Cant angle on glass on fins

hello,
I´m currently building a single fin with side fins and i would like two know two things?

1- what would be the best way to hold the fins on the correct cant angle while resin cures?

2- considering the build is a 6"5’ x 20" x 3" what would be the best size and positioning for the single fin?

Cheers and good waves

Can use a fin angle finder to set/ check angle. Then while the fin is braced against the angle finder, put masking tape over the top of dummy fin and run tape over both edges of board. That will hold it laterally. Thats how I do it pre-glass for box install. I also use fcs II/fusion system. Might depend on what system you are using. FCS has a good video on this and shows their install.

I also put tape at base of fin to cover finbox hole while it sets. Its never as clean as they show in those videos.

For single finbox, just double check and make sure you got the depth in foam.

Size depends on how big of fin you want to run. In a 6-5, Id probably do a 8.5“ box, but thats just me.

Closer to the tail give you more pivot, further up give better drive.

I usually try to find a board i like and measure how far off tail the finbox starts. Good place to start.

Hello;

Thanks mr. cows_are_good.
thank for the help related to fin boxes.
but my question was about glass on fins can you help me to figure out how to hold the fins on the correct angle while the resin cures without boxes (regular glass on fins).

Cheers and good waves

Whoops, sorry. Never done glass on’s. Im sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in!

Side fins run 4 to 9 degrees, with 5-6 being about the norm. Take a 3/4" pine board (1x6 or 1x8), run it thru a table saw at 5 degree bevel. Place it on the board in side fin position. If you want more angle re-cut at 6 (or 4 for less). To pre-angle your side fins, clamp the block in a vise and using wood clamps, clamp the glass-on to the woodblock with the flat side of the fin above the wood block bevel. Using a palm sander, grind down the glass-on to duplicate the angle of the block. Glue the glass-ons to the surfboard, using a quick set glue or 2 part epoxy. Once set, you are ready to complete the glass-on process.

1 Like

Cheers and good waves!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-Polycast-Protractor-Angle-Finder-2791/202035328?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25H-025_001_HAND_TOOLS-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Hand_ToolsPMAX&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25H-025_001_HAND_TOOLS-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Hand_ToolsPMAX-71700000117978840--&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2KWfzNb3hQMVZBKtBh2TEwEZEAQYBCABEgJ5ovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like