Current planers

Anyone have suggestions for current planers on the market? I searched the archives and alot of discussion from early 2000s (try and find a skil 100) and some from 2010s (try and find a modified hitachi). Not many of those around and I wouldn’t know how to repair them.

Looking for new suggestions. Saw the modified makita through foamez. Seemed a solid option to me. Thoughts?

The answer depends on how much shaping you do or plan to do. I have 3 Skil 100s, a Porter Cable and a modified Hitachi and its been a year since I mowed foam. LOL!!! If I were a complete beginner I’d buy a Wen that can be had for as little as $30. If you’re an intermediate making less than 10 boards a year I’d suggest buying a battery operated planer from Makita or Dewalt and doing some minor mods to make it foam friendly. If you’re really into it you still can’t beat a Skil or a fully modified planer.

1 Like

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-20-Volt-Max-Brushless-Cordless-3-1-4-in-Hand-Planer-with-4-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-Charger-20653/319526638?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AfmBOor2SfNtyM2myFB6NcTCHcrtVBETdSBAxizv_fwxAcj-u5aQF3T0I68#overlay

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20V-MAX-XR-Cordless-Brushless-3-1-4-in-Planer-Tool-Only-DCP580B/206936914

Thanks Mako, appreciate the feedback. Ive been using same cheapo harbor freight since 2009. Lately I just do all by hand, but that planer is done. I only do a couple boards(1-3) a year for friends, family, myself; so very low production. I really only use the planer for taking down thickness and foiling the bottom. Rest I like to do with hand tools, try to do as much by hand as possible, keep the old school craft alive.

I recently had shoulder surgery so using this time off to upgrade some equipment. I did not think of cordless. I see one website has a modified makita cordless similar to the link you sent.

The modified makita i was looking at; i was hoping to be a buy once cry once and last me 20-25 years scenario. I dont mind spending more for quality and getting the right tool.

• Buy a used stock hitachi (50/100€ in Europe)
  • Print a front knob (1/2€ if you have a printer)
  • Change the threaded rod of the shoe by a cnc machine high thread rod (25€+)
  • Grind the angles of the shoe and epoxy the slot on the bottom to make it flat (1€ of epoxy maybe)

At this point you already have a pretty decent planer for 100 bucks :grinning:

If you feel like it there’s a full tutorial on youtube

1 Like

You should be able to find a decent Skil 100 for under $700 (eBay). It’s tough to kill one, the Skill 100s run for ever with basic maintenance. There are enough shapers using them… can’t imagine those parts ever going obsolete.

If you are looking for a fast & low-cost replacement, I think @mako224 was on the right track with the Wen recommendation but sent a link to the wrong model. You would want to get the Wen 6530 (currently $42 on Amazon). Here is an older video of Matt Kinoshita shaping with this stock Wen, and also saw something else he posted recently still praising the design of the stock Wen.

shapersupply.com

Thanks for the tips and advice. I decided on the makita kp0810, stock unit. Unmodified it will do more than I need.

The stock handle on that planer is already pretty good. It has a low center-of-gravity and a locking trigger.

You may want to see if you can get just the front knob modification at some point.

Agree w/ Mako. I started on a Wen, I think I paid about $40 on Amazon. Softened the shoe edges with sandpaper, removed the little kickstand on the back and the little sheet metal spring-held guard on the side of the blade that would drag on the foam, and it was good to go!

I have several Skil’s now and still sometimes go back to the Wen. Plenty of power, short, compact body, and a smooth motor. Don’t overthink it, especially at the beginning. Learn as much about technique as possible, which particular planer you use is less important.

Thanks for all the feedback. Keeping it stock. Just got to figure out how to get that little spring loaded “nub” kickstand off the back.