Can a Tinted Hotcoat Make a Lam Coat Darker?

Just need to darken my lam tint a little more. What do you think?

Splotch is a major negative for tinted hots.

You sand a hotcoat usually, and sanding is not an even or exact science.

If it’s your hot and final, it’s still uneven because brush strokes still leave thick and thin streaks, which are shown by your tints.

if you want to darken it up some, you could tint a cheater coat and spread that on with a squeegee to fill the weave…then, when it gels, brush on a clear hotcoat. that will give you a little bit more leeway with sanding, and assuming you don’t get all the way down to the weave, should not result in much splotchiness.

Quote:

Splotch is a major negative for tinted hots.

You sand a hotcoat usually, and sanding is not an even or exact science.

If it’s your hot and final, it’s still uneven because brush strokes still leave thick and thin streaks, which are shown by your tints.

Well said, Lee -

A suggestion - add another lam coat, with 4 0z or so. The thing is, the only way you are gonna get a uniform depth of resin is with a lamination, 'cos the cloth defines how deep the resin is and thus how deep the color. And a little extra strength isn’t a bad thing…

hope that’s of use

doc…

If you just want it darker, you can also use a transparent acrylic paint over the hotcoat and gloss over that. If you trying to cover up blotchy areas of the original tint, then take Doc’s advice and lam it again with the 4 oz. Tints are difficult to get right even for good glassers especially in the dark colors. I normally go with the transparent paint on the blank if I want the tint look, it’s a lot easier for me.