Deep swallow tails ("adaptative" rocker?)

I’m interrested in building a hybrid shortboard with a deep swallow tail, inspirated in the Arc-Swallowtail Quad Fish from mandala.

I’ve readen things saying that a deep swallow will flex in tight turns, increasing rocker thus shortening the turning arc of the board, and even increasing release.

This effect will be desirable because my board will have a fairly wide tail, and I already have made a mini-simmons (my first craft) and its a blast, so much speed down the line, but don’t turn that easy… So I was searching for something that will be fast, but will turn better.

The board will be 5’8’’ x 20,5" x 2,5’’ with tail rocker 2 1/4" and nose rocker 4 1/2" .

The fin placement is not fully defined yet, but yes, I’m planning to put the trailing edge of my back fin a little closer to the back of the board than the swallow’s ending notch. The guy from mandala do it, maybe so the fin cluster dont get too foward due the deep swallow (and I think its looks nice…)

My doubt is if the board will work well, since I dont see those design elements out there very much

Thanks!

And there really is an Easter Bunny, a Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus is alive and well, at the North Pole.

Tail flex requires different construction not just a template change. But you can improve turning other ways…fin size and shape, placement, cant and toe in to name a few just in the fin arena.

Flex isn’t really a design element on my own personal boards. But I recall reading somewhere…

Larry Bertelman used to leave the (single) fin loose in the box on his stingers.

Steve Pendarvis makes a flex tail that actually flexes.

https://vimeo.com/5629225
What is Pendoflex?

And here’s link to intro for article on Steve P that is in SLIDE mag. Might be worth chasing down if really interested in tail flex though there are many ways to design one
http://www.pendo.com/2012/06/pendos-flex-science-in-slide-magazine-22/#content

Why wouldn’t the tail tips flex and help create a tighter arc?

I can flex the nose of a board using my hands will little effort.
That has a stringer mind you.

Wouldn’t the tips on a deep swallow bend even more-so on a full carving turn?

I do think they would, amount and how much snap back depending on glassing schedule and to some extent how much you thinned the foam and for how far forward. That’s what Pendervais does basically, takes a bunch of the foam out and then back fills with something more bendy that you can put your foot on.

Stiffness is directly proportional to the cube of thickness…
Increase thickness from 1 inch to 2 inches and stiffness is 8 times greater.

And feeling unglassed, shaped blanks it is obvious that most of the stiffness and “snap back” comes from the glass. Plus (I think) doesn’t the shape of the rail have a fairly large effect, round or elliptical stiffer than square

Tim Bowler of Shapes and Hulls been doing flex tails for years. He has had some boards in Mollusk shops in recent times. Construction similar to a Greenough Kneelo.