Byron Bay

Hi I’m heading out to the land of Oz on Friday, and Iim heading upto Byron bay - Wategoes. I was wondering if anyone had surfed there before,because I’m just getting my boards together for the trip. Thanks Guys and Girls Peaman

Hey Peaman, Byron Bay is the most easterly point on the Australian coastline and is very well protected from southerly winds. There are waves in the area on any swell direction and wind, but for byron itself you want an easterly swell and a s/se wind. Often even on a big southeasterly swell Byron is sooo protected that much of the swell just passes by but east swell gets into the bay a bit more.Wategoes is a very soft full wave with no hollow section but 300m north you have The Pass, this wave is longboard heaven.Long walls line up by the outside rock and can run for half a kilometre or more.Bring your big board for the long paddle back.Just further south you have the points of Broken Head,Lennox,Boulders and Flatrock all of these pick up more swell than Byron and offer a bit more power.Hit me on the email when you get here and If you’re heading north to the Gold Coast we’ll go for a surf…

yeah the pass rocks caught it just right, when i was there in 1998 for 2 weeks! make sure you pop in to a few of the surf factories for a look around they are a lot there mcCoy, t&c.

Hey Peaman, Byron Bay is the most easterly point on the Australian > coastline and is very well protected from southerly winds. There are waves > in the area on any swell direction and wind, but for byron itself you want > an easterly swell and a s/se wind. Often even on a big southeasterly swell > Byron is sooo protected that much of the swell just passes by but east > swell gets into the bay a bit more.Wategoes is a very soft full wave with > no hollow section but 300m north you have The Pass, this wave is longboard > heaven.Long walls line up by the outside rock and can run for half a > kilometre or more.Bring your big board for the long paddle back.Just > further south you have the points of Broken Head,Lennox,Boulders and > Flatrock all of these pick up more swell than Byron and offer a bit more > power.Hit me on the email when you get here and If you’re heading north to > the Gold Coast we’ll go for a surf… Mate When you get to Byron give me a call at the factory and i will show you around and have ago at blowning a blanks maybe take some home with you 07/55221600 or my E-mail Later Peter Hosking http://www.southcoastfoam.com.au

peaman you will need to take a longboard, or at least a thick beasty egg or something similar. the pass and wategos are long sandy pointbreaks. i would personally only ever take a 9 footer on my trips to the byron area. however to the south of byron are some other points where a longboard would be unnecesary, like lennox ect. if you are travelling light take one shortboard and a 7’0’ egg .

peaman you will need to take a longboard, or at least a thick beasty egg > or something similar. the pass and wategos are long sandy pointbreaks. i > would personally only ever take a 9 footer on my trips to the byron area. > however to the south of byron are some other points where a longboard > would be unnecesary, like lennox ect. if you are travelling light take one > shortboard and a 7’0’ egg . Thanks guys, for all your help. I’m gonna throw in my 9’6 and my 7’ and have some fun (especially at the airport-knocking all the little uns over). Rabbit, I’ll give you a shout when I get out there. I reckon it’ll be next week, as we’re driving up from Sydney on Sunday, I cannot wait its going to be great. Paul, hope the Ireland thing is going well for you, and that your getting plenty of waves in. Take it easy guys Peaman