Can someone tell me what these numbers are for?

Hi all, can somone please tell me what the @ 11 x 4 1/4 means in this photo? thank you

14.1/4" for a tail measurement looks more likely to me.   Have you tried measuring the board?    

it is your secret russian spy access code

you will be allowed to surf army base in eastern coast with impunity.

…ambrose…

to me it looks like…

5’5" ?0706 ’ 866 :slight_smile: Billy

handshaped w/love 16 3/4 x 19 3/4 x 15 1/4 @ 11 x 4 1/4 > 2 1/2 

Cousin Mufert

Do you have a measuring device?  What kind of fins are on it?  The first three numbers are widths of nose, wide point, and tail - pretty standard but I don’t know in what order the nose and tail are written.  I’m curious if the rest of it is related to fin dimensions or layout. With a measuring device and the board I could probably figure it out but without that, it’s just a guess. 2 1/2" could be thickness or maybe toe-in of fins measured off the nose… the 11" X 4 1/4" sounds more like a fin layout to me unless he put bonzer runners on it.  Those could be runner dimensions.  Pic of bottom and fins?

I’m thinking nose rocker then tail rocker.

Here is a photo of the fin set up. I have run a ruler over the board and couldnt find anything to indicate where the numbers came from which is why i am asking.

The tail is 10 3/4 wide if it is a little had to see in the photo. The nose and tail rocker added together equal 4 1/2 but as far as i know thats not normally written on boards anyway.

haha oops just posted in on the internet !

John - yes the 2 1/2 is thickness

Ah, now that is helpful.  The “tail width” is measured 12” up from the end.  Same for the nose - measured 12” back from the tip.  The place where you have the ruler is the “tail block”, or in this case the tail tips, which are 10 3/4” apart.  It looks to me like the swallow crack is ~4 1/2” deep.

I wonder if Cousin Mufert ever worked as a doctor.  He could write some wicked scripts with that handwriting.

the swallow crack is 4 " deep as seen in pic, the “tail width” and “nose width” measurements are very accurate as written on the board, this is why i am confused where 11 and 4 1/4 come from, maybe im just splitting hairs haha

Hi Miguelito -

It is still possible that the measurements in question… the 11" X 4 1/4" could be fin related.  It isn’t possible to determine what type of fins he had in mind or how far the trailing edges extended beyond the rear plugs in each fin position.  With a canard-style twinzer deal, the trailing edges might fit those distances from the tail(?)

Not exactly accurate but maybe the tip to tip distance of the swallow tail was meant to be 11" and the depth 4 1/4"?  Glass build up inside the split tails could account for the 1/4" discrepancy.  Not so much on the tip to tip discrepancy.

I’ve seen written dimensions that were not quite the same as the measurements I’ve taken on the same board.  When in doubt, use calipers and a yard stick or tape measure and check for yourself. 

“Not exactly accurate but maybe the tip to tip distance of the swallow tail was meant to be 11” and the depth 4 1/4"?  Glass build up inside the split tails could account for the 1/4" discrepancy.  Not so much on the tip to tip discrepancy."

yes i agree with this,

obviously there is no easy answer 

If not rocker then maybe the back tip of the fin. I use front tip more than back, but a lot of shapers use back. I don’t make boards that short, but between 11" and 12" would be right for front fins for boards I make.

Trailing edge of fins @ base.

the trailing edge of forward fins are exactly 11",the rear ones are at 6" though so the 41/4" still isnt in context with it as far as i can tell?

Maybe the rear fin was intended to be more of a keel with longer base with more of the fin trailing behind the plug?

i got bought the board from someone at pavones , would a keel at the rear suit pointbreak surf ?

May be if he took the measurement from the but crack rather than the tail tip.  A few shapers measure from the crack.   Officially the measurement should be taken from where the center of the tail would be, before it was cut .out

Maybe he put those on there to throw others off his track… 

meaningless - yet bound by others to be given a meaning! 

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop??? The world may never know…