Crystalized / Granualr epoxy resin is still useable

short version:
If you heat granulated epoxy resin, the granulation will disappear. It’s just like when honey crystallizes and is reheated. It will kick like normal.

Long version:
6 months after building my first board, I started a second one, intending to use the remainder of a gallon and a half of Resin Research epoxy. When I pulled the resin out of my closet, where it had remained at a constant 65 F - 71 degrees F, it seemed almost solid and no longer transparent. I squeezed the bottom of the jug and it seemed to loosen up a bit. I was concerned that it was no longer good. Having only spent $18 on the foam I built my new board with, I decided to go ahead and use it to glass the board with, win or lose since the upfront cost was small. I started by mixing it up some with a wooden paint stir-stick and it no longer seemed quite as solid as it initially did. I mixed up a batch and glassed the bottom of the board, some of the resin being still a bit grainy. It seemed to kick a little bit slower than I thought it should but I glassed both sides with less than ideal results. To speed up the hardening when I did the hot-coat, I placed a heater in my workspace, facing the board. I noticed where the heater was blowing on the board, the granulation was disappearing completely. I got out my heat gun and gently heated the rest of the board and, voila…it smoothed out like, well…glass. The first hot-coat seemed to harden perfectly. I’ll keep you posted on the end game with the opposing hot-coat.

I’m really disappointed that Resin Research makes no mention of granulation/crystallization of the epoxy resin or what to do about it. They say the shelf-life is at least 12 months and I guess this may be a storage issue and not a shelf-life issue per se.

I’m hoping some of you can indicate what storage conditions you keep resin at and if you’ve experienced granulation. I read a thread here on Swaylocks and the guy said he just threw out the resin assuming it was useless.

I kept my kwik kick epoxy in the basement during the winter. The temperature was about 50 degrees F during winter. When I was gonna repair my surfboard recently the whole epoxy-bottle was solid, and the epoxy was white. I just placed the bottle in a hot water-bath, and it started to turn blue and moveable again. I thought it was supposed to be almost “endless” shelflife?

Other brand of epoxy resin will do this too. Lab temps for epoxy are in the 70’s F or low 20’s C so storage and use below this can be problematic. I had a gallon go lumpy and called the maufacturer. It was suggested a warm water bath like 140 F for a couple hours. The resin loosened right up and no issues months later.

Had a 55 gallon drum of RR that had about 8+ gallons of solid sediment in it when I split the drum for recycle. Came over in the winter on a ship and I think it happened then. Used it up in 4 months and don’t recall any problems with all the stuff we used it for. It certainly explained the extra gallons of hardener we had. Was the best epoxy around in those days and worked well. All the advice on warming it up should get the job done. I have used very old 2:1 epoxy before with good results. I have accidentally mixed Fiberglass Hawaii epoxy resin and RR hardener with no problems also.

Microwaving frozen epoxy vid : https://youtu.be/hEKBpkR_1Zs

I occasionally have to reconstitute Epoxy. The simplest method for me is the Crock Pot. Set the gal. In the pot, pour in a good amount of water. Loosen the lid on the gal. Set the Crock Pot to low. Come back an hour or two later and it’s done.

happens to everyone.
i leave ours in the sun on the back of the truck with the cap loosened.

RR does it the most. {in my experience}
make sure you, stir, roll, shake etc… the shit out of it to get the brighteners and stuff mixed back in.

Crock pot, great tip Lowel. Thanks heaps.