Cork Rails...

Well I’m at it again… Another hollow…This time I’m using 1/4" sheet cork for the rails…9 layers… Goes on faster than wood… I was able to do both rails in a couple hours!!!..It looks like the cork will shape nicely… I’m thinkin’ that I’lll start off with 36 grit in my belt sander… The cork fin is next!!!.. Paul

Innovation at it’s best. Keep 'em coming Paul!!!

Well I’m at it again… Another hollow…This time I’m using 1/4" > sheet cork for the rails…9 layers… Goes on faster than wood… I was > able to do both rails in a couple hours!!!..It looks like the cork will > shape nicely… I’m thinkin’ that I’lll start off with 36 grit in my belt > sander…>>> The cork fin is next!!!..>>> Paul Way to go Paul.I started this cork string and am glad to see someone actually doing something with the concept…I wish I had more time to play with it.I have a Skil planer with a 36 grit drum in it and it carved the cork like butter.Hand sanding is a bitch but a soft pad on a variable speed grinder worked great to clean up the rough scratches.I used 80 grit. .You build the hollow boards that are works of art.I’m still wanting to build a solid cork blank that could possibly be laminated and chambered like balsa.Here is another idea…cork is pretty much non skid when wet…could we possibly contact cement a thin sheet onto the deck of a standard board and eliminate wax?Or maybe a light coat of wax to eliminate the friggin “rash” problem?Its a lot lighter than traction pads.Nice job Bro.

Well I’m at it again… Another hollow…This time I’m using 1/4" > sheet cork for the rails…9 layers… Goes on faster than wood… I was > able to do both rails in a couple hours!!!..It looks like the cork will > shape nicely… I’m thinkin’ that I’lll start off with 36 grit in my belt > sander…>>> The cork fin is next!!!..>>> Paul rock on!