creating speed on a single fin shortboard

I was wondering what other people think about the possibility of creating speed (as a thruster does) on a single fin of similar dimensions, specifically on 6’-something, modernish shortboard-type shapes. Lately I have noticed that creating speed in energy laden parts of a wave is possible, rather than letting the board run it’s own course in a trim oriented fashion. What do you guy’s think? p.s. A prominent santa cruz shaper not too long ago told me that, under the right feet, the single fin is capable of higher performance surfing than the thruster!?

I was wondering what other people think about the possibility of creating > speed (as a thruster does) on a single fin of similar dimensions, > specifically on 6’-something, modernish shortboard-type shapes. Lately I > have noticed that creating speed in energy laden parts of a wave is > possible, rather than letting the board run it’s own course in a trim > oriented fashion. What do you guy’s think?>>> p.s. A prominent santa cruz shaper not too long ago told me that, under > the right feet, the single fin is capable of higher performance surfing > than the thruster!? Well your right, I have a 6’6" standard thruster and a 6’5" single and I can generate speed on it no problem. As for high performance surfing I would have to vote no. Especially after seeing the top 46 at Trestles today. What a show, some of the fastest carving snapping and blasting I’ve ever seen. A single fin wouldn’t hold doing the stuff they were pulling. I walked away with a whole new pespective on high performance surfing. I’ve seen the show at Huntington before but it’s not the same as putting these guys in rippable overhead Trestles. They were going nuts.

I was wondering what other people think about the possibility of creating > speed (as a thruster does) on a single fin of similar dimensions, > specifically on 6’-something, modernish shortboard-type shapes. Lately I > have noticed that creating speed in energy laden parts of a wave is > possible, rather than letting the board run it’s own course in a trim > oriented fashion. What do you guy’s think?>>> p.s. A prominent santa cruz shaper not too long ago told me that, under > the right feet, the single fin is capable of higher performance surfing > than the thruster!? Take a look at this video of Rob Machado surfing a short single fin. I think the most important thing with any board is the rider. The single fin and tri fin both have their ups and downs. It basically comes down to what you want to get out of your surfing and most importantly, what feels best to you. Keep experimenting. Keep an open mind. Have fun and don’t let anyone tell you what is and isn’t possible. http://cisurfboards.com/videos/Robs_singlefin.mov

p.s. A prominent santa cruz shaper not too long ago told me that, under > the right feet, the single fin is capable of higher performance surfing > than the thruster!? I still haven’t seen any modern day high performance surfing that surpasses what guys like Buttons, Bertleman, Liddell, etc. were doing in the '70’s on single and twin fin stings. Today’s kiddies blow their wad when Slater attempts a stinkbug switch stance cutback or tube ride. They should have seen what the Ala Mo braddahs were doing back in they day!

Yeah!! Or Jock Sutherland, etc.

Don’t forget Cheyne H. Quickest surfer alive on a single and pushed surfboard design while touring the pro circus. He still swears by McCoy surfboards. Rides probably 65% single/star fin and 35% thrusters. Always an interesting person.

I was wondering what other people think about the possibility of creating > speed (as a thruster does) on a single fin of similar dimensions, > specifically on 6’-something, modernish shortboard-type shapes. Lately I > have noticed that creating speed in energy laden parts of a wave is > possible, rather than letting the board run it’s own course in a trim > oriented fashion. What do you guy’s think? For another slant, you might ask yourself why you need to create speed in energy-laden parts of a wave. Here is where I think the single fin has strength. You have to constantly “surf the board” with a thruster, as opposed to “surfing the wave” with a single fin. The wave itself creates speed as it speeds up and slows down. Trimming a single fin maximizes naturally available wave speed - what more do you need? It won’t bog like a thruster if you don’t work it. Beyond making sections, if you have to go faster than the wave, you’ll be more fulfilled in a motor vehicle. The kicker is current manuevers and vertical turning, which I’d agree pretty much require three fins or more.

