Del Cannon surfboards

Shawn,  I would love to pick his brain a bit when he returns.  That is a pretty amazing connection you have with you Dad.  don't ever get rid of them.......

Hi Bill,

Su Casa was a fun event. The best part was watching my Dad reconnect with his friends from the past. Thank you so much for making that possible.

I recently put together a shutterfly photo book with all my Dad's surf and fishing photos. We sat for hours and put headings and names to all the photos, it turned out amazing! We have shared the site with some of his friends and a few have ordered their own copies. I would be happy to share the photo book with you.

When my Dad returns from Thailand I will get him set up to view this forum and if anyone has questions they can post them to him. I

I definitely will never part with  any of my Dad's wonderful treasures.

Shawn 

so i finally got to working on the restoration of my Del and found the board number.  it is number 434.  after talking with some guys at the Boardroom show two weeks ago they had placed the board around '67.  not sure how Del numbered his boards but i would love to track down more info on it.  any additional help would be awesome. thanks

mike

Hi Bill and All,

I was thrilled to learn about the Surfoard Design Forum, see photos and read comments about my old boards. Although I no longer surf I am still an avid surfer.

I especially liked Dave from Carlsbad’s story and photo. The board looks to be in perfect condition. 

Regarding the boards I made for my daughters, who knew that these would be the lengths everyone would be riding in the future. I had to use a longboard blank which meant that the tails were relatively flat. I actually tried one at San Onofre and it was incredible how easy it was to maneuver but also difficult to stay in the wave so I didn’t give it any further thought. They both however surfed on the boards in San Onofre contests.

As far as numbered boards. I made boards in San Clemente from 65’-70’. At the time we left for Hawaii I was riding a 6 foot twin fin. I continued making boards on Maui and also shaped for Lightning Bolt before getting the fishing bug.

Aloha,

Del

great thread, what I love about swaylocks!

thanks Del for posting, and all the others too, for the board pics and background stories

(I too recall the big foam feet scene)

one of the old films had a sequence of Del Cannon in Japan, longboard surfing with a little kid.  wonder what ever became of the kid - he was good!

Het Del,

do you happen to remember what style (board name) the red board i have in the pictures was?  i knw thst probably is a crazy far out question but i thought i would ask.  i have to say, i love the way it rides and is incredibly quick and smooth.

are you still shaping at all?

thanks,

mike

That film was one of Bruce Brown’s. The scene was shot at Kanagawa (sp?) breakwater and the kid was Petey Johnson. The movie may be either Barefoot Adventure or Slippery When Wet.

Youtube clip from Surfing Hollow Days. Petey Johnson @ Waimea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6IcpAOd5iw

I could not find the Japan clip.

I would love to learn more about this Del Cannon I have. 

10’2" Wedge tapered stringer that is near non existent near the nose, Mild step deck, Outline is that of a long magic sam. Flatish tail, roll forward and most dramatic near the middle, the rails pinch up to one of the sharpest thinest edges I have ever seen. It is flexy, rides very nimble for its length, and is a just a mean clean slicer. Obviously it has been redone and the fin isnt original. I would like to know if i was a model and what was the inspiration for this design? Anyone else have a bladed out Del Cannon? 

Hey Del, do you remember this ad? Surfer Mag, March 1969.

If your interested. I worked for Del from 1967-70. I have post some information about Del Cannon.

Hope this works: Swaylock’s; '68 Del Cannon Surfboard

Del shaped all of his own boards at his shop in San Clemente; he lived in Dana Point.

There was a small, and short-lived surf shop, in Satellite Beach, Florida. It was called Cory’s Surf Shop. Sat Bch is five miles south of Cocoa Beach, home of the Hobgoods.

We carried DC’s and the short board revolution was in full swing. There were 6’0" single fin deep vee bottoms and 5’10" pocket rockets - mini guns. There were also 6’0" - 7’0" “fun shapes” that you could still nose ride.

I distinctly remember the color, pinlines, and high gloss, polished finishes. The quality was the best I had ever seen, it was just remarkable. Simply outstanding boards.

So, yes, the DC’s did make it into the short board era. This would have been in the 1967 -68 timeframe.

I worked for your dad from 1967-1970. I haven’t been in contact with him since then. I would sure like to reconnect with him.