deck delamination repair help

Hi all,
I have an old funboard with a large section of the deck that has delaminated.
It is roughly 4’ long and spans the width of the board.
I already cut out most of the glass with a dremel, but left one side intact.
My plan is to cut a little more back and try to fold it over or just remove
it completely in a few sections. Then lay laminating resin down and fold it back down
with some weights on it. Sand it and add a new layer of glass over the top.

I would like to reuse the old glass in order to preserve the pigment.
Do I need to even out the foam with q-cell first and should I sand
the bottom of the old glass for a better bond? Im not sure if this is the right approach.

Forgive me if this question has been posted before, I just have not seen any answers with this specific repair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

That is a difficult repair only because the board is just about at a point of no return. Don’t use the old glass; that’s just asking for trouble. Try matching the colors if it’s that important. Are you repairing with PE or epoxy? Definitely fill the foam and sand it to shape before glassing. Will probably need three layers of glass (1) size and shape of the repair, (2) overlapping repair and (3) overlapping the 2nd layer. Lots of fiberglass feathering work to be done. Then fill coat and gloss coat. Good luck.

OK, I’m gonna give this my best shot, knowing that others will disagree. So take it with a grain of salt. I have seen others recommend the “slice, slop, and sandbag” routine, i.e. slice it open, slop some resin in there, and sandbag it all back down with a wax paper cover.

But with a good sized delam, I recommend cutting away all the loose glass, using resin and thickener to fair the surface, then re-glassing the delam area, with some overlap at the edges of at least one layer of glass. A fabric lam makes a nice cover to hide the damage.

I have never tried to re-apply the old glass, but if I did I would want to vacuum it down, and I would want to get some glass over the seam, some way somehow.

I’m not a pro, and I’m just offering my best response based on my limited experience repairing surfboards over the years.

Gunkie, Thanks for the advice. It’s PE board. I am going to take your advice and not mess with the old glass. What do you suggest for the glass? two layers of 6 oz. then a 4oz. ? I have never done any repairs this large, but I think it will be a fun project!

That looks pretty sweet Huck! I might try laminating some cloth.
Thanks!

Yes, but see Huck’s stuff. Really nice work.

Hey Huck, Did you lay that fabric down directly over the sanded q-cell/resin? And how many layers of glass did you put on there?

It’s been a little while, and I didn’t take a lot of pics. I think it’s probably 2 layers of glass with fabric between the layers. The first layer of glass would be just over the patches you see in the first pic. I was using epoxy resin, and I sprayed a thin coat of white epoxy paint over the whole fabric area first, so that the patches didn’t show thru.