Curing time

as a general rule

what is a decent amount of time to wait on riding a newly shaped board?

my understanding is that resin properties are similar to concrete.

i can finger dent the board now and it has a fairly strong glass job.

will it cure harder to prevent damage?

thanks

For me, if it’s ready to sand, it’s ready to ride…

ps. ( don’t press your finger into the board )

and does epoxy , if it takes longer to cure than polyester , cure “HARDER” , so it can be ridden sooner ?

I’ve heard some [polyester] glassers recommend waiting two weeks with polyester before riding it …compared to how long with epoxy ?

[ “Hicksy” gloss coated the moonrocket [with epoxy] on saturday afternoon [arvo] , we rode it 10.30am sunday morning. And he informs me , it now has dents / compressions in the deck …

ben

“Hicksy” gloss coated the moonrocket [with epoxy] on saturday afternoon [arvo] , we rode it 10.30am sunday morning. And he informs me , it now has dents / compressions in the deck …

How hot was it? Why I ask is because its will be 36 hours since I glossed the bottom and I want to take it out.

Soft blank, no cracks. The gloss on the hull is still OK.

Slowly building character.

Howzit Chip, Al Merrick use to put a sticker on his boards telling you to let the board cure for 3 weeks. I don’t think I know anybody who could look at their new board for 3 weeks before riding it. The way I see it is 2-3 weeks from the day the board is lammed should be enough and since it takes a while for the rest of the process just ride it. Aloha,Kokua

Take it out NOW!!!

It was only 24 deg C that day

According to Pedro Vasquez a few years back, while he was still in Hawaii (yes, I know, more than a few years). A few hours at 120F or so should do it for an epoxy board. Too hot (seemed to happen around 140 w/the resins we were using then), and the resin will soften again. I used to use a sauna for this purpose. I’d set the temp, go for a swim, go upstairs for lunch, another swim and a nap by the pool. That was a few hours gone, at least.

I think a month makes a nice difference w/polyester, but I ususally ride them the afternoon they were glassed. Officially, I tell people to wait at least 2 weeks.