DBSS Long Board Restoration

In
an interesting digression from my 4th and 5th shaping and glassing, I
came across this nice vintage board costing little more than a song. It
needs some love, but I’ve always wanted a nice old log, so I’m going to
try and restore it as best I can. It is a Daytona Beach Surf Shop board
and the previous owner thinks it from the mid 60’s but I have no clue
how to judge. Dimensions are about  9’4" x 23" I’m going to taken some
more measurements later tonight (I’m really interested in the weight…
seems like 30 lbs)

Kind
of hard to see from those pictures, but there are several dings that
need to be fixed (including several that were fixed poorly), a bad
delamination about 8 inches long by 5 inches wide on one side of the
stringer, and some bad deck compression symmetrical on the other side of
the of the stringer (about 3/8" deep and with same dimensions as
delam).

So my rough plan is:
1. Remove all the old wax
2. Fix Normal Dings
3. Clean out delam and crushed area
4. Fill With Q-Cell as needed
5. Patch the Area
6. Sand the Whole Thing
7. Re Hot-Coat and Gloss

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Anything else I should include or remove from the plan?

Any info on the board, the shop, the shaper, etc. would be awesome as well.

I will post more pictures as the work progresses.

I don’t know if those images posted… adding as attachments.

Pretty cool board. As far as I know George Miller of Daytona Beach shaped those. He is still around and was inducted in the East Coast hall of fame at the last round of inductions. I used to love going to that shop in the 64 -65 time range when i started surfing. I think he noa has his label as Miller surfboards. The reflex was the coolest model in the 67-68 timeframe. This link gives some info,

http://files.surfingheritage.org/stokednboard/pdf/Daytona.pdf

Pretty cool board. As far as I know George Miller of Daytona Beach shaped those. He is still around and was inducted in the East Coast hall of fame at the last round of inductions. I used to love going to that shop in the 64 -65 time range when i started surfing. I think he noa has his label as Miller surfboards. The reflex was the coolest model in the 67-68 timeframe. This link gives some info,

http://files.surfingheritage.org/stokednboard/pdf/Daytona.pdf

Wow, thats some solid info.

I’ve been trying to do my research and I am suprised I never came across that link. Muchas Gracias

Nice project. I have a similar project with a Wardy that i started a little ago. That seems like a pretty good plan though. Are you going to go with a tinted resin or stay with the original foam color?

I think I’m just going to go with a clear lam. My glassing skills leave alot to be desired.

I am a little worried no that I pulled back the glass and can see just how differently colored the foam is. Any ideas?

depends on if you want to get out of it?

What I would do to make it a cool rider.

1) Sand the hell out of it. All the way down to the first layer of glass..but keeping the first layer of glass so it looks old. Do not sand to the foam.

1a) Doing this will eliminate the comp stripe, and reveal a new virgin colored foam patch...you will need to reaply the comp stripe when all finished.

1b) If you sand to the foam you will hit virgin foam and it will look like a new board. This is an option, but that would require removal of all glass and fin....and reshaping

2) So..fix all dings smooth and flush. fill them with cabisil, bondo, putty..what ever. I like light weight stuff. Slice into the delam on 3 sides...put resin under, reattach it with a vac bag, or a sand bag..sand it flat

3) Lightly glass over dings with 4 oz cloth, sand smooth and flush

4) Spray dings with matching color to existing foam.

5) Glass over entire board with a layer of 6oz, and hot coat.

6) sand board accordingly

7)  Now you will still have some sand throughs, dents and dips after all this.  Apply a sacrificial layer of 4 oz cloth over the entire thing...hotcoat again

8) sand all this smooth and flush....

9) tape off comp stripe and apply with gloss resin or Hotcoat resin

10) sand lightly, and gloss

11) Buff out

12) done. water tight, semi light. log rider ready for battle

Do it right and you will have a nice old board.

Good luck.

Finally got around to making some progress and snapping some more photos.

Stripped all of the old wax and it looks pretty good cleaned up. The dings and dents look a lot less devastating now. I also had the change to weigh the board… comes in at exactly 30lbs.

[img_assist|nid=1061675|title=DBSS_dewax1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=67|height=100][img_assist|nid=1061676|title=DBSS_dewax2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1061678|title=DBSS_dewax4|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1061677|title=DBSS_dewax3|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

I was trying to follow your advice resinhead, and take up only 3 sides of the delam, but in the process the 4 side started crumbling. I ended up just taking out the whole jagged patch. Suppose I will just have to reglass that whole section and pickup from there.

[img_assist|nid=1061679|title=DBSS_opened1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=67|height=100][img_assist|nid=1061680|title=DBSS_opened2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

I have already filled and leveled the depression on the deck. Thanks to the guys at Greenlight for the microballons and advice.

More progress to come this weekend.

1 Like

[quote=“mreda01, post:9, topic:43979, full:true”]
Finally got around to making some progress and snapping some more photos.

Stripped all of the old wax and it looks pretty good cleaned up. The dings and dents look a lot less devastating now. I also had the change to weigh the board… comes in at exactly 30lbs.

[img_assist|nid=1061675|title=DBSS_dewax1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=67|height=100][img_assist|nid=1061676|title=DBSS_dewax2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1061678|title=DBSS_dewax4|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67][img_assist|nid=1061677|title=DBSS_dewax3|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

I