Composite Resource Epoxy - new formula - blush - what happened?

I’m partly posting this to try and unlock my account, but what the hell:  it seems to be a topic that hasn’t been covered.

My bud that taught me to make boards liked the old purple Composite Resource epoxy over anything else he’d tried, and he’d tried most, I think primarily because its hotcoats lay down so smooth and flat – smoother and flatter by far, with fewer bubbles, than any Resin Research I’ve tried (and I use RR fast, slow and KK, myself, because they’re quicker, seem to have fewer allergen-type effects, and the option of slow kick is necessary, at least for me, when doing fin boxes and plugs in EPS).

Earlier this year, they changed their formula, and the old purple stuff isn’t even available.  The new stuff, when my bud used it, gave him blush results that he never got with the old stuff.

Anybody know what happened there?  Our outlet for it (don’t want to put them on the spot, so I’m not going to mention the name) said it had something to do with EPA regs.

I guess another note worth putting out there is that both my bud and I would be interested in buying up some of it if anybody has any laying around unused and in good shape…

One word.

Humidity.

SIX words…" Did not use Green Room Resin"

Boards I glassed today then filler coat. Ambient temp at 87F and humidity 95-100%

Green room blanco with west coast fast hardner for lam and hot coat.

Thanks, M, for getting my account back to me – I posted the original topic.

I think my bud is convinced that the humidity factor wasn’t any different from when he was using the original purple CR – and with the purple (the no longer being made original version), I actually used to glass outdoors under a fiberglass corrugated roof (sun coming through, filtered), when it was raining without getting blush.  Crazy, but true.  I actually may even have gotten my best results under those conditions – hotcoats so flat and glossy that if you hotcoated with a “zipper,” the zipper’s all you’d have to sand, and other builders would have thought you had a gloss-sanding magic trick, based on the result.  He also glasses in a dry/arid part of the Bay Area (I’m in Santa Cruz, but he glasses inland, and we really haven’t been having any humid weather for a while, even in SC – it’s been arid and HOT).

Also, re blush, I have blush problems with RR Kwik Kick when I add surfacing agent.  A pro glasser locally confirmed he has the same findings.  And I do get problems with RR, of course, when there’s moisture in the air.  My results with RR when it’s raining have uniformly included some blush, regardless of whether with fast or KK.

Still, my main curiosity is (1) why they had to change it, what was in it that the EPA demanded/dictated that they change and (2) if anybody has some me and my bud can buy (funny, maybe, but true).

What’s Green Room Resin?  Have I fallen that far behind the curve, since losing my account info?

I have had blush with RR KK too.  I was going to try a dehumidifier this winter.

bb30 is a fan of Green Room.  His work speaks for itself.

I need to locate a retailer and try it.

Done a lot of glassing with surfboard epoxy in high humidity, mostly the Fiberglass Hawaii aluzine.

I just laminated a new board over the weekend and it was raining outside. The room I use is not climate controlled, and I leave the windows open a little for ventilation. I’ll have to see how the fill coat looks today, but it looked nice before I left it to cure. What does the blush look like on your friend’s board?

Wavy/cloudy/(fine-)bubbly white lines & very-fine bubbles, like you would think (I think?) – an overall cloudy result with the cloudiness having a kind of wavy form that seems to be mainly in the upper layer of the hotcoat.  Again, because for me I always plan on a rough (220 or 400) sanded finish, I don’t really care, am not bothered, but when it comes to getting a glossy result there’s no way that I’d trust KK with surfacing agent to produce it.  The CR purple (pre-recent formula change) is the only resin I’ve used (I’ve only used CR and all the different RR options) that produces a flat/glassy enough finish to just leave alone other than sanding a zipper.

I’m surprised more people haven’t had more experience with CR, but maybe that is due to CR being slow (a little slower than RR “Fast”) to kick.  I don’t imagine many commercial board makers would have much use for CR.  It’s more apt to be something backyarders would like (the pre-new-change-version, that is, because it produces such a smooth/flat hotcoat).

