Can You Identify This Board Logo? Who shaped it?

I just bought a used heavy 9’6" single fin today, probably 8 to 12 years old. However, I cant identify the logo on this board. Anyone recognize it??? Logo and signature attached. Thanks!

I guess everybody else is as stumped as I am.  Don’t know that one.

Looks like “Ed Uganay” to me(?)  I don’t recognize the name or label - sorry.

…he was in the need of sharper hand planer. and/or more time on the finishes to do it right.

I guess it is a Barland. Michel Barland was the first french boards builder and inventor of the first CNC shaping machine. He died in 1992 but one of his sons, Philippe, still manages the surfboard building part of the mechanics factory. The “B” was a logo used in the '80s if I remember well. Over the years, many top shapers including Diff, Bob Cooper, Tom Parrish, Bruce Jones, Gary Linden and others worked for some time in the Barland factory in Bayonne. The name “Echegaray” is typically basque and is probably the name of the guy that the board was built for. If ever you find a hand drawn dolphin along the stringer somewhere, it means that Michel Barland himself shaped it.

Yep, I saw the same ‘‘curddled’’ foam, next to the stringer.      You’ve got a good eye, Reverb.

I won’t list the names, because of the respect I have for them, but I have seen foam tear along the stringer on boards shaped by some of the World’s Best in some of the most Prestigious shops up and down the West Coast.  There is a point in finishing a shape where it’s not worth altering the shape to get rid of Minor cosmetic flaws.

…no doubt that no point to distort a finished shape; however, you WOULD NOT finish at that stage with those marks and marks in the swallow tails etc.

There is a protocol to shape right a board and if you follow it you would never ever have those gauges and if you have them no matter who are the name behind it, is not well finished, no put enough time in your shape and do not have the value intended no matter the functionality too.

-Also is all hype and branding; like Fender guitars and Harley davidsons…in fact they are not as good as they try to sell

There are great shapers that do great, functionality and hand labor; then there are boarbuilders (like many Japanese) doing Waimea guns (and riding them in the invitational contest) and others building long boards that are really good craftsmen. Good on both departments.

There are plenty of fine glassers now that covers plenty of so so shapers mistakes

There are plenty of bad designers and bad surfers shaping obsolete designs then great crew covering their efforts.

Thanks for your theory.  I checked all over the internet, but there’s no logo with my type of stylized “B”.  I don’t believe it’s a Barland board. I’m still stumped, but love riding this heavy single fin log! 

My “theory” is a little bit more than a theory, it’s a fact.

Maybe I can try and convince you with this photo of Philippe Barland (one of Michel Barland’s sons, actually the one running the surfboard factory part of the family business which is basically a precision mechanics shop), holding a Barland surfboard displaying the one logo you asked details about?

Good facts Balsa.

Thanks again for your motivation and research. The reason I questioned it was due to how my logo looks compared to the one in the photos you posted:

Hello Balsa; pretty good information however, that logo in the semi  gun is not the same than the OP uploaded…newer logotype?

Thanks

I contacted Barland through their Facebook account. I sent them a pic of my “B” logo and the info on stringer.  They confirmed it’s not a Barland surfboard, and didn’t know who’s it was. The mystery continues…

I apologize. I was pretty sure that I had already seen such “B’s” on Barland boards and the basque name “Echegarray” seemed too much for a simple coïncidence. Now, if Barland says it’s not one of their boards, I guess they know better than me. Sorry.