Crazy hollow carbon balsa kevlar composite fish!!

I got some more work done.

I shaped the foam rail molds. pic surf56

I Then coated the foam with a spackle made of epoxy and microballoons. pic surf57, 58

The epoxy and microballoons will seep into the surface of the foam to make a hard solid surface that can be sanded smooth. This coating will also keep the mold in it’s curved shape. Remember that the foam is mounted on plied balsa which is tacked to the frame. After sanding the rails smooth. The whole piece of foam and the balsa mount will be removed. I will lay wax paper on the bare rails to protect the board and then tack the foam mold back onto the board. with the wax paper in between. Then I will coat the mold with release wax and lay my kevlar on. After it dries I will remove the mold from the board and I should be left with a kevlar shell shaped to fit the frame.

Wow. Quite a process. Looks really well put together thus far.

LOL!

Do you see the post above me?

Waves come?!

Not here my man, not here…

Only when there’s a hurricane off the coast, and then they’re mostly blown out and choppy.

Hence why I stopped surfing to wakeboard, and now, I’m going slightly back to my roots of surfing… I kitesurf.

When there are clean waves, I ride the gulf, anything else, I’m in flatwater baby.

Quote:

Over here, on this side of the planet, modern surfers want and need lightweight boards.

‘Modern’ is such an old fashioned term, not retro, just kind of stale.

We are ‘post modern’ now, which allows us to need and want anything at all !

A fun thread, I’m back to lurking and watching crazy carbon kevlar fish project progress. :slight_smile:

Quote:

A big problem with the r/c airplane hobby is that nobody builds airplane kits anymore. The industry has moved tward pre built almost ready to fly airplanes which need minor assembly to complete. There are only few people building kits these days, and a tiny fraction of those people actually deign and build their own aircraft. So in the end, there is just a few scattered builders without any contact. Its rather unfortunate. Thats where I fall in.

ARF planes suck! I’m a novice compared to you, but I’ve designed and built two planes from scratch. It’s a much more fun experience to turn a flat sheet of balsa into something that flys. Buying an ARF (almost ready to fly) airplane would be like buying a machine shaped surfboard blank where all you had to do was final sand it. There’s no room to try something new.

I finished making the molds for my hollow kevlar rails. I cut them off the board. They came out nice.

Im still waiting for the carbon laminate for the bottom of the board. It should come in next week. After that, I can lay the skins on the frame.

I finished both fins. They still need some tuching up and a clearcoat.

My rails will have a balsa carbon framework with the hollow molded kevlar/carbon shell on top. I need to make stringers for the framework. I have decided to make balsa/carbon stringers. I made 80" long molds to make the stringers. They work by sandwiching strips of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa and carbon tow. The carbon is brushed with thinned epoxy, the balsa and carbon is then squeezed in the mold from top to bottom and side to side. Excess resin is allowed to squeeze out of the seams. Check em out.

Im still waiting on a uni carbon strip for the bottom of the stringer… meanwhile, a buddy of mine dropped off a plane for me to assemble, a 1/4 scale Russian Yak 54 aerobatic plane. This thing is huge!! 81" wingspan and a 27cc engine. It looks something like this.

Where is there to fly those things anyways?

I got my uni-carbon today!!! Now I can start laying on the skins. Im so excited.

I’ve got the plane almost done, here is a pic to put its size in perspective. It takes up most of the space in the shop. What’s really sick is that there are guys out there who consider this a “small” airplane.

Quote:

Where is there to fly those things anyways?

In St. Pete, there is a field called SPARKS on the corner of 275 and Roosevelt. It’s behind the fire station off Roosevelt.

There is another field just north of 686 and alt 19 but I’ve never been there.

I fly up north in Pasco county.

here is the club website

that looks like george bush flying it :slight_smile:

poor little fella… all cooped up in there… heart of a champion…

lpc etc ,

that link to the model aeroplanes is SICK !

The russian jet crashes , INSANE !!

No wonder that guy that nosedived his plane was crying …there must be some MAJOR money tied up in these massive models !

…and, the Russian soundtrack / beer drinking songs ?

they cracked me right up , I tells ya !

thanks mate , that made my day …what a HOOT !

cheers !

ben

I was up there this morning… Had to take my mom to the airport at 5am! :eek:

I’ve gotta arrange some time to head over there and check that out still… School MWF 8-3 Work Tues, Thurs, Sat 9-5… I think I’ll give you a ring on Sunday.

Im gluing on the first layer of the bottom skin. Check out all the epoxy stains in the garage. They’ve been building up for years.

Bump

My only percievable use for Dow blue foam is as a nice surface to lay up some skins.

Im sorry that I’ve been slow with the updates. I had a disaster a few days ago when I pulled the sand-bags off the skin. The sand bags sank into the open rib bays and made big dimples in skin on the bottom of the board as deep as 1/4". It never crossed my mind that the veneer would flex that much. I was lucky that the epoxy wasn’t completely dry and I was able to rip the skin off without doing much damage. I have since glued the skin back on and I put a slice of Dow blue foam between the skin and the sandbags to give more support. The result was much better but not perfect. The deepest dimple was about 1/16" deep after the second attempt. Then I took a 8 sheets of 1/16" x 4" x 48" balsa and layed them up on the bottom of the board with some 3M-77 spray adhesive. Then I sanded the shit out of it with a BIG LONG FLAT sanding block. I am pleased with the results. Now I have a smooth flat bottom. This did not affect the concave at all because that was built into the frame.

I also glued the first layer of skin on the top of the board. I didnt have the dimpling problem because of the extra support from the sub-deck and the domed effect. The top is belted with 2" carbon tape along each rib. It is super strong. I also set up the first hollow kevlar rail. It is drying tonight and I can pop it out of the mold in the morning. Sorry, but I don’t have any pics of the recent progress. I will post them soon.

Check out one of the hollow kevlar rails, fresh out of the mold

just curios how many layers/weight of kevlar used on your rails. As an ex R/C’er i can really aprecciate your work!