Custom water transfer decal printing?

Anyone know of a good resource for this? Thanks in advance.

Kirk

Very interesting. I was not aware of this process. A couple weeks back I posted about some production boards I’d seen with super sharp graphics that to my eye did not look like they had been done on rice paper. I bet this is the trick. With a little bit of searching I came across this clear paper that can be run in any laser printer to create your own water slide graphics. That’s why I like this site. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Blinggasm-Waterslide-Sheets-Printer-PRINTER/dp/B00ZLVF698

The mid 50’s, Velzy&Jacobs, 1960 Velzy, and 1962 Thrailkill Red Dot, were all water slide decals. They were printed on very thin card stock, that were cut out, and lammed under the glass on surfboards. I still have some of those 55 yr old Red Dot decals, that I put on very special boards. Water slide decals have been around, for quite a while.

Edit: The method of ‘‘printing’’ on the very thin card stock, was by silk screen.

…hello Mako224, the fact is that those logotypes mostly are done with silk screen tints; that s the main difference. Never ever those ratty laser jet etc Black (grey) colors
The ricer paper is mostly “seda” paper; like the rolling cigarette paper but a bit more thickness; so is similar to rice paper and more closer to a production rice paper.

http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterslide%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20media.html
Papillo has some great waterslide decal paper and some nice white vinyl paper that you can make stickers with. It works with inkjet printers, you just have to spray em with clear coat.

The ones I am talking about I don’t think are silk screened either. Extremely sharp detail and no signs of rice paper.

…may be you can post a photo about its. I do not think that you can obtain better definition with printer inks no matter the substrate.
What paper do you see or use that show? I do not see any showing with the papers that I mentioned ¿?
I compared my boards with all the others in the surf shop and there are no any more Black or defined. In some cheap brands (or hipster retro brands/boards) I see that the Black and paper is printer quality and water based (water based is not good)
You need epoxy tints.

…well, the JS that I see are done in the way (technique and tints) that I mentioned and look like that (like mine too) But may be you saw something different…

My son recently got a JS like the one above and that’s what got me looking at the lams. Sharpeye is another one that I have noticed these super sharp lams on. They are a step above what I am seeing on other production boards. They almost look like they are painted on the board post glassing. I don’t think they are even under the cloth. If anything they are under a layer of 2 oz. on top of the laminated board before the hotcoat. Also usually if you look real close in good light you can see the edges of the rice paper. I don’t see anything with these…and they have the appearance of being out on the surface instead of under the cloth.

Looks like sharpeye logos are printed by boardlams. They have the ability to print white background and color on top for sharper images.

Nope silkscreened lams and standard lam job on Sharp Eyes. See them being done all the time.

…hi Mako224, I remember several threads about logotypes and always all here talks, give advice etc about home made or printer ink logotypes; then I always mentioned what are the tints and process; however nobody listened.
You never ever see a transparent paper like the one I mentioned; you have other Black and crisper color.

They do these for the wierd random low run colors

Don’t quite understand your wording.

…I tried to say that what you see in these other boards is the way to go, the way (tips) that I mentioned several times before, but all here were inclined to use the printers, inks and low quality paper. Nobody listened (to turtle) about what tints, what technique, what paper.

This thread officially derailed. Thanks all! :wink:

Kirk

Good news is, you got your answer! :smiley:

Oh wait, maybe not. Did you want someone to print them for you? These guys are good:
http://www.decalconnection.com/