didn’t actually go through the cloth on the clean up, don’t even bother with the additional layer of glass.

"I think the general consensus is that it’s better to fix the problem in the stage where it occurs than to attempt to fix it in a later step. "

golden advice, Gdaddy

all the best