Cedar stringers

Hey guys, just a quick one.

Do I need to seal a cedar stringer before I lam the board?

I just read it on surfblanks.com.au

I’ve never used a cedar stringer so I got no idea?

Cheers!

How wide is it? 1/8th, 1/4th, 3/4ths ? It all depends.

I have never sealed cedar and have never had a problem. Cedar here in the U.S. Is primarily Western Cedar from the Northwest and Canada. Usually kiln dried and seasoned. I don’t know where Surfblanks gets theirs. There is a dark wood being used by some Blank Manufactuers these days that is sometimes referred to as Cedar; but my thinking is that it is most likely a Brazilian or Indonesian wood. If that is what they are using then I would not have a recommendation for you.

1/4 I believe matey!

There are many varieties of cedar, and all have different characteristics. The most common is western red cedar, which is used for exterior house trim a lot around here. There’s also white, yellow, port orford, Spanish, etc. The oil content of each type varies greatly, as does the grain and density.

…as a fail safe precaution. The only place I’d seal, on 1/4th inch cedar, would be the exposed end grain in the nose and tail area. Use SUPER GLUE. It really seals well.

hey mountain.

Ive had pinholes happen on an unsealed cedar blank from SB. Might only happen on one in ten boards but better to be safe than sorry.

pretty sure the cedar from surfblanks isn’t western red , that stuff is like butter, n surfblanks is a bit tougher ! i could be wrong but