I’ve used the Composite Resin, too.  I like it better than RR.  Wets out great and the fill coat lays down nice and flat. Even in the Rat Turd Lab.  My only complaint is the price. Hope they didn’t change the mix and screw it up. Mike

Mike, are you talking about the purple?  They definitely did change the product recently.  That’s what my post (I’m “anonymous” above) is/was about.  If you have a source for the original purple stuff, I would really like to know about it (after, of course, you buy up what you want).

They changed their product’s composition.  My local supplier says it’s because of EPA regs.  I dunno if that’s true or not, but they (the local spot) are not selling the original stuff at all, any more.

Hi batfishe.  I’m colorblind and have a difficult time differentiating between purple and blue.  I havn’t used composites for a couple of years since I have a good source for RR at a better price.  I almost bought some on Sunday when I went to pick up some polyester. If your source is in SC it’s probably the same place I bought mine. I bought mine from Freeline.  I used to get it directly from Revchem. I like the stuff.  Sometimes I would get a perfect gloss because it layed down so nice.  Except for the tape line.  Never had a problem with it or funky shit going on and my space is far from clean.  Too bad they changed it.  Mike

do you use a surfacing agent with your filler coats? Glassed more boards today and it was raining and 85F plus. no problems.

Attached pic of my old additive F glass pour bottle. Haven’t use it for a year or so. Look at all the crystals on the bottom and xylene totally evaporated. My thought is blush seen with additive F is due to xylene evaporation and make the parafin at higher concentrations and it comes out of solution cloudy when added to resin. Mine would mix in fine with the larger batch of resin and not seem cloudy after properly mixing.

If you live on the mainland you just need to pick up the phone and call green room resin company to order. The hardeners that I know of are slow, regular fast, and west coast fast. I mainly use west coast fast for glassing but having regular fast for your lamination and west coast fast for filler and final coats would be a good way to go. The resin is green room “blanco” which is very clear and pours like water. Nothing extra needed. sands great, west coast fast is pretty fast in my high temp location. at 20-15 minutes I am putting on the filler coat of resin when using west coast fast hardener. I have never used the resin you talk about but have had good results with FGH, RR and Green Room. Have used hundreds of gallons of the first two and green room about 50 plus gallons. I find green room to cure faster, gel quickly with filler/final coats and sand better and no additives needed for any process of the board glassing.

All époxy resin can blush. Some more than other de pend of climat and chemicals use for resin/hardener. Blush is an oily film over stiffen resin, it’s soluble with water. Happen in cold and humid climat because or condensation. Addf is the thing to use with RR products for avoid blush. Addf need to be fluid when add to resin so keep it warm. What you describe, cloudyness from micro bubble looks more like a foaming effect that happen in high exotherm réaction or with foaming agent.

Just ran into this thread from years back while looking for a source for CR epoxy other than a CA wholesaler & Freeline. Still looking for a good wholesale source, if anybody has one. The CA wholesaler I bought if from recently charged me about $30 more per gallon than at retail from Freeline. I had other issues with the wholesaler as well, and won’t order from them in the future, & so am seeking another source. If I can’t find one (I say this for CR’s benefit, if a company rep happens to read this), eventually I’ll find another solution and just won’t use CR.

Some updates on CR resin, unrelated to that:

I don’t know if they changed the recipe again, but the CR that is available now seems to be back to making nice hotcoats. I’ve been using it again specifically for hotcoats because it lays down so smooth and flat, and clear. Usually I’ll lam with RR (either KK or slow, depending on the job), fill with RR if doing fill, then hotcoat with CR. With KK I often get an undesirable surface phenomenon that may or may not be “blush” proper (sometimes it seems to be uncured resin that gathers salt, or who knows what, to produce a white/cloudy surface phenomenon that looks like blush after use, but not necessarily during the initial 24 hours after hotcoating). A couple of times I’ve done fill coats with KK, though, and then hotcoated with CR and that seems both to eliminate that cloudy during-/after- result, as well as making the final overall glassing more clear and transparent and brilliant – white foam is whiter and the resin as a whole (including the RR under the CR) seems clearer and more translucent when the final coat is CR.

