Custom board fail deal resolution/epoxy hot coat problem

Hey all - I haven’t been around here for a while but always appreciated the good info that people freely share here, so I thought I might run an “issue” by you all and see what comes back. I recently ordered a custom board from a local shaper (my first custom board in almost 30 years that I didn’t shape myself) and it - while it is a nice shape - it came back from the (epoxy) glasser with a milky/opaque bottom that looks worse than any of my worst self-glassed boards (brush marks, sand marks, etc.). Beyond my concerns over the fact that no one seems to know why it is so bad (moisture, low temps during glassing? wrong ratio on mix and sanding too early?) …or be taking responsibility for it being so bad…, I’m a bit conflicted on how to resolve the “deal” over the board. The board was bought for me as a present for my 50th birthday and was supposed to be an heirloom/keeper kind of board. Frankly, the whole thing is a giant bummer now and I’ll never ride it…and to make matters worse, the person who bought it for me laid out 1200$ up front for it…Any thoughts on how to resolve this conundrum? Given the small town social dynamics, this needs to be resolved diplomatically if possible. Thanks for any input y’all might have.

I would try the nice conversation approach first. Back when I was shaping and glassing for others, I occasionally blew a board or a glass job, and I always thought it was on me to fix it or to build a new one.
Of course, when funds were tight, that was a bummer, but the board in question could always be sold for at least material costs, and the last thing I wanted was a justifiably unsatisfied customer. For something minor, I’d offer a fix or a discount, for something bigger I’d always offer a replacement shape.
At any rate, stay calm and very polite, state that you know board building and you go that things go wacky sometimes, and ask what they will do to resolve the problem. If they balk, explain why it is unacceptable by industry standards, and only if that fails, ask them what they expect you to do. Have it come from their mouth if possible… it can help one to see where the responsibility lies.
Good luck with this. I’ve had a very few experiences, with glassers and a blank manufacturer, where someone simply flat out refused to do anything to make a bad situation right, but it is pretty rare if handled delicately. Good luck.

From what you said it sounds as if your shaper sent the blank out to be glassed , if that is the case and if the board is as fucked up as you say , then clearly the shaper should not have accepted the glass job in the first place , he should not have dumped the problem in your lap , if the shaper was the person who got paid $1200 , tell the shaper to sort it out .

this post needs pics, how bad can it really be??? like this?

next step

final hide and saved original logo and leash plug. Green Room epoxy coming through again in the hands of an amateur.

Great work on saving the Bear.
But on a brand new board, that the shaper knew was for a 50th? No way that a cover job would be acceptable.
I’ve had a few boards with something “off” from shapers and glassers, and if its a wavy pinline or a slopping plug install, okay fine we can talk and no biggie.
But if the glass job is really bad? Agreed that photos would help. Sanding wheelies or brush marks can be handled, but the opaque milkiness (probably humidity or old epoxy) won’t go away. I had to eat one like that years ago, and with a 3" chambered balsa stringer to boot…

Come now. a failed epoxy hot coat? No such thing as an epoxy hot coat, but if it is the final coat that is the problem it can be completely sanded off and redone. LETS SEE SOME PICS OF THE PROBLEM!!! Better advice could be given. Take it to someone who can fix it. Pay the 200-300 dollars and take it off the 1200 dollar bill. As far as the money and business part of the situation, why is a surfboard shaper and glasser not held to a minimum standard of quality and backing their work like any other business of any sort?
pictures,pictures,pictures,pictures. I glass with my green room resin in 100% humidity with no problems. I have used 6 year old fiberglass hawaii aluzine with great success. I am pretty sure most mistakes with any epoxy system is user error period(with three fingers pointing back at me). did i mention how about some pics?

My bad…hot coat is sloppy jargon. Of course I meant final coat. I have glassed with Resin research in the backyard in mid winter with 55 degree temps and high moisture and still had things work out well. I don’t know what could have happened and am surprised that someone with that lack of skill finds work professionally. No, I don’t have pics…sorry. The board viewing was so depressing that I mostly wanted to get out of there and think about what to do next. Good tip on getting someone else to fix it. Of course, I’m thinking that may lead to other problems…not to mention more weight.

Exactly…cover job is great for an old Bear…not in this case, however. When I think about this board, I want to put it out in the driveway and drive over it. Not exactly the feeling that will lead to confident, big carves on 2xOH waves like I’d hoped…

PICS,PICS,PICS. Take some prozac and send PICS. How about a 8 oz added weight tint??? What weight foam, what glassing schedule??? Sounds like you are worried about weight. Send me your board and I will replicate it with a memorable special birthday custom board with same dimensions. PM for address for shipping. Even trade. Shitty board trade for family heirloom lighter and stronger. How does it surf. Could be magic.

Without pics, you are just whining on the internet.
Nobody can tell you accurately what to do or way to solve it without seeing the problem.
So cover the logo and post it.