concave/ vee

hi, i am building a smale wave 10ft. N19" M 24" T 16" 3 1/8" ,longboard with rounded tail. i put a 1/8" vee in the tail, 40" long (from 1/8 too zero) and a 1/8" deep concave from nose too mid (1/8 in the nose too zero in the middle) i am going too use 4/6oz on the bottom and 6/6oz +fabric inlay on top. please any comment on my concave/vee setup. thanx

hi, i am building a smale wave 10ft. N19" M 24" T 16" 3 > 1/8" ,longboard with rounded tail. i put a 1/8" vee in the tail, > 40" long (from 1/8 too zero) and a 1/8" deep concave from nose > too mid (1/8 in the nose too zero in the middle) i am going too use 4/6oz > on the bottom and 6/6oz +fabric inlay on top. please any comment on my > concave/vee setup. thanx Concave in the nose seems too long but its so shallow you might not notice. Depending on your rails, this configuration may tend to grab or track on trim. If you soften the rails it’ll be ok. Seems too long and shallow for nose riding but that will depend on the rocker… V sounds ok but if it is a single fin, flatten it behind the box to the tail block. Tri-fin can keep the V to the tail block. 24-inches wideX10’long will plan like a mother but will be difficult to turn quickly…If its not too late you might want to deepen the V another 1/8" Just make sure it flows smoothly from flat to V and back. The V will loosen the thing up. With those dimensions, I don’t think you have to worry about slowing the thing down by deepening the V. Keep the rails soft to the last 18 inches, then harden them up. A lot of this is really dependent on the rocker; more rocker less V/ less rocker more V. Newbs

Depending on your weight…ie. if you are a big guy, I’d go bit heavier on the glass. Say like an 8oz on bottom and a double 8oz on top. Or you could go 8oz/6oz on top.>>> Concave in the nose seems too long but its so shallow you might not > notice. Depending on your rails, this configuration may tend to grab or > track on trim. If you soften the rails it’ll be ok. Seems too long and > shallow for nose riding but that will depend on the rocker…>>> V sounds ok but if it is a single fin, flatten it behind the box to the > tail block. Tri-fin can keep the V to the tail block. 24-inches > wideX10’long will plan like a mother but will be difficult to turn > quickly…If its not too late you might want to deepen the V another > 1/8" Just make sure it flows smoothly from flat to V and back. The V > will loosen the thing up. With those dimensions, I don’t think you have to > worry about slowing the thing down by deepening the V. Keep the rails soft > to the last 18 inches, then harden them up. A lot of this is really > dependent on the rocker; more rocker less V/ less rocker more V.>>> Newbs

Tail rocker, wide point position and rail thickness transition also play a role in how it will ride. The rocker is not as simple as a single dimension - you can have 4" tail rocker with the apex pretty far forward and a relatively flat panel from there back for speed or move the apex back and have a more continuous progressive 4" tail rocker for tighter turns and nose riding although this will be a bit slower. Rail thickness functions along with wide point position to determine how much rail you have in the water. Wide point back/thicker rail behind center will result in less rail in the water when you turn. Trying to take one component of the overall design and analyze how it affects performance is tricky - so many components interact. Throw some fin adjustment in the mix and you can enhance or negate any of the above mentioned variables.

Concave in the nose seems too long but its so shallow you might not > notice. Depending on your rails, this configuration may tend to grab or > track on trim. If you soften the rails it’ll be ok. Seems too long and > shallow for nose riding but that will depend on the rocker…>>> V sounds ok but if it is a single fin, flatten it behind the box to the > tail block. Tri-fin can keep the V to the tail block. 24-inches > wideX10’long will plan like a mother but will be difficult to turn > quickly…If its not too late you might want to deepen the V another > 1/8" Just make sure it flows smoothly from flat to V and back. The V > will loosen the thing up. With those dimensions, I don’t think you have to > worry about slowing the thing down by deepening the V. Keep the rails soft > to the last 18 inches, then harden them up. A lot of this is really > dependent on the rocker; more rocker less V/ less rocker more V.>>> Newbs i made the concave this long for better padling and a smooth ride. The board is made for the small days at the nord sea and mediterranean sea. Not fore quick turning or crazy stuff, just smooth hang loose riding when its small…otherwise i hang in the pub too often, suffering from hangovers the next day. What is the effect of al longer V instead of a deeper??

First off, I agree with John, a surfboard is synergy at its best. It is hard to discuss one aspect without oversimplifying, which is what I did in my first response. To answer you question, however, you need to understand what v does; it increases the rocker along the rail line which will allow the board to turn easier when put on edge. So, deeper v increases the rail rocker more than shallower v and makes turning easier. Longer v changes the shape of the rail rocker which will move the sweet spot around. The longer and deeper the v the more drag you’ll have so you see it is all a balancing act, a compromise everywhere you turn. Since you are looking for a cruiser, you’ve probably got it right with the measurements you’ve given. Newbs