Color

I have some questions about color. It seems that specific information is often hard to come by. What is the best paint for spraying on foam? Brand names and types. Eg: Acrylic water-base by_________________? Also John Carper’s video on airbrushing spends a lot of time giving ALMOST enough info about color. For example, he spends a LONG time showing a guy doing a cartoon-style illustration on a board, but what I need to know is: Do you paint on the hot coat or the gloss coat? What kind and brand-name pens is he using? Can you put a gloss coat over the painting? or do you need to? And how about sources of supply…Where does a guy buy quality airbrushes, resin color in quantity, paint pens, etc. Anyone who can help with these questions will be providing valuable info to me and a lot of other folks out there who have talent and a desire to color-up surfboards, but need some practical, nuts and bolts facts about the products. THANKS! Doug Schuch

I have some questions about color. It seems that specific information is > often hard to come by. What is the best paint for spraying on foam? Brand > names and types. Eg: Acrylic water-base by_________________? Also John > Carper’s video on airbrushing spends a lot of time giving ALMOST enough > info about color. For example, he spends a LONG time showing a guy doing a > cartoon-style illustration on a board, but what I need to know is: Do you > paint on the hot coat or the gloss coat? What kind and brand-name pens is > he using? Can you put a gloss coat over the painting? or do you need to? > And how about sources of supply…Where does a guy buy quality > airbrushes, resin color in quantity, paint pens, etc. Anyone who can help > with these questions will be providing valuable info to me and a lot of > other folks out there who have talent and a desire to color-up surfboards, > but need some practical, nuts and bolts facts about the products. THANKS! > Doug Schuch Hi Doug, On foam the water base (water base is the key) paint I use is tempera paint. Thin with a clear acrylic. The cartoon thing is ‘Posca (brand)’ paint pens. They are applied over a sanded hotcoat. I haven’t seen any done with a gloss coat applied on top. I have seen them done and covered with acrylic sealer or ‘Krylon’ clear spray right out of a spray can. I go to ‘Fiberglass Hawaii’ for my supplies.

Hi Dough, I always paint on a hotcoat then cover with a gloss coat. I m using eps foam for board building, paint on hotcoat is most likely the best way to hide all those mistakes u made. I use spray can to cover the hotcoat. Those materials in here ( Hong Kong ) will be hard to find in your place. Therefore I m not going to specify the product name here. Hope it may help. And have a happy boardbuilding life. Regards, Crabie

hi, Well i use acrylic and paint straight onto the blank when it has been shaped, then i glass it. I have actually jusr done a design and now i hate it, so, PLAN your design very well, coz i didnt and now im fucking stuck with it! huw

Hi Doug, On foam the water base (water base is the key) paint I use is > tempera paint. Thin with a clear acrylic. The cartoon thing is ‘Posca > (brand)’ paint pens. They are applied over a sanded hotcoat. I haven’t > seen any done with a gloss coat applied on top. I have seen them done and > covered with acrylic sealer or ‘Krylon’ clear spray right out of a spray > can. I go to ‘Fiberglass Hawaii’ for my supplies. Rick…have you ever tried using the thinned paints over the sanded hotcoat and then sealed? I would like to paint, using brushes, a board that a friend of mine has sanded. Anyone have any ideas?

Rick…have you ever tried using the thinned paints over the sanded > hotcoat and then sealed? I would like to paint, using brushes, a board > that a friend of mine has sanded. Anyone have any ideas? Hey kmt, I’ve only done color on foam. I have used clear water based acrylic sealer over hot coat to kind of ‘seal up’ sand finished boards. I’d think that an acrylic would go on like posca as the paint pen is kind of a brush which holds paint. A sealer coat or two will protect the color. Later bro.