Dale, air bladders and resin boards....

First the disclaimer: I know nothing of surfmat construction, design, applications, etc – I am completely without a clue when it comes to them. I was watching the closeouts today at HB while the rugrats played in the sand (it was a real Mr. Mom moment) and I was hating the fact that I haven’t bought one of your mats yet Dale, I could have had a lot of fun with one today. I then started thinking about the surfmats and how they work etc… So Dale, Have you ever thought of combining an air bladder with a rigid surfboard? I was wondering of a silhouetted(sp.?) multiple chambered air bladder affixed to the bottom of a contemporary shortboard and or longboard. How do you think it would work? Any ideas on how to pull it off - meaning the construction etc…? By the way Dale, how do you build a surfmat? Thanks, Magoo

First the disclaimer: I know nothing of surfmat construction, design, > applications, etc – I am completely without a clue when it comes to them.>>> I was watching the closeouts today at HB while the rugrats played in the > sand (it was a real Mr. Mom moment) and I was hating the fact that I > haven’t bought one of your mats yet Dale, I could have had a lot of fun > with one today. I then started thinking about the surfmats and how they > work etc…>>> So Dale, Have you ever thought of combining an air bladder with a rigid > surfboard? I was wondering of a silhouetted(sp.?) multiple chambered air > bladder affixed to the bottom of a contemporary shortboard and or > longboard. How do you think it would work? Any ideas on how to pull it off > - meaning the construction etc…?>>> By the way Dale, how do you build a surfmat?>>> Thanks,>>> Magoo Thats an interesting idea…hard skin on the bottom with an inflatable deck?They are building boats using this theory.Or are you talking about an inflated bottom with a rigid deck?Nice thought Magoo!Hopefully Dale will enlighten us.

Thats an interesting idea…hard skin on the bottom with an inflatable > deck?They are building boats using this theory.Or are you talking about an > inflated bottom with a rigid deck?Nice thought Magoo!Hopefully Dale will > enlighten us. Hard deck with an inflatable bottom. The air mat would replicate the outline of the board. I used an air mat as a grom in the 70’s and my most distinct memories are of the speed… Perhaps the bladder could have slots that allow interchangable fins to be used if desired? Magoo

Hard deck with an inflatable bottom. The air mat would replicate the > outline of the board. I used an air mat as a grom in the 70’s and my most > distinct memories are of the speed…>>> Perhaps the bladder could have slots that allow interchangable fins to be > used if desired?>>> Magoo All good ideas, guys… in answer to your questions, I first experimented with inflatable/fiberglass hybrid surfcraft about 25-30 years ago. Very interesting results, but numerous additional problems… and bear in mind that I surfed for years as a standing surfer and am familiar with conventional shaping and laminating, fin design and their changeable/removable systems, hard bottoms/soft tops, etc. In simple terms, my surfmats are the result of creating an internal and external structure that serves as an accurate limitation to shape and volume, even though they are only used with about 2/3 air capacity… so flat that George Greenough has jokingly referred to them as his “Magic Towels”. Aside from the actual mil-spec materials of which the mats are composed, I use a substantial amount of electricity… compared to surfboard building, its a surprisingly clean process. Over the years Ive had to invent and fabricate nearly all my own equipment and tools, which have gradually evolved alongside my surfmat projects, and are constantly monitored with digital thermal sensors. Regarding the subject of inflatable surfboards, I recently completed and shipped the latest prototype (alluded to in previous posts) to Mr. Bob Simms in Hawaii for his evaluation… 6-5" @ 2 lbs. 3 oz. The original prototype I built for him was about 8-6" @ 4 lbs… actually much too light for that length, in offshore winds. Imagine the possibilities of a really fun, tough, sub-5 pound surfboard that deflates and easily packs down to less than 23" x 6"… bodyboards that weigh ounces, and sub-2 lb. kneeboards… Dale

Even better, what about a pair of really flat shoes that have a hard bottom. You swim into the wave, and once moving stand on your feet and skate across the wave. I would love to see someone tow into a big wave using water skis. I wonder how that would work.

Even better, what about a pair of really flat shoes that have a hard > bottom. You swim into the wave, and once moving stand on your feet and > skate across the wave. I would love to see someone tow into a big wave > using water skis. I wonder how that would work. Mike, If I remember correctly, I believe I`ve heard that famous surfer/waterman Pete Peterson and former world champion surfer Rolf Aurness were among those who have been towed into waves on water skis. Some day, I have no doubt there will be contests based on surfers who are attempting to ride the most bizarre objects, while being towed into the largest waves. Dale