Cross over board? Ideas?

I again.

I have been wanting to design a cross over board. As you all know I’m a skimmer. I want something I can paddle into waves, take into the shore pound and slide up the beach.

Heres the idea in very simple form: double ender { both nose and tail shaped like my skimboard tail } 5’8" - 6’4" thick surffoam, old fish style rocker, fcs plugs just in case I want fins

Where I run into questions is to keep the skimboard hard pointy rail all around or to keep them pointy in the tail and nose, but roll the mid board rails a bit.

Thanks

…you could buy the article advertised in the "not surfing but funny " thread , a big blond affro wig , ride a 70s twin fin , get someone to film it , and call it "feral kingdom " …

"crossover, double enders, leather pants …

…mate …

gay…er…sorry …"sway"locks is sure in full swing nowadays !!

And it goes well with the “rough vs. smooth, which bottom is better” thread. Mike

Quote:

…you could buy the article advertised in the "not surfing but funny " thread , a big blond affro wig , ride a 70s twin fin , get someone to film it , and call it "feral kingdom " … "crossover, double enders, leather pants …

…mate … gay…er…sorry …"sway"locks is sure in full swing nowadays !!

I have no idea why he would be so butt headed and waste his time to reply and not give helpful information… More so to make fun or joke of someones idea.

I have yet to find anything about hard edges over the complete board.

Quote:
Quote:

…you could buy the article advertised in the "not surfing but funny " thread , a big blond affro wig , ride a 70s twin fin , get someone to film it , and call it "feral kingdom " … "crossover, double enders, leather pants …

" I have no idea why …"

haha 

once in a while ....... I don't give helpful advice  

once in a while , I ......
Quote:
Quote:

" I have no idea why …"

haha

once in a while … I don’t give helpful advice

once in a while , I would rather jerk people off instead of keeping a thread clean and open for people that aren’t lube handed.

It’s my way to lighten up …make the world a better place

and you call my idea gay, PUTAZO!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

SO, out of 150 views all I can get is a jackass jerking me off. None of you have views on performance differences between hveing all hard rails all the way around the board verse hard rails at the tips?

I have searched but no good info…

Hi Dave

The main problem for most is they don't skim.I remember trying to stand on my Victoria 

skimmer as kid in the waves here in Sfla.Most fun was body boarding with it.I like the idea and feel you should just jump out there and make a 5’0-5’8 prototype and see where it leads.Maybe a micro version of a finless boards bottom?Like Carl Olsen’s board in the archive.

jeff

Thanks Jeff, Stnding up on my skimmer in the line up is what I dream of doing. Problem is I weigh 190 and over 6’ tall. A 54" 3/4" foam board will not allow me to paddle in. Smaller guys I know do it with easy…

I’m just wondering how from a surf related point of view {finned} how does the two differ…

Howzit?!? As you probably know, hard edges release the fastest. I shape hard edges all the way around my fish types. The trick is to adjust the tuck-under through the wide point zone so you can still keep control from your rail shape. It’s possible to shape a full round rail and still keep that edge hard underneath. You could possibly even use a beveled (chamfered) rail in some areas of your outline. Make sense? Aloha…RH

Width= planing surface. Aloha…RH

Hi Dave

Been thinking over your design and reading the thread from Dr Strange on his edge board currently on the page.There are some great techniques for getting into waves using a low flotation spoon type kneeboard.A worthy read that my inspire some cross pollenation.Good luck and keep us all posted. 

jeff

Lighten up Mr.Skimmer ,

Chip is a nice guy , maybe he throws in a bad joke once and a while.

We all need to smile more.

Ray

i have a suggestion

22 wide double ender

3 inch nose rocker 1 and half tail

have the rocker flatish in the middle

5 ft 5 long

2 inches thick concaved deck out to 1 .7

1 inch thin hard rails… all the way hard. not much tuck

at least 15 inches wide than narrow quickly to a rounded pin.

i like hard rails all the way ive built a board with hard rails and it works fine

how does that sound

oh and smooth bottom;)

by the way in aussie we just got a different sense of humour

its a pretty common joke ive heard over and over again since primary school

innuendo is kinda like a national pastime

just like yanks/seppos talk to loud

I like the idea. What I’m playing with right now is a 17" tail that my skimmer sports, but it’s only 20.75 wide. So some adjusting is needed. With 1" rail it would be quite crowned. Are you talking 1" in the tail and nose, but then nice and full in the belly?

