Del Cannon surfboards

Hi,

Did Del shape them all? Where? Windansea?

I have a line on a 10’0 with a Bahne bolt on fin in pretty good rideable shape. Some repairs but otherwise clean.

He wants $1k for it, I’m looking for a good vintage rider.

Were they good? crappy? (I’d be surprised, Del rips) made in '66 or '67?? .

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

I’m afraid I won’t be of much help: all I remember is seeing ads for Del CANNON surfboards in Surfer Mag in the early sixties and not seeing them anymore by, say, '68 or maybe '69. Seems like he did not make it into the shortboard “revolution”. But I remember very nice boards, as long as you can judge through photos in a mag… I assume Bill THRAILKILL will tell you a lot more…

John,

Del had his shop in San Clemente, and he is most likely the shaper. Del was a skilled designer/Shaper of surfboards of that period. If the Bahne box is the same as the current FU box, then the board probably dates from the '69/'70 time period. Hope that is of some help.

EDIT: If by “bolt-on fin” you mean that the fin position is fixed and not adjustable, then the date of manufacture will be earlier than indicated above. Most likely in the '67-'69 time period.

Thank you for all the insights. Del’s one of my favorite surfers from that era.

here’s the board

http://surfnhula.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2629

I like everything about it (except the price!), the repair work on the deck is disconcerting, a buckle repair?

Any & all opinions & advice is welcome. I’d like one vintage board in my quiver. Specifically form the '66-'68 “twighlight of the longboard era” period.

Thanks again!

John, I believe there’s a really clean Del Cannon board over at the Grotto for about that same price. It’s on the first board on the wall/ceiling looking from the counter into the shop. While it’s not the same shape as the on in the pic, it looks brand new compared.

Surfore

I agree.

Howzit Bill again, Just look at the rocker in that board, you didn't see that much rocker in boards in those days and I bet it rode great. Aloha,Kokua

Howzit T, I bet it didn't get ridden much since 1967 was the year that the shortboard was really starting to hit the scene. It is in nice shape for a board that is 44 years old. Aloha,Kokua

I know this is an old thread, but I'll reply anyway.  Yes, Del was my cousin and shaped all of his own boards from his shop in San Clemente, and his garage in Dana Point.

Del Cannon was the man, and in my eyes everything that Phil Edwards was and then some, not taking anything away from Phil.  The first board I stood on was my dad’s “ole Del Cannon”, because our boards all had names, back then.  Heck of a nice guy and a great board shaper.

Man.....could I tell YOU some stories.  I was WAY younger than him, but every summer I stayed with him at the beach.  Bruce Brown wanted to use Del for "The Endless Summer," (after Del had gigs is Bruce's early one reelers - BIG laughs all of them), but Del was married right out of high school and already had two kids and one on the way, and the wife wasn't keen.  He WAS the man.....funniest guy ever, but still lots of baggage from childhood.  I am SO GLAD that a very few still remember him.  Thank you SO MUCH!! 

Del Cannon was the real deal, and too bad he didn’t get that opportunity, look what it did for R.A. and Hynson.  It mad them legit in the public’s eye.

Jozelle,

I surfed with Delbert on  daily basis at Windansea, when he was part of the regular crew there.     It was Del that hired me for my first ''real'' shaping job, when he managed the San Diego Velzy shop, in 1960.    Del was one of the iconic surfers of that late 50's, early 60's era.     And you're right, a really funny guy, great sense of humor.    Remember his ''foam feet'' in the surf movie?    Really funny stuff, eh?

That is so totally wonderful to hear.  You know, when Del moved to Hawaii and operated the fishing boat for years, we barely heard anything.  And me being just a kid all those summers in San Clemente and Dana Point I don't remember everything I would have liked to.  I remember the Velzy shop, and how Del's favorite thing was driving like a bat out of Hell whenever he had people in his car and scaring everyone half to death (must have got that from his dad, my uncle).  You know, Bill, I really need to pick up the old two or three movies he did, now that they're on DVD.  Where are YOU now?

Or Bill.....how about the cans of 'Pork and Beans' (back in the days when the guys could rent a shack on the beach in Honolulu for probably 2 bucks a week) - Lol!

Jozelle,

That pork & beans scene, in the film, was really funny.    It was not far from the reality of subsistance North Shore living.    I'm still in the San Diego area.   I think Del was in early Bruce Brown films.     As I recall, Velzy provided the seed money for his first efforts.     I'll PM you with a contact phone number.

sorry to jump into the conversation but i recently purchased a 9’-6" pintail pig Del Cannonat the LB flea market for a steal and have ridden it a few times already and it rides beautifully. not to sure about the history of it. the guy i bought it from said it was most likely a '68. it needs some minor repairs around the tail. it seems to have a color hot coat that is coming off in some areas and a fin that appears to shaved down a bit on the tip. any help on the history of this board would be greatly appreciated. i can post a pic in a bit.

aloha, mike

He sure was. He was Bruce’s favorite subject, next to Edwards back then. Del was in Slippery When Wet and Barefoot Adventure, for sure. I don’t recall which film, but he did a bit where he broke into Hap Jacob’s shop ( or, maybe Walker’s?) and poured his own blank. The mix spilled out on the floor and he wound up with two large foam “feet” attached to his feet.

[quote="$1"]   

..he wound up with two large foam "feet" attached to his feet.

[/quote]

That was at the Walker factory, which was formerly the Velzy factory/showroom, in San Clemente.

After studying under Tinker, Del was the next shaper I had the chance to study doing the finest of rail bands and cuts, precision for sure