cutting fcs tabs

" And please, lose the 'carbide grit saber saw blade'- they are really made for cutting tile, coarsely, and no more than that. "

....g a s p !

shock

horror

....I've been doing it 'wrong ' for the last decade or more then , doc ? ('chuckling' , in bewilderedmentness  ... :)    )

[mind you , is a 'sabre saw' the same thing as a jigsaw ? ....I never know with you guys having difficult / different names for stuff we have down under ...no , i'm not talking about what is below the belt , either...australia , guys , austraaaaliaaaah !]

certainly one slip with the thick 'CARBORUNDUM' blade, in the past , and ...'re-templating time ' , here we go ... ha

[might be one of the reasons I like smaller fins , eh , 'Doc' ? :)  .....I miss our mad 'skype' chats , by the way , mate !]

cheers !

ben

I had similar issues in making mine. I ending up doing what others have mentioned and used a file to fine-tune the size of the tabs and the width between them.

[img_assist|nid=1068179|title=wood FCS fins with tabs cut out|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

[img_assist|nid=1068177|title=Wood FCS fins|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

If I were doing it I would cut the tabs first while the material is still a square using a table saw or if I was using wood I would use a Mortise & Chizzel bit like the one pictured below.

Hi doc,that jig is the exact idea I was talking about. The grit blade they are talking about is a jigsaw blade with a coarse sandpaper like edge I believe. I use one and it is great for a rough cutout.

Don’t feel to bad these are from a fin guru.

Goodness gracious!

If you cut tabs by hand:-

Scribe lines with the aid of a steel ruler and a square. Ditch the fat marker lines.

Use a rigid vice/fin holding device and not a wobbly thing.

Cut where you can get to with a well tensioned hacksaw with 24tpi blade. Learn to be accurate. Metal blade blunts but lasts well enough.

If you need to use a jigsaw to rapidly get rid of excess then try to only use straight cuts. The blade angles outwards when you cut in a curve. Better to use a bandsaw if you have one.

Get the biggest file that fits within the tabs. I use a 14 inch Stubbs England 2nd cut as I do 4wfs but it is too wide to get between fcs tabs. Learn to use it. Even on g10 only a few passes with the file are needed provided the hacksaw cuts are accurate.

Look at what you are doing from several different angles as its easy to work to a line and have the cut plane at the wrong angle.

Mark

thanks guys - some good stuff there

the bottom of the tabs , where they sit in the fcs plugs , flush ?

an overlooked factor ...

if they are not square [ ie: as Mark shared , there may be a slight ANGLE on them ...]

yes , THAT can cause headaches , when the fins are put in the plugs !

....."  P R O B O X  " , anyone ?

[ no , I am not a dealer ! And , I  don't represent them in any way ...I just like one long tab , instead of having to make extra cuts and taking extra time , on each fin [ it DOES add up over the years , believe me ! ]

cheers

ben

A scroll saw seems appropriate…  Either that or a router with a small bit in a router table…