Blank ideas?

Thanks Dave…

Quote:
I have been wanting to design a cross over board. As you all know I'm a skimmer. I want something I can paddle into waves, take into the shore pound and slide up the beach.

Sounds like you just need a finless surfboard. So to make up for the lack of fins, make the rails in the tail area thin and knifey. Everything else can be just like a surfboard.

that seams easy enough, but I want to be able to slide the board around and ride switch. This requires the nose rail to be tuned like the tail. No surfboard I’ve see has that…

Kinda wondering about the effects. I know it works on a 54" board but what about a 72" board.

how about even nose and tail rocker it makes sense if ya wanna ride fakie

say 2 and half inches

that would probs be okay to paddle in still( just a bit tricky on freefall steep drops)

think long and hard about the rocker i reckon because that will make or break it.

i used to be able to stand up and ride a mach 7 boogie when i was about 15

it didnt have any fins and i could carve off the top on it

cant do it now though

but i reckon i could on a 5 to 5 5 ft board

i would keep the rail thickness 1 inch in the middle out to about 1/2 inch nose and tail keep the width in the nose and tail anywhere from 15 to 17 inches

and as wide as you like in the middle say 21 to 24

keep the outline symmetrical with wide point centre its fine to have hard edges all the way to the nose.

do it in 2 # EPS with 4mm balsa skins 10 mm wide perimeter stringers

triple 4oz glass on the out side

2 oz under the balsa skin

and the board thickness i posted above

if i could skim and wanted to make a crossover board i would be heading in this direction with a fin system if i wanbted to take it surfing

i dunno though cause ive never made one

but if ya want it to feel lke a skimboard youy want it as thin as .

so you need to compensate with width and a eps for more float if ya wanna paddle it

anyone else?? cause im just guessing really

I know some sailboards have spring loaded kick-up skegs, It might be too much in the way of moving parts. It’d be nice to have a fin though, and still be able to take it right up onto the beach to skim. It would drag on the sand unless it was made so it would comeup all the way as soon as it touched the bottom, which could be done with some springs and a catch, so the spring would pull it up when it was tripped by hitting bottom. On a thin board like you are thinking of, the device would definately protrude from the deck a little, but you could probably build a foam hump up around that area. You’d also want to find a way yto make the whole apparatus removeable so you could take it out if you just wanted to skim.

Other skimmers have ried to make a spring fin on skimboards. Sand and other issues stopped it for working well.

Understand that I have no wants to start out on the sand with this board. If I want to skim, I skim. I have my main board, two older boards, and a exact copy of my main board on order. I would make my own but this design and rocker works to well.

This board is like I named it a crossover board. You would have to see how my local break works. It can hold a 4-6’ break 30’ off the rocks and line straight into a 4’ shorepound close out. Sometimes that shorepound is very easy to skim, but other days you have to stand there and watch or go surfing.

I personaly enjoy the taking on the shorepound. My back just healed from being drug over my LB’s fin on one that went very bad. My nose still has sand in it from todays 3 hour skim session.

I just want to see if it can be done and if it will work for me. I don’t really get along with trifin boards. They’re so easy to turn. You have to make a skimboard turn with it’s rail only, it’s very on purpose. {easy to spot a surfer tring to skim, they are always sliding out when they try to turn} My log, the same deal you’re not gonna toss it into a turn with out thinking about it. To be honest, learning the turn on my longboard has really helped with skimming. Can carve it, snap it on a dime, s-turn from wrap to line, skink the nose/whip the tail a round/dig rail and go fakie. God I love skimming.

All in all, I need a shortboard to surf. I need it to float me, paddle, and catch waves. Why not try something new? I do like the feedback…Thanks