Here’s an example of a recent CR hotcoat (with blue pigment in it): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw7m43uAfAv/ (3rd & 2nd from last pics are of CR hotcoat).

Sometimes I get hotcoats that are as smooth with RR, but often I still have the blush issues, more pinholes, cloudier results generally, with RR. RR seems to be more sensitive to different temp & humidity changes. I’ve gotten mirror smooth hotcoats needing no sanding while using CR in an open air carport while it’s raining.

Anyway, long and short of the update: it’s possible I’m doing a better job of using the epoxy than I used to, but it does seem like maybe the epoxy recipe has improved from after the initial change. The bud mentioned earlier in the thread is still using CR, has tried other resins with mixed results, but he’s back to CR and he says for him the results are inconsistent, though he tries to do everything exactly the same way as when he gets the best results for every board. He’s detailed and a professional craftsman (example of attention to detail: glasses in an enclosed room, closes doors and turns off all the lights (fluorescents can attract dust, and there are fluorescents on the ceiling over the glassing racks) – but it’s a commercial warehouse with other businesses around, so it’s possible there is some variance in how clean the air is.

I glass in a covered barn with only 3 walls (one permanently open barn door), though, and my main review is that consistently the hotcoats lay flatter and smoother than RR (I use RR for everything if I don’t have CR, CR for the hotcoat if I have it). I prefer RR for other reasons – basically every single reason except for how flat the CR hotcoats lay.

Want to say thanks to bb30 for the earlier recs on this thread. I’m going to look into that epoxy.

I have some old CR. I don’t think it’s over four year old though. Inherited it from a friend. I’m getting ready to do the deck fill coat today. I’ll see if I have enough to do it. The rest is RR. Mike

I’m confused regarding Batfische’s post - Specifically, the use of “fill coat” and “hot coat” in reference to epoxy.

If I use polyester resin, it is no big deal to add a bit of extra MEKP (hardener) to the mix to speed things up, hence the term “hot coat.”

I have read here on Swaylocks that epoxy should always be mixed true to the ratio formula in all layers - lam and fill coats.  

Also, there is definitely a difference between the ‘frosty’ looking white stuff due to moisture exposure during cure, the clear ‘greasy’ feeling film due to blush, and the white ghostly result when epoxy is over squeegeed introducing a frothiness to the mix.  

Not trying to start an argument, just to clarify.  It helps to be on a similar page when discussing this sort of thing.

jonmellor - I’m a noob to glassing (I think around 60 boards), and never worked in a glassing shop, so I may use terms incorrectly. When I say “fill coat” I mean a coat of resin and cabosil/qcel/balloons intended to either smooth out a lam as sort of (with epoxy) a “sanding coat” (poly equivalent?). Probably I should have said “sealing coat” or something else… I meant that I used a Qcel/epoxy/pigment mix instead of spackle on the deeply gouged “recycled” board in the link.

Re mixing ratios, I’m probably a less careful person in that respect. I glass in an open air barn with one completely open wall, so I sometimes err on the side of slightly more hardener (with RR) when it’s cold, greater effort not to err with extra hardener when it’s above 72 or 72 degrees. One interesting thing about Composite Resource is that it seems to do better than RR when the ratio mix has too little hardener, as far as kicking regardless of being low on hardener in the mix. Exotherm does seem to come up more often and more intensely with CR – I would never use it to do EPS boxes, only slow RR or Kwik Kick. Learned not to use CR for EPS boxes the hard way.

CR doesn’t seem to have any advantages over RR, really, except for in the hotcoat results. It’s somewhere between Fast & Slow RR as far as kick and flip time. It might wet out a little better than RR fast. One minus for me with CR is that it seems to have more effects on me physically than RR – my nose always seems to run non-stop for about 24 hrs if I breathe in the smell of it for more than a brief few seconds.

My inexact mixing could definitely be related to the blush results with RR, but when I say inexact I just mean I’m not measuring by weight, or using more than 1 cup, so there is room for error and with RR I try to err on the side of slightly more hardener, rather than slightly more epoxy “A.” With CR I would try to err the other direction.

