cape cod

anybody out there from the cape?

ayah http://www.paulowniasupply.com/

I now live in Florida, but I spent many years surfing on Cape Cod in Massachusetts from 1970 to early 80’s. I still return in the summer when I can. It’s a great place to surf except for the cold water. (Water temps - Spring low to mid 40s. Summer high 58 degrees.)That’s why I live in FLA. The Cape breaks best from early spring and late fall. Summertime is fun, but not very consistent. The best surf is found from Nauset Beach in Orleans to Wellfleet. Coast Guard Beach in Eastam breaks very well but parking is limited. The best spots in Wellfleet are off Oceanview Drive. Whitecrest is one of the premier spots in New England. The waves breaks very fast and long. All the Cape Cod beaches are extremely tidal. Lower tides are generally best except when it’s huge. The waves are very fickle. It can go from 1 foot mush to 6ft in the afternoon and then flat by dark. But when it’s ON, its as good as Cape Hatteras or better. Most of the locals are pretty cool as long as you show respect, just like anywhere else. The locals have to deal with some incredibly stupid tourist through out the summer months, so be kind.

Just heard a weather report: Heavy snow falling in Cape Cod. Snowboard or surfboard?.. that is the question.

I don’t mind the snow all that much but it’s been flat for 2 weeks straight and the temp is hovering around -8 right now with the wind chill.

It might be a rush to snow-kiteboard to the surf, kiteboard in the waves, then snow it back home, all in the new wind-resistant, super-flexy, hyper-insulated Rusty-hard-core super-suit!!!

ahm…you can have mine, thanks… gale warnings, winter storm warnings and air temps below zero F, yep, I think I’ll give it a miss. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/MAZ022.php?warncounty=MAC001&city=Eastham

been a local here for awhile,my whole life,yay.parking at coast guard is fine aslong as you dawn patrol.not really up for coast guard though,every time i paddle out there i sit and wonder why.white crest has been breaking the best lately.almost right up to high tide if its big enough.and i got to agree with you about the stupid tourist bit,often my attitude is pretty shifty around here in the summe and fall.i try to understand.surf alot in rhode island to,which also can be pretty touristy/yupee in the summer just the cape seems to get the real winners.super kooks.guys that wear rashguards around town like its in fashion or something.seriously(for anyone who thought i was joking).anybody heard of hawaiin moon?dave @ cinn. rainbows in hampton told me to look him up.something about glassing.thx.

yah, hawaiian moon I know. Guy is a scumbag who likes playing hardass out on the OB. Funny thing though, he only plays his game on guys over 55 and kids under 15, him and his brown nosers. Really. His glassing sucks too. You can push your thumbs through any of his boards. He’s also famous for real asymmetric boards. Not intentionally asymmetric, mind you, they just turn out kinda FUBAR. Talk to whatsisname, the Miller kid who glasses for Sean Vech in Eastham. He does ok work and he’s a good guy. He’s been doing a lot of boards the last couple of years and he’s come along nicely. That help any? doc…

cool doc thx.thats funny.im not to fond of scumbags.well said.thinking about trying to get in touch with sean.my girlfriend is good friend of the family.my thing is getting glassing supplies from somewhere other than california.did you say you were from the cape.

right here in Eastham. Glassing stuff - resin you can’t easily get unless you get some from a boardmaker. I’d have to check to see what I have on hand, not much as I recall. Cloth lighter than 10 oz, well, the boat places won’t have it either, they only stock the heavy stuff and that’s overpriced. Look, why don’t you call Shawn Vecchione; he’s in the book in Eastham and see if you can get some stuff off him. Option B - have a look at http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Halfpipe/9483/ , give 'em a call. I haven’t done business with 'em, but they’re relatively close in NC. hope that’s of use doc…

west marine stocks 6 oz.my first shape came out pretty good.pretty thin in the nose and the tail though.was going to put a layer of 6oz on the bottom as apossed to one 4 oz, still need 4 for the deck,square one again.boards 5’9" 20 wide 14 nose 16 tail 2 in. thick around stringer w/some dome in the deck,was going for some short wide skatey board,just maybe came out too thin in the nose and tail.oh well very first shape you know.for smaller waves anyhow but its still got to be strong,especialy being thin at ends.any ideas?

Go with 6 oz all over, forget the 4 oz. You’re talking about a board that hasn’t got a lot of structural strength to begin with, ok? Like the man said, a little extra glass will make it hold up longer and better and you’ll never notice it. Remember, you’re gonna be using it here:

Check out surfsource in Fla. That’s who I use. Krokus http://surfsource.net

Yup. Been lifeguarding here the last eleven years. I think I came into surfing backwards. I owned two paddleboards, had done a 10 mile and slew of 2 - 6 mile paddles, had gone paddling every month of the year, and was doing ding repairs on lifeguard rescue boards (thanks to info gleaned from Doc’s pages, and more recently from info read here) years before I bought my first surfboard. It was pretty cool around here for a few weeks this past fall, but then…

Hey, Patrick, Tropical enough for ya? Bottomed out the thermometer this morning. Somewhere around 6-10 below. Probably lucky the dog didn’t freeze himself to a tree. stay warm, man. doc…

I’ve been surfing Cape Cod for while now. I mostly surf the basic spots of Coast Guard and Nauset. I’ve heard of that bad moon guy - heard he’s quite a kook in his own right. I grew up on the South Shore and knowsome great points up there (harldy breaks though). I didn’t grow up there on the Cape, my family just moved down there about 8 years ago. Anybody else shaping except for Vec? Someone opened a new shop in Eastham too. Any good? The photo is from Hurricane Kate this fall. I was the only one on this peak for the whole morning. http://ww.chrisgillis.com

I’ve been surfing Cape Cod for while now. I mostly surf the basic spots of Coast Guard and Nauset. I’ve heard of that bad moon guy - heard he’s quite a kook in his own right. I grew up on the South Shore and knowsome great points up there (harldy breaks though). I didn’t grow up there on the Cape, my family just moved down there about 8 years ago. Anybody else shaping except for Vec? Someone opened a new shop in Eastham too. Any good? The photo is from Hurricane Kate this fall. I was the only one on this peak for the whole morning. http://www.chrisgillis.com

That Hawaiian Moon guy wouldn’t be Treasure Mike of Tavarua boatman fame?

that’s the sphincter in question, yep