colder -- prone or standing?

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my mat?

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my > mat? Ah, Tim, an interesting situation. Being up on a board with floatation will keep you from getting chilled by the water, but puts you in the realm of air temperature questions. A fine balancing act there in extreme temperatures. My very recent experiences with modern mats in Southern California, so unlike the canvas beasts of yore, have left me with a soft, warm feeling. Lying on the non-skid coating is kind of like lying on wetsuit, with the benefit of air inside. I feel a definite insulating factor - it’s warm laying on a mat, or like laying on a warm mat, in Southern California water…noticeably more so than on a hard board. How that translates into your water temp I do not know, but we should hear from those who do. Nels

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my > mat? Well, up here in Washington, staying low keeps the chill off.The mat seems to radiate warmth, but that may be a function of my state of mind when riding.

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my > mat? Perhaps evaporation while sitting/standing on a surfboard will make you feel colder. On the surfmat, more of your body is submerged in the water and you’re not getting hit by as much wind. Your chest and abdomen are also in constant contact with the mat. I think this is how it works in tropical climates. The water temps here in Hawaii are about 70-80 deg. year round, so I’m no expert on the cold stuff.

Hey Satch… I’m in WA, with a mat too… e:mail me @ …

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my > mat? Depends on the airtemp and how much you have to paddle whatever you are riding. If the airtemp drops below 32, the water starts to feel warm in comparison. The more you have to paddle the better. regards, Håvard

the water is in the 40s – will i be colder surfing standing up or on my > mat? Water will chill you 27 times faster than air. Think of it this way: If you were buck naked - would you rather be outside in 29 degree air or submerged in 29 degree water? I used to surf year around in the North Atlantic in water temps down to 29 degrees. The most vunerable areas to the cold are always the feet. If you minimize water flow in and out of your booties and gloves - you’ll get alot longer out of your sessions. For winter surfing I always chose a longboard on a point break. You as much of your body out of the water as possible and you want to minimize your chances of being caught inside. At water temps below the mid 30’s you can’t take anymore than a couple on the head before you become disorientated. http://fiberglassflorida.com/2000/

Water will chill you 27 times faster than air. Think of it this way: If > you were buck naked - would you rather be outside in 29 degree air or > submerged in 29 degree water? How about being naked and wet in 29 degree air? You get wet when surfing you know, no matter how you ride. Add a little windchill or alot and I’ll take the water anytime. The other thing is, if it’s 29 degree air, the water is almost always warmer. Thank heaven for the Gulf stream. regards, Håvard

Perception may be that on the surface is warmer - let the air temp get below the water temp - factors change - it is warmer in the water than on surface sitting exposed to the wind - urchin diving on a cold winter day with water temps around 38 degrees you would freeze your balls off on the surface while changing out a tank - sit around on a cold windy day waiting for a set without moving and you will be much colder than in the water - one downside to being in the water is the flush - Alot of stand up guys in Maine wear a cheap dry top (used for kayaking) this keeps the air off of their upper bodies. A persons feet may get cold because of the constant flush which travels throught the suit down to the feet and if your booties are trashed from walking in them to much they stretch out allowing more water between the skin and the neoprene = harder to heat = cold feet. Stand up requires a flexable suit which limits exposure time in the water. Prone surfing allows one to possibly change up the attire . Meaning a light 2mm top with an attached dry hood (worn undern the full suit). Both selected styles have their inherent drawbacks, sharing one in particular — to much water in the suit (from flushing) and you will freeze your a** off.

So does the mat give off warmth? Dale? Seems like moving the air around inside might compress/heat it a bit. Whatever - it’s made me do two pre-dawn patrols already this week. Something is happening!

How about being naked and wet in 29 degree air? You get wet when surfing > you know, no matter how you ride. Add a little windchill or alot and I’ll > take the water anytime. The other thing is, if it’s 29 degree air, the > water is almost always warmer. Thank heaven for the Gulf stream.>>> regards,>>> Håvard Colder standing. Down in the water with just my head poking out there’s no wind chill.

Colder standing. Down in the water with just my head poking out there’s no > wind chill. nothing personal dude. but you are an exmaple of everything thats wrong in surfing. get real. stand up. paipos? yeah right. polynasiens stood up.

nothing personal dude. but you are an exmaple of everything thats wrong in > surfing. get real. stand up. paipos? yeah right. polynasiens stood up. sceptic, who are you referring to when you address the above post? who is the “dude” you are specifically referring to? assuming it is me why wouldn’t i take it personally? i will tell you why. nah, actually i won’t bother, your post was actually too funny. who were the polynasiens? the whole post brings back an interesting story…i read in some surfing magazine or surf related web site once that they (the polynasians) ate shit covered raisins. yes, shit. you know, after reading that i decided to “get real” and also eat shit covered raisins. i used to eat chocolate covered raisins, and sometimes just plain raisins, but since reading that the polynasiens ate their raisins covered with shit i would do the same. i thank you for pointing this (how i am everything that is wrong with surfing i assume because i enjoy surfing on a mat)out to me. many years ago i fell into a similar group, i was everything that was wrong with onnivores…no longer, at least not since i started eating shit covered raisins. hopefully now i will no longer be everything that is wrong with surfing, and surfing will, once again, be pure and perfect. in closing my only two comments are (1) thank you and (2) perhaps you should eat shit one day

I have a sneaky feeling that sceptic is just another fictional character. Made up by someone to stir the pot and show us the flipside of life. To be continued…

I have a sneaky feeling that sceptic is just another fictional character. > Made up by someone to stir the pot and show us the flipside of life. To be > continued… …I’m colder standing on the beach, thinking about how cold the water will be.Herb

…I’m colder standing on the beach, thinking about how cold the > water will be. I’m colder getting out of the water, thinking about how friggin cold it will be when I get out of the wetsuit. (I’ve driven home with the wetsuit on from time to time, not taking it of until I get in the shower.) regards, Håvard

I have a sneaky feeling that sceptic is just another fictional character. > Made up by someone to stir the pot and show us the flipside of life. To be > continued… Nah, he’s for real. I met him and his 10,000 “bros” at Huntington last summer.