Cut laps...pics please

Hi everyone

I’m gonna do my first cut lap soon and have been reading all over about it and what I should do. I was wondering if anyone out there had any pictures of them actually doing it? Anything from taping to actually cutting. Anything would help. I’m a visual learner.

Thanks

Kevin

here’s a pic after i’ve laid tape, before glassing…

…don’t have any cutting pix. if memory serves, Austin has a video of it on his site…search the archives for the post where he revealed its location.

I believe this is the link: http://www.austinsurfboards.com/laps.wmv

We don’t have one yet that actually shows us cutting the laps but hopefully we will have one soon.

Troy

what other movies does austin have hidden on that site? i’ve seen the retroswirl movie and now the cutlaps…any others?

I have a complete series of photos that I can post later (have to size them down and pic out a good set)

I’ll try to post tomorrow after work

Quote:

what other movies does austin have hidden on that site? i’ve seen the retroswirl movie and now the cutlaps…any others?

there’s another one of the “mexican blanket pour”

Quote:

Hi everyone

I’m gonna do my first cut lap soon and have been reading all over about it and what I should do. I was wondering if anyone out there had any pictures of them actually doing it? Anything from taping to actually cutting. Anything would help. I’m a visual learner.

Thanks

Kevin

I’ve done two boards now and did cutlaps on both boards. I’ve included two pictures. One is the blank taped/masked, just before cutting the lap and the other is minutes later after I cut the lap.

The only words of advice I can provide are (1) it’s not nearly as difficult as you might think, (2) cut all the way through the cloth, even going into the foam [unless, of course you cut lap is ontop of glass], and (3) don’t cut too early, wait until the rails have become quite gummy. Cutting too early will cause your cloth to shift and possibly lift.

I like to use UV resin with 3/4% catalyst. I can get the main surface to get quite hard out in the sun while the rails stay much softer. Works great for me. Good luck!

Many thanks for that pic gunkie. It looks as if you nailed it. I’m

trying to figure out exactly how you cut the glass while pulling the

tape. It seems like it’ll be difficult to cut the glass and pull the

tape even though the tape is actually under the glass. Am I right?

cut with a utility knife…pull tape just behind your cut.

the master glasser vid’s taught me a lot and well worth the investment. i’m no expert but here’s the general jist.

basically don’t worry about cutting into the foam just don’t go too deep it will fill in with resin later (top lap / glassing the bottom first) … take your razor blade and cut along your tape line … pull the tape towards the middle of the board. don’t pull straight up as you may pull the lap up off the foam.

for the bottom lap, make a small incision with your razor blade try not to cut into the bottom glass very much and hold your razor sideways as if you’re sliding along the bottom the the board on its side towards you walking backwards. pull the tape towards the middle as before. hope that made sense.

That certainly helps.

Thanks

looks like you have already done your cut lap, but here are the pics I have anyhow.

I thought I had laying down the tape as well but I guess my photographer was not there for that step.

Like Austin video says, start with 1/4" tape for the first run. You want to do it in long runs just guiding it down with your hand, else you end up with turns all over the place.

cont…

about 2.5hrs later with RR epoxy using the slow hardner

(wait till resin is hard but don’t wait till dry)

What is that tool in your hand and how can i build one!!!

cont…

also missing is the pic of pulling the tape. pull the tape and paper off as a whole so as not to drop/rub against the foam.

when you pull the tape pull at an angle towards the stringer. if you pull up you may pull your lap up with any spots not cut clean through.

no harm in cutting deep on the first cutlap. if you are cutting both laps then you need to do the second cut at an angle instead of into the board.

let-er-rip

thanks heaps , 4est , for that sequence …I’m more a visual learner too , so I found that VERY helpful !

ben

Quote:

What is that tool in your hand and how can i build one!!!

I saw your PM before your post so I replied to your by PM. Can you paste my reply back into this thread for others to read as well.

Quote:

…I’m trying to figure out exactly how you cut the glass while pulling the tape. It seems like it’ll be difficult to cut the glass and pull the tape even though the tape is actually under the glass. Am I right?

I also learnt from the Master Glasser DVD where Roger cuts the whole board then goes back to pull the tape. I did the same and it was easy. another trick if you are cut lapping both sides is to bend your ravor blade at 90deg when cutting the second side so the blade is sideways as you lift the excess lap slightly.

Sorry if this seems obvious but why do a cutlap on the bottom rather than a free lap? Or is it used if you’ve coloured the top deck rather than the bottom?