Colored hot coat rails

Want to do black rails to cover up some blemishes in my lam coat. Thinking about doing a second hotcoat on the rails with black pigment. Anyone do this? I’ve done spray paint with clear spray coat over top and never like how it turns out as it’s hard to get the same texture feel and look at the end. Any tips or info would be appreciated.

People do it but most of the time you’ll get sand through spots. You can always airbrush black and then hotcoat over that (still might get sand through).
If you want more of a guarantee black coverup, do an additional lamination on the rails only. I’d do 2 layers of 4 oz. It’ll make it heavier but also stronger.

Gotcha thanks for the reply. I’ve heard that hot coating over the paint could cause it to not have a good bond to the board. Not sure how true that is. Glassing and colors is still my weakness. I decided to just do color on the top and rails and didn’t get my color fully soaked around the rails causing some real light spots.

You’re right. Color under the hotcoat can have negative effects. The best route is to use like materials.