Continuing Onward and Upward

Back to it with the sander later today.  In the meantime here’s a pic of the brother to Mr. T.  

What is your plan?

all the best

Thats the way mate ‘Continuing Onward and Upward’

All the best mate,

Sincerely

Plan??  My plan is to wreak havoc Brother Tate!!

Ok, for the uninitiated (me), can anybody go into more details/stories about the feather light logo under the main logo?

In a single word, MARKETING.      Lighter glassing schedule.     No more double 10 oz, top and bottom, the previous standard.      Now single 8oz bottom, single 8 oz plus deck patch, on the deck.    The boards were lighter, compared to previous standard boards.     Still heavy by later (todays) expectations.

lasaruthian spirit

rise to a new credibility

may you soon sense the vicarious thrill

of mans sensibilites exalted to near weightlessness

on this water planet spinning within inertia from the begining of time

grand father spirit bless this board and he who stewards it

…ambrose…

That’s actually a SuperLight lam. The word “Super” was done with red ink and faded away to nothing. It’s supposed to look like this one.

Ambrose, Dunno how you come up with that lyrical prose but damn it’s interesting to read.

Not sure if it makes me smarter for thinking about it.

or dumber for not knowing what the hell youre talking about,

Love it anyway.

Yes the Red “Super” is long gone.  Still curious about the paper used in those days for lams.  It “haloed”.  The paper was visible and more so with age.  Yes single layer Volan 8 oz. is what most shops switched to.  Surfboard specific cloth was not quite there yet.  The Volan used at the time is basically the same 8oz Volan that can be bought today.  My Missouri St. backyard boards from ‘69-70 we’re glassed with Volan purchased at Mitch’s in La Jolla.

Information for the uninformed.      The paper used by HANSEN and YATER, as well as some others, was referred to as ONION SKIN.      It did not saturate as well as RICE PAPER.      Now you know.

I do remember “Onion Skin”.  It was the paper they used in Carboned invoice books. The bottom sheet.  Volan probably didn’t help hide the paper edge either.  I did Volan over a rice paper lam once, just a football and of course you could see the edge of the football.  Everybody thought it was authentic because of the halo.

This is amazing!

Two “ball pin” dings cleaned up an ready for fill.  Staying away from the pin line as much as possible.

maybe…

Sand the board, the whole board with 80 grit. Back to bare bones(cloth). take the resin line off if need be.

Fix all dings (spray bits if needed etc) Like back to lam stage.

Re-pin line it.

Finnish coat it.

polish it.

restored old beat. nice yeah?

Just do it mate damn

I’d just fix the dings and try to keep the original glass/pin lines there. It’s not beat up enough for a restoration job. Keep them pics coming.

Right.  It’s not bad enough to take it to the weave.  I got enough going on, not going to create more work for myself.  And it won’t make a dimes difference in the value of the board.  

Sanded off the blue paint around the screw.  Thinking about leaving as is

So I am on the road and haven’t had time to do pics etc before I left PC for Calif.  I will tell you that I used Brown Sugar as a filler and it was very close.  I’ll get you a pic after I’ve made my loop to Millennium, Marko and Arctic.  O’side, here I come.  Been looking for Kelly’s Wave Farm this AM as I do I-5.  Here’s a pic of a very  inconsistent spot North of State Line.  This is not the best I’ve seen it and only the 4th time I have seen it rideable after checking it at least 20 or 30 times while traveling South.

Have had several side tracks both Glassing and shaping, but back at this later today.