Custom for Tony

6’5" x 20" x 2 7/8" thruster with my G-10 fins.

Greg, beautiful. Love the outline.

Question, though. I’ve noticed on your 5 fins that the back fin seems to be set nearly in line with the back fins. Can you talk about this and while your at it, talk about why the back side fins are placed so far out to the rail. Could be the photo, but that’s what it looks like to me. Many thanks.

How are the fins foiled?

And where is the thruster cluster positioned?

How do you choose between making a customer a thruster or convincing him or her that 5 would be better? Or do you know Tony well enough that you agree 3 is better?

Are there rocker differences between the two?

Well the thruster cluster is on the bottom

And the foil is on the side

Don’t get pissed i am joking , The foil is flat on the inside , no 20-80 stuff

These are at 10.75 and 3.25 1 1/8’ from the rail and 1/4" toe in in 4 1/2"

As i have said to you before most of my fin design is in how i arrange the fin area “Template” that includes width changes and rake to create as smooth a power gathering and releasing fin as possible.

…well, I dig that fin template

the color is very good too

so, seems that you have been using that template (G10 like you said) in all of your boards, isnt it?

I use about 4 different types of fin “areas” (templates) for 6´6´´ - under (thrusters) , and change the foil, thickness (flexibility); depends on the board design (position, cant, toein too)

thanks for posting Greg !

always good to see photos of [yours , and others] boards at Swaylocks !

cheers

ben

In this section these pictures show much more.

Here are some of 20 years worth of templates using the same design concept.

Are there any exotic lay-ups in there…???..or is it all fiberglass / poly…???..

…well, I assumed for your pictures, that you use the same template…

I dont see most of those templates in the boards pict that you posted…

thanks

All the greenish fins are G-10 and the rest are Poly Fiberglass

All the research is in the sizing and placement

If i had large runs of a model i could start playing with layups

I like really stiff fins using the template to release the energy rather than flex compensating for what i beleive to be a badly designed template and i am happy with the G-10 and happier with FR-4

FR-4 is G-10 with flame retardant added.

Both should be very close in properties to a high modulus epoxy with a glass layup, as that is all they are.

Thats great and i am aware of this.

The panels of FR-4 i get say FR-4 G-10

It is slightly easier to foil and flexes a tiny bit more

Quote:

The foil is flat on the inside , no 20-80 stuff

These are at 10.75 and 3.25 1 1/8’ from the rail and 1/4" toe in in 4 1/2"

As i have said to you before most of my fin design is in how i arrange the fin area “Template” that includes width changes and rake to create as smooth a power gathering and releasing fin as possible.

How much does Tony weigh?

I see placed the side fins at 1 1/8 off the rail, could you discuss the issues of moving to 1 1/4 off the rail, or also closer to the rail? How much does one need to consider fin size here? I know the tail width is a consideration, especially at the narrow end of the spectrum

HI Greg. Thanks for posting your boards. They are inspirational.

Would it be too much to ask if you could put the rider’s height and weight along with the board dims? I’d ask for experience and intended use too but that might be asking too much. At least the rider’s size would help a lot in understanding how you’re scaling the boards and their volume.

Thanks again for sharing your work.

Trying to respond to both replies, I use moderate rocker and side fins at 1 1/8" is far enough in to let you press on the rail in a turn without to much resistance. With more rocker closer to the rail would still allow this . At 1 1/4" from the rail the fin starts to lose its effectiveness and feels soft and not crisp and lively.

Each customer has a certin volume they are used to no matter what size they are and i work from there with them.

As always, love to see your work product Greg.

Thanks for the general feedback too.

Cheers

Are your shapes all true “hand shapes” or is there computer assistance…???..

Wow you make some very pretty boards.

I have yet to see one that everything did not flow just right, very pleasing to look at them.

What blanks are you using?

…I add also if do you glass and finish your boards?

because when you say G10 made for you

I understand the cut and the foiling or is it possible to do a G10 panel? I guess isnt homemade possible…