Dark Spots Showing - Dings Under Pigment Lam

Okay, so I’m disappointed with myself on this one even though every glass job I do is an improvement on the last. I have a red board that needed some major dings fixed as well as an entirely new tail. I sanded down the entire bottom of the board to weave and fixed the dings as per usual (with clear microballoons, cloth, etc.) then laminated a new layer of 2oz over the whole bottom. I laminated with pigment in hopes of creating a nice, new looking glass job. For the most part it looks okay. However, there are obvious dark spots coming through where some of the dings were. I then tried to do a pigmented hot coat which did help a little but it didn’t do a good enough job. Now I’m stuck. I really wanted a nice uniform color and I don’t know how to proceed. If it was me, I would gloss coat and ride the thing but I had hopes of possibly selling this one instead; it’s a restoration job of the Unity board I picked up a while back and although it’s watertight, it’s not what I pictured in my head. So what are my options? Sand it all back down? Rattle can the spots/entire bottom? Any help is appreciated. And yes, there is a good amount of weave touching through, no dry weave however.

Personally, I would rather see this than a solid opaque cover-up. I say finish it out and move on. Learn from it so the next one comes out closer to what you visualize.

I don’t think a buyer is gonna be critical of the dark spots, make it water tight and polish it up, sell it and move on to the next one.

I agree that it doesn’t look that bad but what would you have done different? More pigment? Maybe a concentration of white pigment before adding darker color? Maybe thicker cloth? All of the above???

[Quote]Personally, I would rather see this than a solid opaque cover-up.
[/quote]

Me too. Cuz in the interest of full disclosure this shows the repairs, whereas an opaque cover up can be hiding a multitude of sins!

I would’ve used q cel or white pigment over the dings instead of the clear microballoons. If you watch this fantastic restoration video, at 3:00 he mentions he makes every ding repair white because even with pigment it can show up darker. By the way, this is part 3 of a very informative video series on youtube.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll finish it up, post pics, and move on.

The dude in the video is doing solid resin panels … not adding a colored lam.

Colored hot coat will get mostely sanded through.

For solid color do highly pigmented resin panels.

Not saying it’s right or wrong - but a lot of people may wonder what’s underneath it.

Some people wanna see the history and wonder it’s life story.

Oh yeah, you’re right. Thanks for the input.