Changing Lis Fish Template for Standup

i have two variations of the fish. the first one is pretty standard stuff, low rocker, flat deck, 2.5" thick, round rails and flat bottom with 9x5" keel fins. 5’6" x 21.5" x 2.5". floats me very very well, belly button dry at 160 lbs. the other one is 5’10" x 23" x 2", has more rocker, concave deck, thin shortboard rails, single concave bottom and 6" twin fins. the first one is perfectly suited to fatter longer waves like trestles or other point breaks, it really gets alot of speed just bottom turnig and pumping, and carves like no other, perfect cutbacks every time and can handle a floater pretty decently too. it is also a great kneeboard for when it gets nice and hollow. the other one was designed for beachbreak where the waves are quiker and have more power to them. it is super loose and surfs great, off the lips and floaters and snaps and all that are all on the menu, not what you would expect from a fish. it all comes down to where and how you will surf the thing.

Yes, a 5ft 5 fish unless your built like Rob Machado you will be limited for sure but, it will work( and you will be worked at the end of the day). My friend surfs this fish in up to double overhead and has no problem just wishes it was thinner… It’s 6ft 3 and THICK.

I’m close to 5’11", 150 lbs, and have no problems catching waves or riding a 5’6" x 22 Lis fish, at just over 2.5 thick.

That board, in smaller than 7’ waves, catches waves about the same as a 6’8" x 18.5, which I also rode that day.

Quote:

I’m close to 5’11", 150 lbs, and have no problems catching waves or riding a 5’6" x 22 Lis fish, at just over 2.5 thick.

That board, in smaller than 7’ waves, catches waves about the same as a 6’8" x 18.5, which I also rode that day.

…and to answer my question, how does your lower back feel after a week of riding that fish , having had your feet dragging in the water as you have paddled it for hours on end ?

If there’s waves, and I’m not riding the 7’ single fin, my daily board of choice is my 5’11 x 20" x 2 1/2 " fish, the ‘prawn’.

(which , I guess, is how I have changed the Lis Fish kneeboard template , for me anyway, into something suitable for me to stand up on , and that will not hurt my back or my surfing , on a daily basis )

hope this helps...  

ben

These are all guidlines. Guidlines give you a place to start and think about the design. Some people look at guidlines and think they are laws of nature or something. Think about all the people you see in the water that do not have the ability to ride the boards they own because they looked around to see what everyone else was riding and used that as their guidline. Especially middle aged guys like me. Too late, can’t paddle it, frustrated by low wave counts,high performance surfboards for surfers that are not high performance surfers.No longer than your forhead. Five to six inches shorter than you normal board. If you’ve been at it for a while you know what works for you. What LeeD, me, or someone else can ride is pretty irrelevent since most of us have never seen each other surf. If you have the money and time to build and experiment you can push the limits of your comfort zone. Steve Lis fish coming up with the Gephart twins. I think its about eight years old.

Here is the 6ft 3 Rich Pavel quad… Rooster your pic looks like a Toby fish??

thanks for the shots Rooster !

I like the fins.

…and the green sky…

…I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G, very interesting indeed !!

[ *what is that you grow out on that ranch of yours ? …it sure seems to make the colours brighter, THAT’S for sure ! *]

ben 
  • ps - I’m kidding , of course…watch out for the aussie humour !

Those days are way behind me, Chip, thank God. A few cold beers and an occasional shot of Tequilla. Just a Dad who is still stoked on surfing and having fun with pigmented resins. I love to grow things, too. All of it legal!Mike

Quote:

Check out the 7’3" Becker. Flat rocker and tons of foam to play with. I have a recent Lis fish for stand-up. The nose is pulled down to 14.5 inches. It has a bit of concave going between the fins. I’ve used the 6’9" A for bigger fishes with good results. That blank has a bit of rocker in it though. I think the blank Mr. Brom uses is a trade secret. Check the archives. He used to post here under Magic Man. His boards are beautiful, aren’t they? I have a template I took from the Lis fish and can put it on paper and mail it to you if you’d like.Mike

Mike can you mail me the template??

Mike, if you don’t mind mailing… I’d love a copy of that template as well! I can’t get enough of these things - so much fun to surf. Let me know if mailing a copy of the template is possible, and I’ll give you my address. Thanks again…

Josh

Josh, PM me an address. Mike

who knows where the widepoint should be on a 5’10 lis style…im building one for kneeboarding…stringerless eps is wierd…getting used to it…

lis uses different set up fins than frye or larmo. Does any body knows exactly where could i mark the dot for the back of my keel fin on a 5’8x21x3?

thanks

Quote:

I know the 5’5" template for the Steve Lis Fish is everywhere here, and a great template it is, for a kneeboard. But is it really good for standup surfing? What changes would one make? … What about widths, rockers, etc? The Steve Brom Fishes are really thick and they simply shred.

Thanks

hi 220 !

I think it was ?LeeV ? who sent me a stubbie template a while ago .

It looked to me like a good fish template , but extended to around 6’ , with a nice widish square tail .

For stand up surfing .

It looked like a much more symmetrical , extended version of my own 5’7 stubbie , which although it is thick and chunky [tech term] rails , does not go as I would have hoped.

So, I guess for me , " changing Lis fish template for standup" …

extending the fish ,

squaring off the tail ,

keeping it wide , [but 20" is adequate for my 155lbs , and enables me to go rail to rail better …but , for you , it depends how big you are , I guess ?]

perhaps thinning the thickness ,

and

having good nose rocker [if I make a 6’ stubbie from LeeV’s template one day , I would use our 6’3 burford blanks] .

I’ve found that my recently made 5’8 “fish” style board [ which has more nose rocker than my 5’11 ‘prawn’ ] surfs better , once up and riding …

okay , I hope this helps !

cheers ,

ben

That classic 5-5 template is fine for stand-up surfing or kneeing. You may have to adjust the fin placement for stand-up. I’m not familiar with fin placement on knee boards. For the stand-up option. Put the rear edges of the keels in line with the end of the butt crack and the tips, straight up, no toe-in and blast off!Mike