For what it’s worth. I alway mix epoxy by volume 2:1 regardless of weather. That’s 2 parts blueberry to 1 part lemon lime. I try not to use it at all during the cool winter months and use sun cure polyester. Im a shitty glasser and don’t want any drama with the resin. Especially, playing with chemical mixtures when the chemist who make the stuff say 2:1. Adding catalyst to polyester is a completely different type of chemical reaction than epoxy I believe so adding more hardener to epoxy may f…k it up. Just sayin. Mike

Never intentionally alter the ratio of epoxy resin and hardener. Everything should be done to get an exact a ratio as possible, whether by volume or weight. Regarding mixing by volume, be cynical that the mixing cup graduations are correct. Using the same graduated mixing cups, my scale revealed they were imprecise. Usually in favor of too little hardener, poured second.

If the ratio is off slightly, it will still likely still cure to sandability, but it will not have all its full physical properties. If I screw up when mixing, like going way over on the hardener, I do not just add 2x as much extra resin to compensate, and continue. I pretty much curse and give up on that batch of resin, as it is not worth it if it does not cure properly, and these are smaller batches used on fins or repairs.

Enough to laminate a whole side of a board, one better be precise, accuate, and careful. I make lots of tiny batches of epoxy, and used to do so by volume. It is Much easier to get the ratio wrong when mixing small batches by volume.

When I have improperly mixed epoxy it remains fingernail denting soft, it sands weird, smells different, bonds poorer, flexes different, and when polished, it looks different in good light.

Epoxy strength and durability and workability are obviously compromised and inferior when mixed improperly, the degree to which it is affected depends on how off the ratio was, and no doubt some epoxy is more tolerant of imprecise ratios than others. But never think it is of no consequence and ‘just fine.’

‘Just fine’ is often in reality just barely above failure, in my opinion. Seems to be the phrase used by those intentionally doing things wrong with inferior products or by those who can’t be bothered to care about results and say 'close enough"

Epoxy can really punish those who say ‘close enough’.

I now mix Epoxy by weight to the 0.01 gram +/- 0.03(a drop of Apex hardener at 70f is about 0.05 grams) and my mixing stick is shaped to scrape both the sides and bottom of the cup at the same time, which significntly reduces the time to a complete mixture. All 5 sides of the mixing stick get scraped along the same side of the cup, more than once during mixing, and all 5 sides of the mixing stick are square, not rounded. Careful to not fling resin upwards near one’s eyes, when scraping its side on the inside of the mixing cup.

Scraping the sides of the mixing stick and cup early in the mixing process will reduce the time it takes to completely mix the resin and hardener. This is important as when the clock starts ticking once hardener hits resin, things can get rushed, and mistakes more easily made.

It is so not worth the potential poor results incurred from of mixing it improperly, that one should not apply any of their PE resin mixing habits to epoxy. It has to be a precise ratio, and mixed thoroughly within the mixing cup. Letting any drip down the outside of the cup when mixing can and will screw up the ratio to some degree, which is pretty much a NON factor with PE resin.

A strong light shined into the epoxy mixing cup one has stirred for well over a minute, can reveal swirls and whorls, indicating ethe epoxy is not thoroughly mixed, these swirls often cannot be seen without a strong light source shined into it. Doubters should try it before skoffing. I have excellent workshop lighting, and a 700 lumen headlamp on my forehead and some reading glasses reveals so much more than double 8 foot fluorescents 4 feet above does. No extra lighting available?.. take the cup into the sunlight to see the swirls and whorls in the mixing cup.

I have experience with few different epoxy brands. West, which I hated, System 3, Apex, and DMC. The System 3 general purpose resin is nothing special, likely well overpriced for what it is these days, but their clear coat resin is super slow and thin and my favorite for lamiating when time is not a factor, or for installing fin boxes in one step.

