Chambered stringer

hello all,

I have an idea for a new project involving a chambered stringer. Any one have any advice for me? The blank is a 6’0" that somebody cut the middle out of. My idea was to make a chambered stringer 4 inches thick. I was thinking 4 one inch offset chamber stringers laminated and then glued into the center of the board. 

Any advice or critisicm welcome

Reed

What a novel idea !     Be sure to post photo’s.     

May have some photos that help.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/to-any-one-who-interested

have a google …Roger Hinds and John Cherry do some really nice stuff.

Nice work WideAWAKE …I have always preferred to fill chambers with foam rather than leave a cavity…makes good sense when you think about it.

Thank you mr thrailkill,

I do realize that a chambered stringer is not a new idea. When I said I have an idea I meant about the board in general. My mistake. 

Reed

People have been chambering wood in surfboards since the 1920’s.        Perhaps even before that.      I’ve been doing it since 1964.     Most likely my effort was the first time in the foam era.       That was a 5.25 inch wide redwood stringer, in a foam board.     The original owner still has that board, some 52 years later now.    WideAWAKE has a good process.     There are several ways to skin that cat.        Jump in and get your feet wet.       And, post some photo’s.

I’ll give it a shot thanks

Reed

Hello again,

I finally got around to shaping and had some trouble with the planer. When shaping the bottom contours, (single to double concave to vee in the tail) I made some mistakes. One of which was using a too agressive setting on my planer. I cut a little too deep (and at an angle) when I was putting the single concave into the bottom. I fixed most of it but am still having trouble with shaping the three, one-inch chambered stringers.

Does any one have any advice for me on what I should do take down the stringers and make a nice looking bottom?

Thanks,

Reed

Quote of the day, for sure.      Your mistake was in attempting such a complex bottom, so early in your shaping career.      Embrace the principle of KISS.       But, what the hell do I know, eh?      Just jump right in and go for it !       Worst case is you’ll learn something from the process.      I’ll be cheering for you.

Haha thanks Mr. Thrailkill,

I definitely got carried away with the bottom contours. I was actually pretty happy with my last board with those same contours but I used a surform for most of the complicated stuff and the blank was super light eps (very easy to shape). The power planer is much harder to use. Probably not the right tool for the job either…

To knock down the one inch chambered stringers I was using a little hand plane, but it takes forever. Do you have any tips on how to do this maybe with a power planer? My dad got me a new one for my birthday recently and I am having trouble getting consistent results with it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reed

find him on you tube and instagram if you want tips on using a planer he posts videos of him mowing foam almost daily and he’s one of the best in the business. Lots can be learned from watching him build boards. I think his instagram is like kazumasurfboards

Aloha Reed,

From what you are describing that you want to do, try setting your depth of cut to near zero.      You want the blades to only hit high spots.        Move the planer up and down the board, clipping the high spots, until there are no more high spots.       It may take some experimenting to find the correct settings.       In that process, you’ll develop some comfort with the planer, and its use.     Many small cuts, are far superior to one or two large cuts.        Crawl, before you walk.     Walk, before you run.      Run, before you fly.      You’ll get there, just be patient.

Found this thread and the unfinished board yesterday. Shaped it into a 5’6" asymmetrical kitesurfing board (to cover up all of my mistakes). My skills have improved a lot since this last post. I will attach photos just thought it would be good to update/finish off this conversation.

Reed