to get speed out of a single fin you need to stick it right in the pocket and keep it there. A few tips for those retro hipsters thinking of jumping on the old school bandwagon. how many surfers have enjoyed watching a guy out on a single fins ripping, and then quickly went and grabbed one for themselves, only to discover that all is not as it appears to be…riding a single fin shortboard is a form of surfing that is not suitable to all. this is what attracts it devotees. same as those who chose to ride a 50/50 railed longboard with no edge in the tail. some can, lots try, most cant, and would have much more fun riding a 2+1 or thruster. *surfboards with one fin work best in a long walled down the line point break (re: the michael peterson kirra section in morning of the earth)if you take one out in choppy onshore beachbreak peaks and semi closeouts they will suck. note how he just stands there and moves back and forwards along his board. if you dont notice that you have missed a big point. *single fins sort out the stylish surfer from the non stylish very quikly. a surfer must have stlye to ride a single fin. many who have knowledge only of riding in the thruster generation will embarass themselves trying to hack and chop like they are riding thier 6’2’merrick. although most of these people will think they are kicking it… and will also be most vocal about the merits of a single fin and style. * its all about body positioning and foot placement, 3 fins let people get away with murder, prepare to be humbled with a single fin. try and do a cutback or turn with you feet in the wrong spot and you will go in one direction, the board in the other. it might be better to get a modern board (egg ect) made to suit a single than to take out a original 70’s board out for a surf. ride a 70’s board once and you will see why people stopped riding them and got into 3 fins as soon as they could. its frustrating to watch an old video with the riders abilities held back because of poor designs. the old boards were designed when heaps of the shapers were into drugs and shit. and everyone was still learning about how to make a good board. thankyou and goodnight.

Thanks everyone for your input. The more I surf my single fins of all sizes the more intrigued I am of their capabilities. Being able to surf all different types of boards, long to mid to short, single to twin to thruster, the better my surfing gets and the better I understand and appreciate each board. Thanks again to swaylock and all the people who contribute- connor

to get speed out of a single fin you need to stick it right in the pocket > and keep it there.>>> A few tips for those retro hipsters thinking of jumping on the old school > bandwagon. how many surfers have enjoyed watching a guy out on a single > fins ripping, and then quickly went and grabbed one for themselves, only > to discover that all is not as it appears to be…riding a single fin > shortboard is a form of surfing that is not suitable to all. this is what > attracts it devotees. same as those who chose to ride a 50/50 railed > longboard with no edge in the tail. some can, lots try, most cant, and > would have much more fun riding a 2+1 or thruster.>>> *surfboards with one fin work best in a long walled down the line point > break (re: the michael peterson kirra section in morning of the earth)if > you take one out in choppy onshore beachbreak peaks and semi closeouts > they will suck. note how he just stands there and moves back and forwards > along his board. if you dont notice that you have missed a big point.>>> *single fins sort out the stylish surfer from the non stylish very quikly. > a surfer must have stlye to ride a single fin. many who have knowledge > only of riding in the thruster generation will embarass themselves trying > to hack and chop like they are riding thier 6’2’merrick. although most of > these people will think they are kicking it… and will also be most vocal > about the merits of a single fin and style.>>> * its all about body positioning and foot placement, 3 fins let people get > away with murder, prepare to be humbled with a single fin. try and do a > cutback or turn with you feet in the wrong spot and you will go in one > direction, the board in the other.>>> it might be better to get a modern board (egg ect) made to suit a single > than to take out a original 70’s board out for a surf. ride a 70’s board > once and you will see why people stopped riding them and got into 3 fins > as soon as they could. its frustrating to watch an old video with the > riders abilities held back because of poor designs. the old boards were > designed when heaps of the shapers were into drugs and shit. and everyone > was still learning about how to make a good board.>>> thankyou and goodnight. Wait a minute, what you do here is judge others, I mean Hipsters who wanna jump the old school bandwagon, come on. Its al about how you wanna surf, not every one is looking for the easyest way or does what every one else is doing. If you’re into riding what the pro’s are using, fine, but for some people its the style or glide or moves the romance or/and even the difficulty of the older shapes that keep it interesting. It’s not importand how you think they perform as long as they have a good time, so the only one who can find it suitable or not is the surfer himself. Expres yourself, ride what you wanna ride. Thank you and good night. Peter Rijk.

