Cheap Platic Skil Planer

Knowing little about electrical, currents, HZ’s etc;  I find the half the Amps or 2.8 amazing and interesting at the same time.  With my limited knowledge, a “light bulb” went off when I read your explanation.  Construction related electrical and the fact that I have wired a few Shaping Bays over the last several years has taught me a lot.  But I got to say that my conversations with you and your contributions to Sways have taught me more about “Why things electrical work”than anything I have encountered.  Thank you Pete.

Check pietersurfboards Instagram profile. He upload a vid of a similar planer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjVMKUHlFF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIR910ngqh/

This one is the Ryobi L22. I shaped a few hundreds of boards with this model, unmodified. Very similar in look to the Skil 100, except for the depth device.

Never seen one of those Ryobi planers before.  Interesting  and very Skil looking.  How is the depth adjustment accomplished?

Just got one of these  Skil 1558 “plastic” model.  HAs anyone tried to open up the shoe on this one to get beyond the meager 2mm factory setting?  

Unlike the Skil’s, the depth adjustment relies on a wheel situated on the front of the shoe (right where the Skil’s lever is) and it takes at least one and a half turn to reach the max depth (about 3mm if I remember well). This can be modified, for sure (I know at least one guy who had done it by grinding a groove in the shoe and installing the very same system (lever) as the Skil’s, but I never had the courage or time to do it.) This planer has been discontinued for years.

I am very thankful for all the help with my 220V Skil 100 Pete.  

Since i got both the Skil 100H with the plastic handle and the “normal” one i could post some pictures here later when i get home.

I was thinking about the same recently. I have shaped 35 boards in the last 4 years with that cheap 1558 planer.

It works ok for me. But I really started missing a good on the fly depth adjustment and a bit more cutting depth.

I stumbled across this old Bosch planer and thought this could be easier than modifiyng the cheap skil 1558.

The bosch was cheap and looks promising from the pictures.

It has this sliding shoe (instead of a vertical thread like the 1558) which gives 2.5mm depth in apr. 70° rotation.

My Dad picked it up for 40€ and will bring it on his next visit. He says it´s running smooth.

I´ll add a knob to the depth adjustment, re-position the handle (steeper), smooth the shoe and groundplate and add a vertical vac attachment.

Anything else I should modify ?

The motor / drive unit is quite bulky though. I hope it doesn´t get in the way to much.

I wouldn’tbe Afraid to open it up.   I took a short stubby Skil that I bought at Lowe’s apart and found that the adjustment was dependent on a small ball bearing.  When I took that out it free flowed without a stiff click.  Can’t remember the model of that planer, but it Is a Skil.  I’ve got it in storage on Maui.  It was real short, probably 4 or 5 inches shorter than a modified Clark Hitachi.  I used it in the Nose of Shortboard and Gun blanks.  Little bitty thing.  Didn’t even have a knob on the front, just a dial.  When you open up a planer, it’s all there.  You can see immediately whether or not you can do anything with the depth adjustment.   And;  Whether or not it’s going to be easy or a complicated process. 

When you cut that handle off and move it back, you’ll have an opening that could be used for a Vac port.  Most guys use an “L” shaped bracket to secure the handle.

Thanks. I´ll try that. I have seen some pictures of those L-shaped handle extensions.

That old Bosch has a sliding shoe which may be cam-driven.  It appears to be at 45 degrees so the shoe moves upwards equally as forward when the depth is increased.  If it is a cam, it’ll be not be viable cost-wise to modify.  Another thing to check is if any part of the body or shoe will interfere if you were to cut a straight groove into foam.  Also the depth scale is max’d at 25mm (about 3/32") which is not a very deep cut.  There are “real” shaping planers available in all EU voltages, PM me for further info.

I know. Is there a problem with the shoe moving forward ? The gap to the blades will increase, but is it a problem ?

I liked the thought of the steeper depth adjustment from the cam driven shoe.

Yes. I don´t plan to modify the shoe actuation besides adding a lever to the control dial and maybe removing a indexing system.

I´ll check for that.

I know.

But 2.5mm is 25% more than the 2mm I have on my 1558 plastic skil right know. Deep enough for me. (close tolerance hotwired EPS blanks)

I´m no real shaper, that´s why I don´t need “real” shaping planers.

Guess this picture is going to hurt the eyes of the planerguys…sorry Pete, sorry Balsa…,

This old Bosch is basically just a vacuumplaner with a 0 depth cut option… but i only do eps and get pretty close with the hotwire.

You will definetly need a longer cord, i guess it is so obvious that you didnt mention it.

If i had been wiser back than , i would have put the exit of the powercord on top make it easier to attach it to the vacuumcleanerhose.

If it works;  It works.   But Betty Bosch wouldn’t win any beauty contests would she.  Lol.

I know

Lol! For a second I was tempted to drop an "adult " comment…keepin moderat though. Cheers…

Never knew such tools exist. So it´s a planer, but no depth adjustment / fixed to zero cutting depth ?

Can you cut railbands and such with zero cutting depth ? Or will it just cut the humps sticking out ?

My cheap skill won´t cut anything, when I set it to zero and I´m trying to imagine how you use that planer.

I only do EPS as well. I hotwire my blanks with less than 1/4" excess in thickness and route the outlines. Never felt the need for very deep cuts.

I only do a little bit of foiling and the cutting of the railbands. 2mm cutting depth has always been enough for me.

Pete, I didn´t mean to offend you or disesteem your planers.

Of course I knew your modified Makita planers and I admire your work. Great tools.

I see and understand the details, where dedicated shaping planers / your planers differ from other planers and why that makes them so good for the job they are intended for.

(I´m an engineer and tinkerer. I take apart, repair and modify things for my whole life. I have a lathe, a milling machine, welding tools and such.)

And it´s no question. The cheap Skill or the old Bosch simply won´t provide a working experience like a dedicated shaping planer does.

It´s just that I´m only scrapping out boards for myself. I hotwire my blanks to very close tolerance and don´t mow a lot of foam with the planer.

That´s why I just can´t justify buying myself a dedicated planer from you or others.

(For the same reason I´m to lazy to do a heavy modification by myself. To many projects and not enough time to modify every tool I use.)

The stock planers have their limitations and will cause some struggeling every now and then. I´m conscious of that. But for now I´m alright with it.

At $210 tho;  pretty hard to beat what Pete has done with that Wen for Shapers Supply.   And among the Aussies and their love of the Makita; a conversion kit for a shaper who already owns a Makita improves it greatly.