Dale

I am devastated to learn of the passing of Dale Solomonson. My heart is broken. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends. 

Please take a moment to remember a happy exchange you may have shared with Dale here on the forum, or in person.

I will always cherish Dale’s kindness and generosity. May you Rest In Peace my friend. 

Dale was a friend of mine. We spent years talking surfboard design, mats, and hydrodynamics.  Usually at night in hour long conversations. He was also a huge contributer to this website while in its infancy as I’m sure Mike remembers and more than a few early members could attest. He was about as open minded as you can be and always quick to share his knowledge and opinions. He was a bit of a renansaince man; skateboard inovator, artist, sign painter (back when that meant something), mad surf scientist. He was a mentor and collaborater with some of the pioneers of our pastime; Greenough, Gross, Coffee, Pleskunis and probably more as he was definately not a name dropper. We drifted appart over the years as life changes us all.  He fell off the grid following a severe heart attack years ago. His business suffered as a result. I kept a light tether through mutual friends but that faded too. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I was enriched by his friendship as I hope all that knew him were as well.

Though I have lived only about 45 miles up the Oregon Coast from Dale I never got around to meeting him.  His health issues contributed to my not bothering him.  I first heard of him when he was featured in a Surfers Journal article on mats etc.   Then realized he was around this forum.  Was always interested in what he had to say.  My greatest interest was in his thinking regarding “Flex”.  Primarily how I might apply flex to boards I shaped.  I’ve never been one of those shapers who would latch on to one feature or one type of design and stick with it.  There are designs that I rode and shaped the first time around (60–70’s) and then discarded.  Many of those designs have beeen covered by other shapers and I have no interest in “Retro” .    But there is something to be learned from everything.    And that is why I looked hard at everything Dale did.  He was one of those innovators like Simon Anderson and others.  Would like to find that article in the Journal and reread and review the pics.   God bless his family.  Lowel