to get speed out of a single fin you need to stick it right in the pocket > and keep it there.>>> A few tips for those retro hipsters thinking of jumping on the old school > bandwagon. how many surfers have enjoyed watching a guy out on a single > fins ripping, and then quickly went and grabbed one for themselves, only > to discover that all is not as it appears to be…riding a single fin > shortboard is a form of surfing that is not suitable to all. this is what > attracts it devotees. same as those who chose to ride a 50/50 railed > longboard with no edge in the tail. some can, lots try, most cant, and > would have much more fun riding a 2+1 or thruster.>>> *surfboards with one fin work best in a long walled down the line point > break (re: the michael peterson kirra section in morning of the earth)if > you take one out in choppy onshore beachbreak peaks and semi closeouts > they will suck. note how he just stands there and moves back and forwards > along his board. if you dont notice that you have missed a big point.>>> *single fins sort out the stylish surfer from the non stylish very quikly. > a surfer must have stlye to ride a single fin. many who have knowledge > only of riding in the thruster generation will embarass themselves trying > to hack and chop like they are riding thier 6’2’merrick. although most of > these people will think they are kicking it… and will also be most vocal > about the merits of a single fin and style.>>> * its all about body positioning and foot placement, 3 fins let people get > away with murder, prepare to be humbled with a single fin. try and do a > cutback or turn with you feet in the wrong spot and you will go in one > direction, the board in the other.>>> it might be better to get a modern board (egg ect) made to suit a single > than to take out a original 70’s board out for a surf. ride a 70’s board > once and you will see why people stopped riding them and got into 3 fins > as soon as they could. its frustrating to watch an old video with the > riders abilities held back because of poor designs. the old boards were > designed when heaps of the shapers were into drugs and shit. and everyone > was still learning about how to make a good board.>>> thankyou and goodnight. Shapers on drugs…what a concept!

ooohh yeah caught me a big old fish there. hehehe ill stop fishing now. thankyou and goodnight

I still haven’t seen any modern day high performance surfing that > surpasses what guys like Buttons, Bertleman, Liddell, etc. were doing in > the '70’s on single and twin fin stings. Today’s kiddies blow their wad > when Slater attempts a stinkbug switch stance cutback or tube ride. They > should have seen what the Ala Mo braddahs were doing back in they day! What were they doing at bowls back in the day? I know they rip it now, but what was considered a great maneuver back in the 70’s?

What were they doing at bowls back in the day? I know they rip it now, but > what was considered a great maneuver back in the 70’s? Basically they were doing basic ripping stuff like, tube rides, off the lips, cutbacks. The backside pigdog was yet to be invented, laybacks were the preferred method of getting barrelled on the backhand. The floater had yet to be developed, but still the surfing back then was radical.

I was wondering what other people think about the possibility of creating > speed (as a thruster does) on a single fin of similar dimensions, > specifically on 6’-something, modernish shortboard-type shapes. Lately I > have noticed that creating speed in energy laden parts of a wave is > possible, rather than letting the board run it’s own course in a trim > oriented fashion. What do you guy’s think?>>> p.s. A prominent santa cruz shaper not too long ago told me that, under > the right feet, the single fin is capable of higher performance surfing > than the thruster!? Help out this misguided soul, please answer the following, How do thrusters generate speed? Kevin

Help out this misguided soul, please answer the following,>>> How do thrusters generate speed?>>> Kevin I’m sorry, I meant the surfer creating speed on a thruster by pumping rail to rail, compared to a more subtle trimming of a single fin. I have noticed that, along with trim speed, the single fin is also capable of creating speed rail to rail. Something I as a novice am intrigued by; the best of both worlds. I was simply looking for other people’s thoughts- connor

I’m sorry, I meant the surfer creating speed on a thruster by pumping rail > to rail, compared to a more subtle trimming of a single fin. I have > noticed that, along with trim speed, the single fin is also capable of > creating speed rail to rail. Something I as a novice am intrigued by; the > best of both worlds. I was simply looking for other people’s thoughts- > connor Thanks, I hear that a lot but no one seems to explain what they mean by it. I understand your point. I wonder if it has anything to do with the high torque generated by a ‘deeper’ fin, that is the high torque would tend to limit the rail to rail motion, at least make it more difficult. Question: Is there any fin setup which is know to really work best for this type of manuvre? 1, 2, 3, 4 or even 5? I tend to come down on concaves being good for this manuvre, which I view as basically one big continuous low profile highly kanted set of fins. Given that to be the case, then consider mixing a single with a triple concave; the single fin being something with a low aspect ratio (width to height, knife-like.) Kevin

Basically they were doing basic ripping stuff like, tube rides, off the > lips, cutbacks. The backside pigdog was yet to be invented, laybacks were > the preferred method of getting barrelled on the backhand. The floater had > yet to be developed, but still the surfing back then was radical. Yeah but…I forget which movie it was that had Buttons doing a 360 inside the tube. Don’t see that so often.