Calculating volume

Been shaping a while now and people always ask me the volume and not confident I’m giving the right answer. Been doing length x width x depth x board type factor / 1000. Board type factor is where I’m not sure if I’m correct. Found could be anywhere between .54 and .6

I always use this website

Cheers and good waves.

Just tell them whatever they want to hear. Volume is for machine shaped boards and the volumes written on the bottom of machine shaped boards are still just a guess depending on what the guy did who finished shaping the board after it came off of the machine.

I agree. People get way too hung up on it. So much more goes into a good board than people realize.

I’ve started calculating volume by weighing and measuring foam.

For your starting block of foam, measure L X W X H in meters and divide by the weight of the block in kilograms. EPS is around 17 kg/m3 so your answer should be in that range.

Weigh your shaped blank in kilograms and divide by your measured kg/m3 from above (e.g. 17).

A blank that weighs .850 kg, divided by 17 kg/m3 would calculate to .050. Multiply by 1,000 and you get 50, which will be the volume in liters.

If your board has a stringer, weigh your stringer separately and subtract that from the overall board weight. The stringer will add a bit of volume but because it will weigh more than foam your most accurate calculation will come from using just the foam weight. The blank also has to be weighed before adding anything other than foam (e.g. fin boxes).

Oops, I just reread after posting. The second paragraph is backwards. Weigh the block of foam in kg and divide that weight by the cubic meters of the block (L X W X H) to get kg/m3.

This is interesting the answers you read
Take into account the experience and weight of the owner and remember that displacement of a human body is not by volume.
The same hold true for materials used, glass weights, resins, number of fins type of boxes , or glass- in fins.
I’ve been riding boards from the beginning were only floating me chest high in the water when sitting.
The ocean has a basic salinity, that different water temperatures vary now the popularity of fresh water pools there is a totally different set of calculations.
Now if you want to figure in velocity and volume of the wave ridden the depth and type of break then those calculations in my opinion matter the most.