cheater coat question

Hi,

so, I just searched the archives, and have a question about a cheater coat.

I just put my last lam on tonight with a vac bag for a longboard reconstruction. Tomorow I’m going to sand, install a new fin box, and if time permits, do the fill/hot coat. I take it I need to squeege on a cheater coat (RR epoxy) before doing my final coat. Do I let it cure all the way, or do my final coat while still tacky?

Thanks.

Pat

From what i understand, if you do the gloss coat on the cheater while slightly tacky still, there is a better bond between coats. Also, if you do this, you will eliminate the sand (optional) and den. alcohol wipe stage. Can someone deny/confirm.

no, no, no…

cheater coat goes on while the LAM is still tacky. you’re passed that stage. just hotcoat and sand as normal…then lay on a gloss if you so desire.

if you keep brushing things around after it’s tacky, you’ll wind up with streaks.

Ah.

Thank you. So I guess I’ll just sand, wipe it down, and do a nice thick coat of epoxy on top, letting it drip down the tape on the sides. Flip and repeat. So simple. That’s basically what I did with my hws between each coat of epoxy.

Pat

Soulstice, escuse my ignorance, but this winds right into a question about this thread subject–for a 2x6 top and 6 bottom–bottom lam, top lam, second lam, then while the second lam coat is still tacky, the top hotcoat–so, ach, when is the bottom hotcoat? Ah, follows the top hot, yeah?

Thankx

too many lams? A bottom 6 , then a top 6/6 (at one time), fill coat on top while sticky, dry/harden, flip, sand the bottom and fill coat bottom .

Thanks, Greg. I almost knew that.

Never change

your sig.

Quote:

From what i understand, if you do the gloss coat on the cheater while slightly tacky still, there is a better bond between coats. Also, if you do this, you will eliminate the sand (optional) and den. alcohol wipe stage. Can someone deny/confirm.

I meant hot coat not gloss…oops