Death Dealer Diamond Tail

Year Built2017
ShaperAndrew Wells
ManufacturerAndy Wells Surfboards
Model NameUnknown
LocationSouth Golden Beach NSW Australia

This is my latest project/collaboration with my good friend and best client a guy could have. No brief, no budget constraints, no deadline. A real gift for any artist I can tell you and one I am very grateful for. I painted vans and motorcycles back in the mid seventies and a lot of my inspiration came from my favourite and most requested artist, Frank Frazetta, so when Andy came to me and said he would love something that reflected my days as a custom painter, I leaped at the opportunity and pulled up one of Frazettas most iconic pieces… The Death Dealer. I started by doing a solid black pigment lamination on top and bottom, hot coats, then sanding dead flat with 60 grit for the plain black deck and down to 240 grit for the bottom where the airbrush work would be. The artwork was done after some 40 hrs in very hot and testing conditions, then covered with a 4 oz freelap lam and hot coat. An 80grit sand followed by Reichold Gloss coats, which were then progressively sanded from 500 all the way to 3000 3M Trizact pads. The polish came out flawless after a few hours per side. The sanding was the tedious part but the payoff is seeing a scratch free wet look shine come through. I loved this project and have a few more planned this year.