Changing Lis Fish Template for Standup

I know the 5’5" template for the Steve Lis Fish is everywhere here, and a great template it is, for a kneeboard. But is it really good for standup surfing? What changes would one make? Maybe thicker? The Lis Fish peaks at 2.5", I would think for standup it should go 2-7/8" or even 3". What about widths, rockers, etc? The Steve Brom Fishes are really thick and they simply shred.

Thanks

Lis I rode was a 5’6" x 22.5 at around 2.65 thick. Floated my 55 year old fat butt just fine, and floats the owner’s 180 just fine. Coulda used more fin for me (backside), but fine for toe turns.

Are those Brom fish really 3in thick? Are the noses thick too or do they taper significantly? I’ve been toying around with a fish over the past few days, and I’m trying a super thin nose this time around. Still roughly 2.75" at wide point, though. I’ll give a report after it’s glassed and goin’…

The Brom noses are very thick. And from what I understand, he takes an 8’ blank (don’t know which model) and takes it down from there. He has plenty of blank to play with.

I just used a normal Clark 6’1" blank and just didn’t have enough thickness for the finished fish. It also had way too much rocker.

For the 5’5" Lis Fish template, maybe the new Clark 6’9"A might work? If not, I try to find which blank Brom uses and take it from there.

Actually, I like the 6’2"C for sub-six fish. You don’t have to go as thin as I did in the nose with that blank, and you don’t have to spend tons of time foiling it down. The rocker is pretty flat also, especially if you slide your template all the way back and cut your extra length off the nose.

I’m sorry, I meant the Clack 6’2"C, not the 6’1". I still find the 6’2"C to be rather thin.

Check out the 7’3" Becker. Flat rocker and tons of foam to play with. I have a recent Lis fish for stand-up. The nose is pulled down to 14.5 inches. It has a bit of concave going between the fins. I’ve used the 6’9" A for bigger fishes with good results. That blank has a bit of rocker in it though. I think the blank Mr. Brom uses is a trade secret. Check the archives. He used to post here under Magic Man. His boards are beautiful, aren’t they? I have a template I took from the Lis fish and can put it on paper and mail it to you if you’d like.Mike

As I was designing my fish template, I went through the archives and found somewhere saying that the wide point must be moved back a bit. I moved my wide point 3 inches back. Also, the bottom back of the board must be shaped to have a sharp edge. The lis fish template has the bottom back a little rounded. Other template revisions that I have found was to put a vee on the bottom. I hope this helps you.

Rio

Quote:

Check out the 7’3" Becker. Flat rocker and tons of foam to play with. I have a recent Lis fish for stand-up. The nose is pulled down to 14.5 inches. It has a bit of concave going between the fins. I’ve used the 6’9" A for bigger fishes with good results. That blank has a bit of rocker in it though. I think the blank Mr. Brom uses is a trade secret. Check the archives. He used to post here under Magic Man. His boards are beautiful, aren’t they? I have a template I took from the Lis fish and can put it on paper and mail it to you if you’d like.Mike

Broms are TOO beautiful to surf, that’s how nice they are. Is your Lis fish template diff from the one I already have? What I’d really like is a Brom fish template…

10-Q

Yes Brom’s Fish are THICK, I recently had him make me one and it is a bit over 3" at the thickest point, mine might be a little bigger I’m 190lbs and 45YO. The nose is thick too probably at least 1" thick about 1" down, so he doesn’t foil them out much. It is funny, looking at them you (I) wouldn’t think they would ride that well. But they work extremely well… go fast and will handle some size.

Steve has his formula down, and he is a pleasure to deal with; he even emailed me some pictures to make sure the color is what I wanted prior to shipping it to the East Coast.

Jim M

HE HE HE!!! Your all surfing 35 yr old KNEEBOARDS!!! —hehehehe.

Quote:

HE HE HE!!! Your all surfing 35 yr old KNEEBOARDS!!! —hehehehe.

And I bet you laugh at this too??

Nice! Here is mine…

Sweeeeettttt!

That fish is beautiful. Dimensions?

My lis fish template is along the lines of Liquids board. Not like the template in Surfboard Design and Construction. mike

Quote:

My lis fish template is along the lines of Liquid’s board. Not like the template in Surfboard Design and Construction. mike

....do you mean these orange and/or the dark green ones, Mike ?

No, all these fish are from templates of templates of templates from the original fish. I’ll try to post a picture of the Lis Fish. It was given to me by a friend in San Diego. My boards were designed for my own size weight and lack of ability. The Lis fish is a bit too small and thin for me plus its a tired worn out old board. My buddy does not take care of his boards. Mike

Quote:

… The Lis fish is a bit too small and thin for me … Mike

which returns me to my original question [at least the one I’ve had in my mind for a long time now] and ‘Liquid’ rightly more than hinted at…

DO I REALLY want to stand up on a 5'5 or 5'6 <span style="text-decoration:underline">kneeboard</span> ?! [If so, WHY?] 

… As a "stand up ‘fish’ " , wouldn’t something say 5’10 get the 'job ’ done better for me, since that is the same height as me ??

Sure, I know ‘fish’ “can be ridden 5-6” shorter than our ‘normal’ [?!] boards". But… WHY, if it means my feet [and , possibly even knees ?] are dragging in the water , as I paddle for a wave ? …kinda defeats the purpose, don’t it ?

…it may be worth thinking about, eh ?

ben 

…for those who don’t get it, what I’m suggesting here is a ‘fish’ long enough to float you without having your legs / feet dragging in the water, if you’re NOT going to be wearing flippers when you ride one.

In my experience, having the board supporting ALL of me when I’m paddling saves excessive wear and tear on my slightly sketchy L5 / S1 lower back area. Which in turn hopefully will mean I can surf more years than otherwise…

I like the feeling of a small board, specially one as wide and thick as the fish. I’ve stood up on my body boards when the blackball signs were up and they work pretty well on rolling point waves. I guess it’s just a personal choice as to what size of board you want. I must admit that I’ve never ridden on a fish (I’m making one now), but with all of the foam and thickness that it has it should be enough to float the average person. Some might argue that the smaller the board the less drag it has so it can go faster. Or that it is shorter so it would be easier to swing around on a cutback and what not. But I don’t really know, I just like the feeling of a short board. Good question though.