Criticise my board design

Hello there!
I am thinking about shaping a board for myself for the winter cold.
As all the neoprene is heavy on my paddling i’m thinking a midlength.
I got inspired by Torren Martin, so i’m going for a twin fin.
And i used to surf twin a lot.
My bigges EPS block is 210cm so that’s the longest i can go.
What do you think about my dimensions, and fin position?
Also should i put a center fin just to be able to sell it easier later (as where i live twins are not common) ?
Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like a good board to me :+1:

Maybe you can add a 8" US box in the middle ? Instead of a thruster set up ?

Otherwise all good

Sounds like a good idea, already ordered a base, if i want to surf it twin tho is there a plug for the base or just use some ducktape?
Any recommendations from how far from the tail should i put it?

Looks really good! fun shape. If I’m being hypercritical I’d foil out the 12" to 24" from the nose a bit thinner. I prefer a bit less volume in the nose, I feel like too much forces me to put my front foot to far forward on take-offs to make it go. But may be personal, I’ve never had the comment from people I’ve shaped boards for in any case.
If your planning on putting a single box take into account that side-bites tend to be way further up the board than the twins. So it will either be a single or a twin, but never a 2+1.

3 Likes

I’ve shaped a similar board that is 6’5" x 21 13/16" x 2 5/8", low pinched rails with twins 10" up from tail. I wouldn’t go further up the board than that though. I also toed the fins in to 3" to the side of the nose and cant about 5 degrees. Toe at 4" to the side of the nose might be better. Other than that this board is around 14.5" 1’ from tail. It needs to be surfed from the tail with the back foot placed over the fins or else it will slip out when transitioning in to, or out from a rail turn. My board is wider and shorter though so might not be a problem for your design. If I were you I think I would make the nose narrower at N1’ and a little pointier. In my experience boards with the rounded style nose always comes out rounder than what it looks like in the drawing. The volume up in the last few inches will not help your surfing in any way, in fact it will probably only make the board difficult to dive, add weight in the nose and make it more prone to pearling. I think the rocker looks good but I would get rid of the beaked nose and instead make it as thin as possible in the last 4 - 6" inches towards the nose. Because of the design this board will not noseride, so maybe take away any foam that is not useful. How far forward is your wide point?
Temp 6_5

1 Like

yes, I will ride either as single or twin, not fan of the thurster setup, nor 2+1 :smiley: and i’ll try to thin it out as you and @bramberg suggested!
Thank you for your feedback

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!
When thinning the nose should i take out from the bottom and therefore get more nose rocker, or should i shave it off from the top and make the deck flatter?

I’d say definitely do it by taking away material on the deck side not disturb the rocker (if you are happy with the rocker as is of course). In my opinion, rocker is very important and comes first. Then you make a nice foil by fitting the deck profile to the existing rocker. Personally I’m not a fan of a beaked nose. Sure, it will give the nose more volume but it will be in a place where it’s not needed for the reasons I wrote above. They can look cool though, if you are into that sort of thing.

1 Like

12" and 6" look like they have corners off the fin boxes there