Chris Ward on MR boards.

Some of you guys have probably seen this but there is something about this clip that I find really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPRhZtLxyw

Those waves look really chunky.

Would they be Old Style MR’s, Modern MR’s or something inbetween?

Have Fun.

JD

Yeah, that’s on the “non-thruster” vid clip thread along with lots of other neato boards being ridden all crazy. There’s something about that twin bit I find really fn cool too, like 4 barrels on one wave, at will, that type of thing!

greg

Thanks Greg.

You know I missed that thread for some reason. I’m on to it now.

Theres some cool stuff there.

thanks for starting the thread.

Cheers, JD

Chris rides for Lost…I could be wrong , but I believe Lost has the MR building contract…correction… , sales/distrubution contract.Herb

Sure would be sweet to see the foil, rocker and bottom config. on that twin!?

Mahalo, Rich

Quote:
Chris rides for Lost................I could be wrong , but I believe Lost has the MR building contract...........correction.... , sales/distrubution contract.Herb

ergo it is a LOST advertisement

Quote:
Quote:

Chris rides for Lost…I could be wrong , but I believe Lost has the MR building contract…correction… , sales/distrubution contract.Herb

ergo it is a LOST advertisement

No,Just a statement of facts.Herb

Here are pics of one of the original MR Twins that was used to make the new …Lost model. MR came here to San Clemente in Sept '04 to work on the re-issue/licensed design with Matt Biolos at the …Lost factory. Matt knew I had this original 1980 MR Twinny at the Basham factory. The board that MR brought from Australia was broken in 2 places and put back together, so he was stoked to find an intact original. Matt and MR pulled outline and rocker info from this board to help make the CAD design for the re-issues. When MR came back to San Clemente in Jan '06 for a promo visit I had him sign the board.

This MR board was built at the G&S factory in San Diego when G&S had the original license for US production of MR Twin Fins. At that time when Paul Bodouri was the G&S production manager they were doing 200 boards a week, all full color, gloss and polish with blanks they poured and glued up in-house. This MR board was shaped by Robin Prodanovich in Dec 1980, the color work was by Sam Cody, and it uses the G&S Star Systems fin set-up. The board was finished in Jan of '81, but was quickly made obsolete with the emegence of Simon Anderson’s Tri Fins a few months later.

This MR Twin has a countinous rocker. The vee starts about 18" back from the nose and runs through the whole board, heavy off the tail. In the rear veiw pic I tried to show the “hook wings” and how they turned down, they were was designed to provided holding through bottom turns and cutbacks.

This board was stored away un-used for many years but saw the light of day again in '94 after the release of “Beyond The Boundries”. The footage of Tom Curren on retro and new style fish inspired me to get the MR Twinny wet again. I had several fun sessions in Oceanside and at Lowers. Unfortunaely I did alot of cobblestone damage to the board during a couple of leash-less sessions at Lowers. In Jan '06 MR told me to fix the board up properly, but as you can see it’s still not finished. Now that Lowers season is here again I’ll finish restoring it and get it wet again.

See ya in the water, Byron

http://www.myspace.com/byrondesign

I had an MR twin done by G&S back in '81 (?). Exactly the same board you have there, but I don’t recall the “hook” wings. But I can tell you that the template, rocker, fin set-up, and bottom, with the deep panel vee, were identical… from what I can see. Did the hooked wings fall out of fashion, or never make it to the east coast?

I was 18 or 19 years old at the time, and was riding that thing coming off single fins. The board ripped, and got me a lot of hoots. My next board was a thruster, and after that, a G&S quad that was terrible. Tracked like hell. I thought, two fins was a giant leap. Three fins another giant leap. Four fins… a mistake.

Hook wings did fall out of fashion quickly, difficult to build and tri fins solved the spin-out problem more effectively. I don’t know about hook wings on the East Coast, I’m sure some of the Florida boys tried 'em. The general thinking from West Coast manufactureres was that day to day East Coast waves are weaker, and hook wings were really developed for Hawaii.

Byron

I did twelve Mr boards today at a shop in gardena. They were quads.

I’m building a quad as we speak. I think they didn’t have the fin placement down yet at the time. I think guys where just sticking them on where they looked like they should go. There’s been a lot of improvements since then, I believe (I hope).

Now then, I thought I’d include this in this thread rather than a new one. Here’s one for the standard Sways only-6’2"-thruster-asp conspiracy theory

Did he compete on this?

Discuss

Quote:

Some of you guys have probably seen this but there is something about this clip that I find really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPRhZtLxyw

Those waves look really chunky.

Would they be Old Style MR’s, Modern MR’s or something inbetween?

Have Fun.

JD

Chris is a great surfer…but to me he looks like he is nursing the twin fin and the old style single just looked stiff. I was watching some footage of M.R. surfing on his twins and he makes long powerful sweeping turns. Ward is obviously surfing good…but it’s not the best twin fin footage I have seen and they could have left the single fin footage out all together and you guys know how I like singles.

I think that’s a quad - the back fins are just not in yet… That being said - Wardo did beat Dorian at the Pipe Masters in December on a quad (not a thruster) in what was IMHO the best heat of the comp and one of the few where it actually kinda looked like Pipe. I was lucky enough to be sitting on the beach watching - stoked : )