Calling all lifeguards

but what do you mean about making a soft version ???

eps foam , beaded polyethylene ? what do you have in mind ???

I think it’s called polyethelne. Like boogie board foam or the BZ shown above.

aquafiend :

for newport and i think huntington is about the same, laguna has its own wierd set-up, but any area where suring and swimming is mixed is probably about the same.

blackabll goes up when there is more then 100 people on the beach or more then 25 swimmers in the water (excludes surfers and boogieboarders in the surf zone)

no fins, no hard parts, must be soft, shorter then 48" i think.

its really hard to tell if you have fins on your boogie though, and lots of people have old school ones that came like that. ive seen a guy standing on his boogie and tear apart 56th, all those supposed blakball beaters dont work, niether do ulis.

don’t harass the guards about blackball either. id say 75 percent of them surf and know the feeling. the day goes by alot faster when you get to watch good surfing, plus theres the extra set of eyes and an ocean knoledgeable person on a floatation device allready outside. it really is alot nicer for them to have surfers out there, but city ordinance, and they have to do it cause theres been too amny kooks hurting people cause they try to scare them out of the water by turnig lose to them, or surf leashless in a crowd of kids, or get in fights cause some innocent bather got in the way of some “locals” two foot wave.

you’re right about the computer and tim tam supply…

I’m just writing to arnotts now, asking when they’ll make chocolate chip [for president] tim tams…

surfing between the flags ?

Wasn’t that what FOAMIES were invented for ??

…SURELY foamies are for running swimmers over…

" BLACKball " ??

…sounds PAINFUL !!

…I’m guessing… ‘blackball’ must be what the "Clubbies’ do to your lower regions if you ignore their demands to leave the area , yes ?

…And I guess the expression has a better sound to it than " bashing ‘disobedient’ surfers testicles with a baseball bat , because they did not obey our ‘authority’ … does it ? [They don’t call them 'CLUBbies ’ here for nothing !! If the bats don’t get you, the paddles and oars will…or the 'rubber duckies ! [that’s inflatable ‘rescue’ boats , for the uninitiated]

[anyone remember the ‘sheriff’ in " Meet The Fockers " ??

…Now , HE would make a GREAT ‘lifeguard’ [is he your boss, by the way, Dave ??] ]

Aquafiend… doc lausch’s surf prescriptions ‘u.s.o’ is exactly what our ‘nippers’ [apprentice, ie very young ‘surf lifesavers’ ] here in australia race on the weekends, and develop their water skills on…the design is basically unchanged from when I was an 8 year old [36 years ago now, believe it or not]

CHOCOLATE Tim Tams are Australia’s main claim to fame…they’ve been around nearly as long as the good ol’ “foamie” I mentioned.

Let me know how you go shaping a glassless ‘U.S.O.’., aqua. All joking aside, I’d be interested to hear and see the result !

I’ve always thought that a fine-tuned foamie would be unreal ! There’s a guy here [about 50y.o.] who RIPS on his kids’ ones. The boards must only be about 4’ long ??!!

[did you see the shot of derek hynd with a stack of them on his head ? I posted a shot on ‘the kids are alright’ thread, if you’d like to check it out.]

On another serious note…no, Bert, sorry…

I haven’t finished with it yet ! [did you see the film festival at the ‘Regal’ the other night, by the way ? Among less memorable footage, there was a 'tow-in ’ segment which showed Taj Burrow, surfing with an inflatable dolphin [I think it was ] under his arm, then jumping onto that ?! sweeeet !]

…see , I’m in good company !! [even if he’s not a true pommie criminal’s descendant, like the rest of us whitey blow-ins !]

ben

Hey Chipfish, Check out my new pic (next to my name). I spent the whole freakin’ day trying to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the idea and motivation!

You would be more than legal. Most beaches, as long as you are under a certain limit, you’re fine. I used to ride a paipo I had when I was little wherever I went. Nowadays - I could probably build a small board to ride on blackball days, but I would rather just surf where I am allowed without worrying about blackballs. Much more enjoyable for me to use a board I want, and not be “forced” to ride a certain board than surf in a blackballed area.

Aloha

Bryan

Quote:

Hey Chipfish, Check out my new pic (next to my name). I spent the whole freakin’ day trying to figure out how to do that. Thanks for the idea and motivation!

thanks Aqua, for the good head job !!

go boy go !

ben

Damn! didn’t the pic work?Ignore!

for huntington, the board has to be under 5 feet. soft rubber fins are usually ok. but if it gets crowded, chances are theyll tell you to leave anyway. if it is crowded enough to be blackballed, no point in goin out anyway.

Chocolate Tim Tam…

OK So what’s a Tim Tam…do they have other flavors? Vanilla, Orange, Lime???

Best people to drink with outside of each other’s country = Aussies

Drew

if it is crowded enough to be blackballed, no point in goin out anyway.

In Newport, where I live, it seems black ball goes up religiously whether there’s a crowd or not. Lotsa good waves with plenty of room to roam.

Quote:

Chocolate Tim Tam…

OK So what’s a Tim Tam…do they have other flavors? Vanilla, Orange, Lime???

…just think of it as a backward mat mit, Werd !! We don’t need other flavours…chocolate gets the job done !! [with a hefty after serve of good ol’ raspberry cordial, of course !] zacs…anyone remember them ??? THEY used to come in orange, mint and other fillings back in the 70’s , but tim tams survived !! aussies just can’t get enough chocolate, it would seem !! ben

http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_food/biscuits/tim_tams

Hmm this is weird.

I just got off the phone with Shawn, a lifeguard from Newport beach and I asked him what were the rules for surfcraft in the water when a blackball is up. He said that the act of standing up on anything is technically surfing. He cited some laws about that. so he said standing up on a bodyboard was not permitted. then I said “what?, you mean to say i can use a surfboard as a bodyboard? as long as I don’t stand up?” he then said “uhh, well, it also has to be less than 5 feet, soft top, no kayaks, blah blah blah” then I asked about skegs. he said skegs on bodyboards are fine. So basically he says no standing up.

But from my personal experience, I’ve stood up on my bodyboard and no one has ever called me out of the water. so, I dunno. I was thinking of getting this board [go to: http://www.intsoftboards.com/ click on “the boards” and then click “4’11 blackball beater”] but i might just stick to my bodyboard. This is in Newport Beach. YMMV.

Rio

PS here’s the newport beach lifeguard number just in case you want to talk to this shawn or some other lifeguard:

(949) 644-3047

Sweet - comedy & surf info all in one… And that guy said swaylox sucks… Blackball was at a time of day regardless… Pumping over-head So. hemi, no crowd of swimming, booging, etc. still “Get out of the water w/your surfboards” Sucked then - mid 80’s, and sounds like it still does. no wonder trestles was so crowded. The HB pier under the lights now that’s good crowd control. peace Taylor. ps thanks for the fix.

Ya, I lifeguard with gatordave in the summer, the city of newport is kinda a bitch when it comes to this. Nothing will work at the wedge because its no flotation devices between may and october from 10-6 and they inforce that one strictly. Other than that, they covered all thier bases by adding in the length factor as well as another clause which says that during black ball you can’t “surf” and they define surfing as standing up. So ive worked with dicks who kick kids out who stand up on boogie boards. Dont waste your money on someing thats almost not too fun only to get kicked out.

{Dont waste your money on someing thats almost not too fun only to get kicked out.}

Yeah you’re probably right. Blackball SUCKS!