California Foam Surfboard Brand

I found on Craigslist a person selling what appears to be a 70s singlefin board with the label ‘California Foam Surfboards’. Googling came up with nothing and searching here didn’t as well. Anybody have any information about this brand? The board appears to be in okay condition. 

I worked for them 1975-1978.  Owner was Lloyd Ghist, great guy, father in law of Rich Reed.  Based in Tarzana, closed in the early 80’s.  Lots of fishes and winger-stingers Whom I was there.

Thanks for the info. What am I looking at in the photo? Any more info on that?

I’m guessing offcuts from a “Sting” type shape re-assembled for a groovy photo op. 

Is that you Gene?

I used to buy materials and get blanks there pre-1975 which is when I enlisted in the Air Force.  They molded some of their own blanks with somewhat mixed results.  They also carried Clark Foam. 

A guy named Dennis was their shaper at the time.  He was in to single concaves right under where the rider would stand.  That concept always made sense to me.

I too thought owner Lloyd was a pretty cool guy.  He would give me pointers on shaping and glassing or give me shit if he found some pin air in one of my glass jobs.  I didn’t have a router and often took my hotcoated boards in there for fin box routing.  Dennis always made that look easy.

I remember a photo print on the wall of Dennis coming off the top on a nice wave at Honolua Bay or someplace exotic like that.  Lloyd often spoke of Point Dume.

Pre-1975… that suddenly seems like a looooong time ago. Then again, what’s 45 years?

Dennis Macdonald was the shaper.  He moved up to Oxnard with a girl name George about the time I started there.  

That would be correct. 18 year old minds at work.