Their SB-112 resin is my favorite ‘fill’ or ‘final’ coat resin. I did not even know what a fisheye/orangepeel was until I started using different epoxy resins and started to have to take all sorts of extra steps to prevent them. Never had any visible blush or humidity related issues with sb-112 either. I cant say it laid down perfectly flat though, but no fisheyes, brush strokes could still be seen especially when overworking it. They advertise it as a tie-coat, in that polyester resin will bond to and cure properly to it. System3 sb-112 is not cheap epoxy and is an old formulation with potentially very old stock being sold online, but it is still my favorite, of the epoxies I have so far tried.

I’ve not tried System3’s Silvertip epoxy, which is their latest formulation. They kind of market it as being well superior to, and replacing most all their other epoxies. Likely immaterial to surfboard production though as it is likely 2x the price of RR and other surfboard specific epoxy resins.

Older epoxy resin might get all crystalline in the bottle when exposed to cool/cold storage temperatures. I had some Apex epoxy resin pour normally, but then I noticed a it had grown clear branches  within the bottle when it was tipped, only noticed as its weight when tipped, did not respond as anticipated. There was a crystalline bush stuck to teh bottom several inches up. Heat the offending resin in its bottle to 120f for a while. I use a 5 gallon bucket, and raise the water temp to 120f and occassionaly lift it out and swirl the bottle around. System 3 resins will go from white back to clear doing this. The Apex epoxy worked normally afterward such a treatment dissolving the crystalline bush.

I bring this up as the Apex resin bottle gave no obvious Visible clues it required this treatment, until I poured it. The clear bottle showed it was still blue and completely normal looking. The latest batch of Apex resin I got comes in a white plastic bottle and would be even harder to notice if it had crystallized within due to time and low storage temps.

It is not worth the hassle when epoxy does not cure properly, so one should always insure the resin is still fully liquid throughout the whole bottle, that the ratio of resin to hardener is as precise as possible, whether by volume or weight, and that it is mixed thoroughly within the mixing cup.

These are all things PE resin is not really subject to, or all that concerned with. Such an attitude with epoxy will likely have the applier bad mouth working with epoxy resin, when the fault lies at the applier’s feet.

I very much regret the time and material wasted when mixing small batches of epoxy by volume. I really wish I got the scale much sooner, as not only can one mix tiny batches precisely, they can also mix muxh smaller portions without fear. I used to have to mix no less than 15ML to insure it cured ‘good enough’ when I only needed 1/3 that amount for the task at hand.

Now I can make sub 6ML batches precisely, without worry that it will cure properly, and waste significantly less epoxy doing so, and reuse the same mixing cup over and over.

Digital scales are cheap, and will often pay for themselves in that one can use just about any mixing cup they want, rather than the more expensive, harder to procure ones, with trusted graduations on them. I pour resin, take the grams, multiply them by 0.44, hit the tare button on the scale, and pour that much hardener.

The epoxies I’ve worked with vary from 100:43 to 100:45. Mixing small batches of epoxy by volume required a new clean cup on a level table and leaning over and trying to account for meniscus at different epoxy temperatures.

Get a scale and a dollar store calculator with big buttons, its faster and easier, especially when smaller batches are desired. It is a huge regret that I did not get a scale sooner. I’ve been finding some fins I made nearly 20 years ago for fcs1 tabs, when small batches were required to fillout the tabs or depressions in the foil, to have layer separation and other strength hardness and finishing issues, all because I thought mixing small batches by volume was ‘good enough’.

Don’t take chances with epoxy. Mix it precisely to ratio, and thouroughly within the mixing cup, and mixing by weight will yield superior more consistent results for most users. The digital scale will pay for itself!

Good post !

Epoxy rules are simple : précise mix (most epoxy formulator say 5% off max), long everywhere mixing (2 minutes mix) spread resin allover quickly, let soak and scrap off with minimal squegge or brush work, work in warm and dry climat so resin is fluid and don’t blush.

Simple rules but you must respect them if you don’t want problems. 

+1 on the merits of the cheap digital kitchen scale.    Accurate to the gram.  As long as you mix long/slow your mix will never go wrong.  Not even when mixing tiny amounts for a ding repair.  You can use cheap unmarked plastic cups for mixing, and resuse cups until they get dirty.